Front landing gear not working

wdk450

Mitch:
You can get the Venture repair kit here for about $35 less than from Lippert: http://www.myrvpartsplacestore.com/Venture-Mfg_bymfg_5-1-1.html

If you see the top bevel gears turning, but the landing gear legs not moving, I can only guess that you have sheared the 920-00 pin under the gear which transfers movement to the threaded rod (See page 3 of http://www.myrvpartsplacestore.com/Venture-Mfg_bymfg_5-1-1.html ). I have a hard time understanding why this happened to both legs at the same time.

Good luck!!

My bad, took out one leg to inspect and what had happened is I had retracted the gear to far and hit the stop on the bottom of the leg, then with gears still turning it pulled the centering plate(905-10) out of one side of the outer tube(902-30). Now to try and back of the jack nut slip the centering plate back into the outer tube and then put a guset around the tube and never run the gear all the way up.
Steve
BC 2950RK

Landing gear fixed, poor design holding centering plate, just pinched in place on the outer tube. Before reinstalling I tac welded the pinch tabs to the centering plate. Before all said and done will look to adding some type of limit switch or stop light to keep from retracting to far again.

Steve
BC 2950RK

Last edited:

wdk450

Landing gear fixed, poor design holding centering plate, just pinched in place on the outer tube. Before reinstalling I tac welded the pinch tabs to the centering plate. Before all said and done will look to adding some type of limit switch or stop light to keep from retracting to far again.

Steve
BC 2950RK

This has been mentioned in previous landing gear threads. I put a stainless steel screw hose clamp around each leg with a piece of flat metal shelf bracket on each side where the centering plate cutouts are, to hold it in the center of the leg.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Good Afternoon Gentlemen and Ladies,

I now join the members who have had Lippert/Venture landing gear issues. The door side gear turns and works. The drivers side slips in and out without grabbing the motor. Ideas while I am on my way to the Lippert drawings?

wdk450

Good Afternoon Gentlemen and Ladies,

I now join the members who have had Lippert/Venture landing gear issues. The door side gear turns and works. The drivers side slips in and out without grabbing the motor. Ideas while I am on my way to the Lippert drawings?

Passenger side working, drivers side not working is a classic symptom of the screw on the connecting drive shaft between the 2 legs having its screw shear off, or come out (by the driver's side leg, near top). This transfers mechanical movement from the motor/gearbox to the driver's side leg.

caissiel

These legs with the centering plate held are great performers. I would greatly recomend doing the hose clamp and flat plate method before troubles happens. Its not If will happen but when. It happend to all my previous units including this one. I installed clamps when hand cranking got hard rather then when failure happened. These jacks will turn fairly easy, just look at the size and type of gear drive, its not that strong to do the job.

KiwiRVer

Hi Paul

Off topic but I noted your were towing a BC around NZ. Braver than I would be. Although your unit is a smaller one I am not sure I would want to be towing a fiver of that size around some of the roads in NZ. I am thinking places like the East Coast of Northland where the roads are pretty tight and windy. We took our last rig (35') on some pretty tight back roads in the US but some of our NZ roads are even tighter and definitely narrower.

There is no doubt that these US fivers are a significant step up in luxury from the average NZ caravan but you still have my admiration.

One thing I can attest to is that customer service in the US is at a totally different level to what we are used to in NZ so hopefully that carries over to your local dealer.

Cheers
Craig

kc57

I own a 2009 28 foot sundance have had this problem 4 times 2 times heartland paid to have fixed 3rd didn't have time to wait on heartland to get it fixed, I replaced the jack leg my self. The fourth time I found a replacemnt for those landing gear system, it is made by BULL DOG. It has two landing gears each one has its one motor on it. It was fairly easy to install. I did my self for under $ 600.00, I think any rv repair center could put them on. So far after 6 months the best money I have spent.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
The repairs are made. I have to tell you, laying on top of my generator was the pits. Bill was absolutely right, the small wrist pin that holds the top gear in place sheared. Without our generator in place I probably could have had the repair done in an hour or so. Climbing in and out of the compartment was a real treat!

ChangingPlaces

Hi Paul

Off topic but I noted your were towing a BC around NZ. Braver than I would be. Although your unit is a smaller one I am not sure I would want to be towing a fiver of that size around some of the roads in NZ. I am thinking places like the East Coast of Northland where the roads are pretty tight and windy. We took our last rig (35') on some pretty tight back roads in the US but some of our NZ roads are even tighter and definitely narrower.

There is no doubt that these US fivers are a significant step up in luxury from the average NZ caravan but you still have my admiration.

One thing I can attest to is that customer service in the US is at a totally different level to what we are used to in NZ so hopefully that carries over to your local dealer.

Cheers
Craig

Hi Craig
As you know that the roads over here in NZ are windy and narrow, but well worth it for the scenery. It sure adds to the driving skills.
I would love to come to the States to tour around sometime.
Best wishes
Paul

rick_debbie_gallant

Landing gear not working 3670R, 2010! Got rig back after having correct track and never fail bushings installed.

Problem: legs not going up or down with electric motor.

Motor is running just not working either leg!

Crank will move landing gear up and down.

Bevel shear pin sheared? Any ideas? Easy fix?

wdk450

Landing gear not working 3670R, 2010! Got rig back after having correct track and never fail bushings installed.

Problem: legs not going up or down with electric motor.

Motor is running just not working either leg!

Crank will move landing gear up and down.

Bevel shear pin sheared? Any ideas? Easy fix?

With symptoms of motor running but NEITHER leg moving would indicate gear reduction unit defective. Here is a link to the Domar gear box, which has a metal (rather than plastic) case. It is compatible with the Venture brand landing gear installed in Heartlands: http://www.domarproducts.com/gearbox.html

Upon re-reading your post, I am now confused as to the problem, as the manual crank mates with the motor output shaft, so when you manually crank the system, it is the same as the motor cranking the system. The only other cause of motor sound, no movement, I can think of would be in the motor. There are gears in the motor assembly too that can strip out, and thus you would hear the motor but see no leg movement. I suggest you take the crank out and look at the motor shaft the crank engages to see if it is turning when someone presses the motor switch. On the 2nd page of this link is a drawing of the Venture landing gear system.
http://www.venturemfgco.com/admin/uploadfiles/image/file/LG-Specs.pdf

Are you SURE the legs were not moving when you hand cranked? This system is pretty geared down and you have to crank a lot to see a little movement.

BTW, as I was looking up the "Venture RV landing gear" on Google, I noticed about 6 different sales vendors of the motor came up on the search page.

Last edited:

rick_debbie_gallant

Are you SURE the legs were not moving when you hand cranked? This system is pretty geared down and you have to crank a lot to see a little movement.

Legs did move when I cranked. Both if them. Nothing moved with the motor running. At first I thought it was dead battery. Until the third one got put in. Then I thought it was a fuse. Anyway them motors is sure quite. I will look at the motor gears.