Fresh Water Tank Capacity

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim, i don't know the answer to your question, but i would say that if the question can be answered, it will be answered on this site. This is an amazing site.

Uncle Rog

We use a charcoal filter canister type filter when filling the tanks or using city water, am considering a 12v pump for refills because of my problem of not having a 75 gal water tank, in concert with a 15 gal drum.......

Timperly

Filling Water While Boondocking

Thanks everyone...my back feels better already looking at the pumps. This site is so helpful.

I am breaking camp in the morning and headed back to New England and the snow.

Jon

timk

Jon,
You already have everything you need. Pop off the panel behind the docking box. Then just turn a couple of valves to cause the pump to draw from the winterizing tube, rather than the tank.
You can use the water directly from the jugs, or just pump it out of your jugs into the water tank with your garden hose, by sticking it into the hose fill. You'll be surprised how quick it will empty a jug.
TimK

Uncle Rog

TIMK, I wonder if the water pump is tough enough to run for that long with out wearing out premateurly? I have never wore one out before, I just wonder?

timk

I suppose there would be more wear on the pump, pumping your water in and out. There might be a expected lifetime rating somewhere, if a person knew where to look. I don't recall ever wearing one out.

I was just pointing out, that you don't need to get anything new, or haul anything extra, to get the job done. If your pumping 50 gallons in and out every few days or so, I would think a seperate pump would be a good idea.
TimK

Uncle Rog

Point well taken, I might try it out this weekend in the driveway, might even be cool to add some hose / valve to where you could switch with out pulling the bulkhead.......

timk

Moving the valves would be a great idea. I do think it might make your head hurt to think about it. There's lots of hoses under there.
TimK

Uncle Rog

I concur, however I estimate it would take just shy of a six pack to figure it out and maybe $10-$20 in parts to do a pretty clean job. Nothing to worry about now, maybe in furnace creek in February when I will have some other help to figure it out. I will let you know if I do.....

J

Jim_1899

Tmk,
I use the suction hose to winterize but I thought it just filled up the water lines and bypassed the fresh water tank. I have never tried to fill my fresh water tank up without a hose but have wondered about this.

Does the suction hose that is located by the heater bypass valves suck the water to the tank.

vangoes

jim1899
The suction hose will definately bypass the water heater and the fresh water tank if all the valves are turned according to the owners manuel. I dont know if there is another configuration of the valves(some open...some closed) that will divert the water to the tank. My guess is that there is as shoreline water can be diverted into the tank. All in all, it is a very good question. Like stated in an earlier response, its at least a six-pack thought process (and still will probably result in a headache)

timk

Guys,
Your over thinking it. The winterizing hose does bypass the tank. But it does go into the supply system, providing pressure just like you were taking water out of your main tank. Just plug one of your outside hoses in, then stick it into the main tank fill opening. Then turn your pump on, and it will pump, out of your jug, into your standard coach plumbing, then out your hose, into the main freshwater tank.

TimK

svd

I think what Tim meant was to use the suction line on the water pump to draw the water from your portable tank, and then connect your quick disconnect hose in the docking station and run that hose into the water tank fill opening.

J

Jim_1899

The quick disconnect comes out at the bottom of the docking station? Then you would just extend it with another hose to your fresh water input hole. Then you would not have to purchase a pump right.