Found a leak in the Frig.....

bobsue2

2s7ut7b.jpg
While packing up yesterday noticed a small water trail under the pantry cabinet...since I know there's not any plumbing in that area went outside and started the search...

Found a slow drip from the kitchen slide that wandered its way to the bottom of the slide and then into the unit...took the cover off and found one of the two big lines had a hole in the side which water was leaking out at a pretty good clip...

I'm experienced with soldering but don't know if these lines are under pressure or what...probably just call a mobile RV guy....trailer located in north FL outside of Hilliard.....

2s7ut7b.jpg

Last edited:

doxiecouple

We have recently had this same issue (twice) on our 2013 San Antonio. We dry it up and watch for a day but no water, then suddenly it appears again. Your picture shows a line that must be for an ice maker? We have no ice maker. Interesting thought here and I will investigate like you did. Thanks for the post.

bobsue2

No..don't think its the ice maker line...its the bottom big line thats black...at least 3/4"..thought I had a better picture than this using a flash...

96cp5s.jpg

danemayer

Hi bobsue2,

Looks like a Dometic 1350. I don't think there's water anywhere except 1) the water line solenoid, 2) the water line 1/4 tubing, 3) the drain hose.

If your frig is in a slide, the water feed cutoff valve should be behind the UDC. You have to remove the basement wall by the UDC to get to it. Turn it off. Then disconnect the feed line where it goes to the solenoid on the back of the frig and drain the line going into and the lines coming out of the frig.

If your leak stops, it's the feed line leaking somewhere.

Also check the water collection tray under the top shelf in the frig. It collects condensation from the fins and should be draining by way of the flexible 1/2" hose.

bobsue2

Thanks for the replies ....... its actually a Norcold unit..... looked around and found a better pic....right at the arrow point is where the leak is...

2r41i06.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm seeing your picture correctly and you are getting leakage from that large black pipe, that would be refrigerant.
But since the refrigerant is a gas/liquid I don't think your leak is from that black tube.
Are you absolutely certain that the 1/4 water line does not have a pinhole in it and is spraying on that tube?

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

bobsue2

Not coming from the 1/4" line....you could wipe down the black one and water would reappear instantly....

However..what doesn't show up in my actual pic is that the big line appears to be wrapped with some kind of metal wrapping....couldn't tell for sure whether or not the leak was from the pipe or leaking from under the wrapping.....everything above this point was dry....

brianharrison

That tube is part of the refrigeration unit which the fluid is a liquid combination of water, ammonia, hydrogen gas and sodium chromate. It is all at a pressure of 300 to 375 psig. Any leak there would drip/spary out the solution (at that point it is a rich ammonia solution); it should evaporate and leave a crusty yellow/mustard colored scale. The fridge should stop cooling with enough leak.

Here is a quick picture (stolen from another website, copyright RV Mobile Inc).

Attachments

• coolunit.jpg
    coolunit.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 26

danemayer

Turn off the water supply and drain the line. Then see if the leak continues. Also check the condensation water tray inside and the drain tube.

bobsue2

Thanks brian... you're right..this can't be coolant..the fridge works fine...just leaks water...must be some other place its coming from... as many times as I wiped it dry..if it was coming from the 1/4" line...it should've sprayed my hand plus the tubing itself would be wet as well and its not...????

brianharrison

I suspect the drain hose from the fin drip tray (inside the fridge) has come loose (or not there) and it may be dripping out the back of the fridge, down inside the insulation(?) and that is the lowest point where it cannot find anything else to run down and it appears at that point.

There is a small hole to drain this catch tray through the back wall of the fridge. It usually goes down a tube and emerges out the lower vent guard. It usually has a bug screen/cap on the end.

Brian

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do not have a Norcold but most refrigerators have a condensate drain line that have a plastic screen type of plug.
Is that what you saw?
Its position should have that tube exiting one of the vent holes in the cover.
It sounds like your condensate is not draining outside.

Peace
Dave