Frame Warranty

Lou_and_Bette

We have lived in our RW for 3 years now and, while things are still good with me, I see the DW looking longingly whenever she goes through some of the coaches like at the Urbana rally. I have even heard her utter things indicating that I might think about giving up the Harley in my advanced age (?68) So, I started exploring the possibility of attaching a swivel wheeled trailer to a LM, or a BH. I heard some outhouse rumors that attaching anything to the frame would void my Lippert frame warranty. I decided to go directly to the source and called Lippert's tech support today to see if this was the case. The answer I received neither confirmed or denied a modification to the frame would void their warranty and a decision would be based on a case by case basis. Not the best assurance to base spending $60K. I asked the service tech about having Lippert attach the hitching hardware and, while not making a definite commitment, seemed to indicate that this would improve my chances of having a problem considered covered under warranty. So, a new rig may be in our future depending on what kind of deal McGeorge's can make us.

jbeletti

Wow Lou - I didn't know you were "in the market". Bette - different story :)

I can't weigh in on the dual swivel wheel trailer, frame and warranty issues - but I'm pleased to see you do your best to stay in the Heartland family :)

JanAndBill

Lou, while in TN this spring I stepped outside one evening to find what looked to be a new Landmark two spots down, sporting 3 axles. On the rear was a hydraulic lift platform with not one but 2 bikes. I had never seen a 3 axle Landmark before, so I don't know if all of this was aftermarket or from the factory. The folks left to early the next morning to ask.

Lou_and_Bette

Jim, I didn't know I was in the market either, but when so many "seasoned RVrs" were buying new rigs I figured they were doing very good deals. Bette has been "lusting" after a different rig, and since her birthday/wedding anniversary is tomorrow, if figured she deserved something nice (5 years ago on the same day she got the Harley.) Bill, I looked at so many rigs there in Urbana that had some type apparatus attached that could potentially void the frame warrnty, I figured I would just "go for it." John Lindstrom looked at me when I asked about his modification and said "Lou, it's not a problem until its a problem."

P.S Bette says she would feel like she was "cheating" if we changed brands, so Heartland is stuck with us for a while

jbeletti

Lou, while in TN this spring I stepped outside one evening to find what looked to be a new Landmark two spots down, sporting 3 axles. On the rear was a hydraulic lift platform with not one but 2 bikes. I had never seen a 3 axle Landmark before, so I don't know if all of this was aftermarket or from the factory. The folks left to early the next morning to ask.

Jan and Bill,

Heartland only built one Landmark floor plan in a triple axle configuration - the Monticello. It was built in the 2006 timeframe and may have only been built one or two years.

jbeletti

Lou,

I am so happy for you and Bette!

Though you stuck with Heartland, with regard to those who move onto another brand, it happens all the time. In fact, one couple at the rally in their Heartland ended up buying a Redwood from McGeorge's RV. It happens. The way I look at it, life is too short to compromise on an RV brand and floor plan that fits you best and it's never worth losing a friendship over.

That said, am I happier you chose to stick with the Heartland family? YOU BETCHA!

Love you guys and see you at the NE Regional Rally in July!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Until somebody comes up with a floorplan better than our 2009 BH3670, we'll stick with ours

jimtoo

Until somebody comes up with a floorplan better than our 2009 BH3670, we'll stick with ours

Same here,,,unless someone has a bunch of money they don't need,,, then I might be persuaded to maybe pick out a new Bighorn or Landmark. :)

clayhud

Lou,

I have been researching the swivel wheel trailer for a while now. I need a way to haul my "Wide Glide" while traveling. It is my understanding the Lippert frame warranty us only 1 year, not sure if that is correct. I looked at John Lindstrom's attachment and was impressed with how much weight it could handle. Most likely I will be taking my rig to the local welder soon to have it modified for three (3) receivers, all class 3's to accommodate the swivel wheel. All the best in you search and tell Bette we said hello.....hope to see you down the road for another round of golf.

