Fresh Water Drain Issue - 2013 Trail Runner 29BHG

dynrat

My wife and I bought our first full size trailer, a TrailRunner 29BHG, last week. We used it over the Memorial Day weekend and are loving it so far. We had a very old pop-up before this and I can see already there is going to be a lot to learn.

The unit is great, but I do have one criticism. The drain for the fresh water tank is right over the front axle. The line hangs down far enough that the valve is actually rubbing on the leaf spring. The problem is that when going down the road the leaf spring flips the valve open and dumps all the fresh water. This turned out not to be a huge issue because the campground we stayed at had a station for filling the tanks on the way in, but I'd really like to do something to prevent this in the future.

My first thought was just to shorten that line by approximately 4" to get the valve above the spring. However, it would also be easier to use the valve if it wasn't over the axle and behind the wheel. So I was actually thinking about using a couple elbows to run the line along the frame rail and then have the valve come down behind the rear axle where it would be easier to get to as well as not getting opened by the spring.

Being new to RV plumbing... Does anyone see an issue with either of these ideas? Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated.

danemayer

Re: Fresh Water Drain Issue - 2013 TrailRunner 29BHG

Hi dynrat,

Congratulations on your new TrailRunner and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of helpful information here along with a great bunch of friendly people.

You might be able to just reposition the drain hose where it comes out of the coroplast. But it wouldn't be too hard to shorten or re-route the drain hose. Since it's not pressurized, the hose fittings aren't as critical as on other parts of the plumbing. You mainly need a reliable leak-free connection coming from the tank and going into the valve.