Front storage shelving?

traveler44

I am thinking about putting a shelf in the front storage compartment. This seems to be a problem trying to figure out how to make use of some of the wasted upper space but still have enough room to access what is stored on it. Right now I'm thinking a shelf that is deeper on the ends but narrower in the middle. The compartment door being so low creates a problem all around with using this compartment for storage. Have any of you come up with a good way to use more of this storage space? Tom

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rather than fixed shelves, what about a hanging wire basket or bin of some kind? Then you could just lift it off and down to get what you want and hang it back up. I'm thinking of something like the parts bins that hang on a cleat on the wall. They come in larger sizes. If you still have the OEM electric front jacks, then you also have to contend with the cross-bar that operates the ODS jack being in the way.

No room in my front compartment. That's where I store my disassembled patio box and other seasonal goods.

Bins something like these: http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/ultra_stack_and_hang_bins/ultra_stack_and_hang_bins.shtml

If you have the tools, you could custom make them from plywood.

traveler44

Thanks John! I found the post by Samtoby from 2010 and he has something like you are thinking. His wire shelves look like they are hung from chains on the sides where he could let them down for access. It gives me more to think about. If I get some ideas and don't rush into this maybe I will find something that will work really great for me. One thing I have noticed is that there is no standard way of using these compartments.

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I mounted rod holders on the "ceiling" of that compartment. It's a great place if you have 2 piece fishing rods. Up out of the way. I suppose one piece rods would work if they fit within the area.

traveler44

I think I will install wall standards on the back wall and use shelf brackets so that the shelf will be adjustable and removable. That way I can remove it to access the landing gear mechanism if need be. A couple of eye hooks above and below it and a couple of bungee cords should make sure the lawn chair bags stay on the shelf. I will still have room under it for the stuff I have now-air compressor jugs of oil and antifreeze etc. I will be able to adjust the shelf low enough to load things on it this way too. I am going to use good crimp connectors on the wiring for the landing gear first so that I won't have to crawl around in the compartment for awhile. Thanks for the ideas. Tom

TedS

My front compartment has a sheetmetal box for the generator prep. Can it be removed to open more space? Or just build shelving into it? Since the truck is so close to the trailer when hitched, the compartment is not very handy to store chocks and blocks for setup. I'd like to use it for after-setup stuff.

traveler44

Hi. Ted. Mine didn't have the generator prep box but it did have the extra battery box in the front that I removed. We don't boondock so the one battery lasts us quite a while. My air compressor is sitting in the spot where the second battery box used to be. I built double drawers next to the UDC in the side compartment and stick my chocks and blocks in them. I built the drawers in heavy enough box that I keep my hoses and cables in open top oil drain pans and stack them up on the top of the drawers. I have found it handiest to still keep my drain hose in a long sterilite container and it fits right beside the drain pans. Just some ideas of what works for me. I can usually hook up at the camp grounds by just opening this one door next to the UDC. Tom

wdk450

My front compartment has a sheetmetal box for the generator prep. Can it be removed to open more space? Or just build shelving into it? Since the truck is so close to the trailer when hitched, the compartment is not very handy to store chocks and blocks for setup. I'd like to use it for after-setup stuff.

I removed the generator prep shroud this summer, but I don't know if it can be used again. I removed all of the base screws on both the shroud and the steel generator base frame. I removed the base frame, used a putty knife to seperate the adhesive on the shroud base from the base of the compartment, then tried to get the shroud out of the access door. I finally had to open the top left and right side sheet metal crimp joints in the shroud to allow me to fold it up for removal. I put the generator base back in the compartment, but may remove it again.