donr827

Lou,I have been researching the swivel wheel trailer for a while now. I need a way to haul my "Wide Glide" while traveling. It is my understanding the Lippert frame warranty us only 1 year, not sure if that is correct. I looked at John Lindstrom's attachment and was impressed with how much weight it could handle. Most likely I will be taking my rig to the local welder soon to have it modified for three (3) receivers, all class 3's to accommodate the swivel wheel. All the best in you search and tell Bette we said hello.....hope to see you down the road for another round of golf.
I have read where a owner had the welder add some braces on other parts of the trailer for more strength........Don

Lou_and_Bette

Lou,

I have been researching the swivel wheel trailer for a while now. I need a way to haul my "Wide Glide" while traveling. It is my understanding the Lippert frame warranty us only 1 year, not sure if that is correct. I looked at John Lindstrom's attachment and was impressed with how much weight it could handle. Most likely I will be taking my rig to the local welder soon to have it modified for three (3) receivers, all class 3's to accommodate the swivel wheel. All the best in you search and tell Bette we said hello.....hope to see you down the road for another round of golf.

Not sure how Lippert will deal with me if an issue arises but will deal with that if/when a problem occurs. Have pretty well decided that the Swivel Wheel trailer from Cruiserlift.com looks like the best choice for me. I am lucky in regards to a welder, my son-in law's uncle is a welder of many years and has taught welding not only at the local Com college but was the instructor for the welders who worked at Ingalls ship yards who build ships for the Navy. So, may go that route instead of hauling everything to one of Lippert's facilities. Don, I plan on adding all the extra bracing my welder thinks is important from every angle.

Clay, hope we can get another round of golf in soon.

JanAndBill

Lou, maybe now would be a good time to get a scooter to match Bette, she might even let you put some Harley decals on it :)

porthole

Retired
Not sure how Lippert will deal with me if an issue arises but will deal with that if/when a problem occurs. Have pretty well decided that the Swivel Wheel trailer from Cruiserlift.com looks like the best choice for me. I am lucky in regards to a welder, my son-in law's uncle is a welder of many years and has taught welding not only at the local Com college but was the instructor for the welders who worked at Ingalls ship yards who build ships for the Navy. So, may go that route instead of hauling everything to one of Lippert's facilities. Don, I plan on adding all the extra bracing my welder thinks is important from every angle.

Clay, hope we can get another round of golf in soon.

Lou, is your tourpak removable?

I have been looking at the swivelwheel DW58 for awhile. Would like to know the real bed dimensions. My thought being to possibly enclose it with sheet aluminum diamond plate.
My bike is over 8' with the tourpak, but mine is detachable.

I like the idea of enclosing the bike - out of site out of mind.

But, there are bike covers that are certified for over the road use on open trailers. Just not sure how I want to handle that and custom paint.

This is one of the versions I mentioned to Bette

http://www.gatorhide.com/

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Lou, is your tourpak removable?

I have been looking at the swivelwheel DW58 for awhile. Would like to know the real bed dimensions. My thought being to possibly enclose it with sheet aluminum diamond plate.
My bike is over 8' with the tourpak, but mine is detachable.

I like the idea of enclosing the bike - out of site out of mind.

But, there are bike covers that are certified for over the road use on open trailers. Just not sure how I want to handle that and custom paint.

This is one of the versions I mentioned to Bette

http://www.gatorhide.com/

Duane, a 43' Landmark with a 6'-8' swivelwheel on the back. That's alot of rear end hanging out there.

Lou_and_Bette

Jan&Bill, NO!!!!!:mad: Duane, I don't have quick disconnect Tour Pack, so was thinking about leaving uncovered and gritting my teeth at thought of bike exposed to all the crap...thanks for the link for cover, I will explore that further. When I get a good look at trailer, I will look into building inclosure - would lend more credibility to not being a double tow. As a side note Duane, made our reservation for Earle 9/15 - 9/22 but won't have bike with me...looks like biking is done for this season. :(