Fresh Water at Dump Station

piet10

I am brand new at this, so this may be a dumb question. We just returned from our maiden voyage, and drained all the tanks at the dump station where I store the Greystone. When we take it out again in 3 weeks, is it acceptable to use the faucet at the dump station to refill the fresh water tank as long as I use a white hose? The faucet is not labled as potable or non-potable, so I assume it is potable. Where do you refill the fresh tank while on the road?

Thanks for any replies.

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Be careful! Many dump stations have signs saying the water is non potable meaning undrinkable. I would always ask if a sign is not posted.

mallard29s

I would fill up at the appropriate water supply at your next stop. I would discourage filling anywhere near the dumping station.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It's probably from the same water supply but I've never filled or used that water for anything but flushing the black tank and rinsing off the hose and sewer outlet etc.
I either fill at home or at the campgrounds filling station as needed. I also filter any water that goes into the trailer using a combo sediment and charcoal filter set-up. That's just me though.

GOTTOYS

Not me..I don't want to handle anything near the dump station and risk getting contamination in my fresh water tank. I drain my fresh tank at the end of every trip and put only a few gallons in fresh for "road water" at the start of the next one. We almost always camp where there is a water hookup...Don

danemayer

is it acceptable to use the faucet at the dump station to refill the fresh water tank as long as I use a white hose? The faucet is not labled as potable or non-potable, so I assume it is potable.
It might be acceptable to the last guy who used the dump station and contaminated the faucet. Probably not so much for you.

At a dump station, you know one thing for sure. There's been a lot of sewage dumped. You don't know if the water is potable.

pegmikef

We usually put a few gallons in from home unless we are boondocking then I will fill it unless I know there is a good water source at the destination. Many national, forest service, and state parks often have several water points spread out in the campgrounds. Also, when I know we will be using the fresh water tank I carry a six gallon water can so I can replenish the fresh water tank as needed without running a bunch of hose or moving the rig.

billnsue

We have managed KOA campgrounds for the past 11 years from California to Maine and each one I can remember require a sign per the health department and KOA Corporate that a sign must be posted stating "not potable water". And all for good reason, as stated if you think about folks using that water to rinse the black tank, maybe something on their hands and touching that same spigot and then you put your white water hose on......you get the picture. It's a learning curve and you learn everyday. Enjoy and be safe!

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Whew! Thanks everybody! I was not sure if I should say "Yuk, never use it!" so I'm glad everyone else did!!!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Not only don't use the water at the dump station for drinking think about this. You water spiket at campsite is low enough that a dog or other wild animal could pee on it or it could be contaminated in some other way. I always wipe it off with a Clorox wipe before using.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
You didn't say were you store your Trailer. Some have potable water that you could use. It would probably be no worse than what is at your outdoor faucet at home. Now I am not talking about the faucet at the dump station. If none is available wait until you arrive at a campground. However be careful, if you fill up at a campground that uses it's own well water you could have some problem with the water turning bad very quickly. City water usually has enough floride in it to keep it safe for a longer period of time.

BC

BC

KWire

City water usually has enough floride in it to keep it safe for a longer period of time.

Bob, I think you meant Chlorine instead of fluoride. Fluoride is added to control tooth decay, and there are lots of questions about it's safety...

Keith

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Speaking of Chlorine, if you have water in the fresh tank that might sit awhile. Put some chlorine (bleach) in it. You should also flush all the water lines now and then with the bleach. As to the "dump station" water hose. If you used it the fill the fresh tank, your 1st drink of water or cup of coffee might be your last. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....DONT USE IT.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob, I think you meant Chlorine instead of fluoride. Fluoride is added to control tooth decay, and there are lots of questions about it's safety...

Keith

Yep you are correct.. Thank you for bringing this to my attention..

BC