Frame Paint Lacking

bigdob24

Found it kinda strange , my 2018 RV had a bad case of rust on the frame on both sides under the front half and also the hitch.
I had this only last RV but it was after 4 years and some winter pulls .
I did contact Heartland and they said it’s not a warantee item.
it is easy to remedy, I scratched it all up, cleaned it off and used a frame saver paint and then finish coated it with a satin black rustolium paint. It looks acceptable for a brush job, but a good spray job from the factory with a quality paint would have been a lot better
BT

Last edited:

sengli

The frames are from lippert, and they say they have paint on them. I found even though I never pulled my unit in the sloppyness, of winter driving, The finish doesnt hold up at all. I used some automotive rust proofing in a can, to cover the areas on my frame.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I have painted the frames on both of our Bighorns. This ‘17 model sooner than the first one. Maybe even less paint finish LOL!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHCelt

I think that they paint them with a magic marker. I too had to paint the exposed frame, but utilized fluid film on the less visible parts, axles etc. Nice stuff.

NHCelt

Celt
What is fluid film ?
BT

Fluid film is a corrosive protectant that sprays onto exposed metal and provides about a year's worth of rust protection. It is safe and non-toxic. Cost is about $50.00 per gallon and 1 gallon does the underside of my truck and fifth wheel. It does require a compressor and a special spray gun to apply. There are retailers that will apply it here in the northeast, but it is more cost efficient to spray my own.

Once a year rust protection. Additionally, it has lubricating properties and is safe for wiring, plastic etc...no need to be careful spraying. I recommend it highly.

https://www.fluid-film.com/

bigdob24

Never heard of film fluid, learned something today
Bottom line is Lippert needs to use a paint that will hold up.
‘Sure it’s going to Up the cost a bit but I had several hours of my time in prep and painting time that could be elemanated.
BT

Sowie

I second the use of fluid film. I buy it in a spray can. Found it at my trailer repair shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ksucats

being a bit on the sarcastic side but they might be skimping on the amount of paint to save weight. Might provide us a pound or two more stuff we (or the Missus) can throw in the coach. Know paint adds a bunch of weight to an aircraft LOL.