Fresh water holding tank

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3600RL and have never put water in the fresh water tank because we stay in RV parks. We took delivery on Oct., 2008. The gauge that designates the amount of water in your tanks has read zero, empty, until this morning while I was checking the other tanks to see that they were empty and the fresh water tank showed one third full. First time that has happened. Crawled under the RV to the drain, opened it and a little water came out. Left it open for a couple of hours until we got to the next RV park and it still read one third full with the valve open. Crawled under the RV again and if I push up on the bottom cover, a little more water will drain out after a couple of seconds. It will not drain unless I push up on the bottom, and then again, very little water. It is not coming from behind the cover, it is coming out the drain because if I put my finger over the drain hose, there is no more water until I take my finger away, then again, a trickle. Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

Gary Phillips

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
From what you describe, it sounds like your tank may be getting filled through your water pump. The pump is plumbed into the system so that when the system is under pressure, the pump has water pressure pushing against it "backwards" The pump has a built in check valve in the pump chamber. Since you don't use it, the seals may be drying out. There is a valve on the suction line between the pump and the tank. Make sure this valve is closed. If it's not, your fresh tank will slowly fill through the weak pump seals. You should not have to replace your pump, it should still work fine but you'll need to keep that valve closed when hooked up to city water and open it if you ever need to use the pump.
Regarding the tank level sensors. Don't trust them. They never are 100% accurate. Don't ask...