traveler44

I now have a 19"x54" shelf in the front compartment with an extension on the end that goes clear across to the side wall. I installed the wall standards and shelf brackets with eye hooks above that on the back wall. I have my bag chairs and tackle box and minnow bucket on the shelf now. This all fits above my air compressor and shop vac and other items that I have stored on the floor of the compartment. Now I am making use of more than two thirds of the compartment where before there was a lot of wasted upper space. The way this works I have a removable and adjustable shelf with eye hooks to secure things onto it with bungee cords. Tom

traveler44

The first picture shows four bag chairs on the shelf above the air compressor and shop vac. The second shows the tackle box and minnow bucket above the jug of 303 and other items on the extension I added to the end of the shelf. It is easier to add an extension than to try to get a full length shelf through the door. The first picture shows the wall standards and shelf brackets although there is a lot of reflection in the shelf brackets in the picture.

Attachments

• PC200047.JPG
    PC200047.JPG
    674.3 KB · Views: 383
  • PC200053.JPG
    PC200053.JPG
    568.2 KB · Views: 329

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Purdy slick! Just might have to consider something like that in mine for the "attic space" in the garage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have you ever thought of putting those loose smaller things in containers. Sure makes it easier to load and unload. Also keeps them from bouncing around going down the road.

traveler44

Thanks Jim! I managed to get the small cooler in the picture onto the shelf in the corner with the tackle box and minnow bucket- it helps lock things in better. I am still cleaning and arranging the compartments and like you said putting stuff in containers. If I keep going I'm going to have a pretty neat setup. Tom

wdk450

I know that this suggestion is entirely subjective depending on what you have on the shelves, but you MAY want some 1/2 inch or so front and side edge rails - quarter rounds, square or whatever - just in case something wants to jump off the shelf as you open the compartment door.

caissiel

anything that is truck, tools, Kayak and fishing related I keep in my truck boxes and have them in the truck if I go out. The trailer related stuff stays with the trailer. Up front is my stuff and the basement has to be extras we will need that will not store inside the trailer.
After we traded I unloaded what we had stuffed inside the previous trailer and filled 1/2 my basement. It had little flor space but was very efficient for storage, plus we do have room for everyday stuff inside the unit now.

traveler44

I thought about putting a rim along the front of the shelf but decided against it because it would make it harder for me to slide stuff on and off of the shelf. I haven't got it all figured out just yet but it would be nice to have something along the front after it is loaded and I'm thinking that it might possible to engineer something yet.

wdk450

I thought about putting a rim along the front of the shelf but decided against it because it would make it harder for me to slide stuff on and off of the shelf. I haven't got it all figured out just yet but it would be nice to have something along the front after it is loaded and I'm thinking that it might possible to engineer something yet.

I think experience will be the guide on the need for shelf rims. If stuff doesn't fall out, you don't need to bother. It's no big deal if you do have to add them.

fawsty

Thanks for these great ideas. I got tired of just stacking up items on the floor of the front storage area. I don't have a generator, but have the second battery in there.

I had some particle board shelving in the garage that is 16 inches wide. I cut the sheets down to fit in the compartment, with the bottom shelf having 12 inch feet. I put a second shelf above that one, with 16 inch feet, and it sits atop the first. I left enough room to access the second battery without having to remove the shelving, just in case. I left the shelves loose, so that they can be removed if need be, but will use angle brackets to attach the top to the bottom shelf. If I need to remove the shelves, I remove one screw and pull them out.

I put the same items back in after the shelves were installed, and what a difference they make.

Now I have to figure out the large storage area, using the long sterilite tubs and some sort of shelving to store the water hoses and power cords, etc....

Thanks for the motivation

Steven

navyAZ1

I put in a 14" deep X 42" long wire shelf mounted to 2 12X12 "L" brackets (the gray painted type) and placed it over to the right of the compartment leaving enough room for me to slip stuff up onto the shelf. By keeping the shelf off to the right I was able to leave the large hook mounted on the wall on the left (factory power cord hanger) so I could use this for hanging my satillite dish when traveling. Main thing I found out is that this is an area that gets a lot of "bouncing", so only lite items go on the shelf to keep extra stress off the brackets.