Fridge not working and range hood vent not working

lws3224

New Owner here. Thanks for all the input on another post I created a few weeks ago. I am the owner of a 2015 Heartland Elkridge fifth wheel. I discovered yesterday to the Fridge Beeping a code DC low. I checked the manual and it says it's not an owner serviceable problem. We turned it off and I had planned to call a service tech today but thought I was post first. We had the fifth wheel hooked to 30 Amp. We were able to change it to a 50 AMP connection, I assume that I possible ran over the 30 AMPs causing the problem. I notices that the hood vents and light on the stove will not work and the light between the Fridge and Stove will not work. We have checked the fuse boxes and nothing is tripped. I tried to turn the Fridge back on and it's not getting any power. I assume these 3 items are on the same circuit since they are not getting any power. Has anyone had this problem ? Thanks in advance.

LeAnn and Kyle

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
LeAnn, all the things that are not working are on a 12V fuse. You need to check all the fuses...not the circuit breakers. A blown fuse with have a red LED light on next to the one that is blown.

Garypowell

If I understand correctly the red light will only illuminate if there is a load on the circuit. So if you have turned off your fridge the light might not show up.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of things come to mind.
You may have a wire that has come loose at a connection. Under that slide, attached to the frame may be an electrical junction box.
I would take the cover off that box and inspect the connections.
There will be some 120 volt connections there as well, so be careful.
Your battery may also be running low.
If you were on 30 amp, there is a chance that you were not charging the battery.
Have you checked the battery voltage?
Are all other 12 volt items working?
One other thing. If you inspected the 12 volt fuses, did you test them or just look for the red LED?
The red LED will not glow if there is no call for 12 volt on that circuit. Be sure to have the light switch turned on before checking the LED.
You may be able to identify the correct 12 volt fuse by looking at the legend on the fuse panel cover.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

I know that there are a few years between our rigs, but on mine the refrig, stove are lights and stove fan are all on the same DC fuse. The 12 volts on mine came from the fuse panel to the back of the refrig (look for a terminal panel on the back - outside access panel - of the fridge, with just 2 terminal spots) Mine has the 2 wires coming in from the fusepanel, 2 wires connected to the fridge circuit board, and 2 wires going off to the side for the stove area 12 volt stuff.

I actually had the supply wire coming from the fusebox stretched tight across the back of the fridge, and making a corner around the threads of an exposed screw. Of course this was the +12 volt wire, and the screw was grounded to the fridge metal mounting plate. I had intermittent shorts blowing the circuit fuse, and the whole circuit including the fridge cutting out for 6 months as I drove down the road, until I found the problem.

lws3224

It does not seem to be the battery but we checked the fuse and it is OK but when you take the fuse out- it does NOT light up red so it appears that the circuit is not getting any power. We found the access panel but did not find anything wrong but we really did not know what we were looking for. We will look again tomorrow. Thanks everyone

wdk450

You can't SEE very many electrical problems. Any RV owner who is going to be self sufficient needs to own an AC/DC volt/Ohm multimeter, and have a basic idea on how to use it. If your refrig/stove is in a slide, then the supply wiring is subject to flexing, and possible breaks in the wiring. If your fuse for the circuit is not blown, then a broken wire is the more likely scenario. Again, if you can find the 2 wire 12 volt DC input terminal strip on the refrigerator you can put a DC voltmeter across the 2 terminals and see if the juice is there.

A little internet searching can find you videos on how to use a multimeter.