fussy dealer

dreamon

Anyone ever heard of dealership that will not except a personal check or cashiers check? I am dealing on a sundance and they demand cash or money wire direct into thier acount. My banks word to honor the check is not good enough. Money must be in there account before I can leave the lot. Dont have a problem but bank is loaning half of the money. Bank wants them as secured party but dealer says since im out of state they will give title to me and I must fill it out and pay state tax in my state. Bank says thats not proper because then they have paid with no gaurantee I put there name on title. Have bought several campers in my life and never once had dealer not ecept my check after bank ok or even before. Good deal but may have to let it go. Just wondering if this has happened to you?

danemayer

This might really be two separate problems.

One is whether you want to do a wire transfer or carry cash before you have physical possession of a working product. I wouldn't do either. If you get there and have ANY problem, they've already got your money and you have zero leverage. If they won't help figure out a way to do business that protects both of you, you should walk away.

The second problem is the titling process. You might want to contact your local tax authority to find out how this works. We bought out of state, and as I recall, the title process back home was based on the bill of sale that the dealer provided. Indiana doesn't have sales tax reciprocity with Texas, so they couldn't collect it in Indiana and file for a Texas title. I had to file when I got home and pay the tax out of pocket. Since the bill of sale showed just our names and no lien holder, that's the way the title was made out.

It may be possible to make the bill of sale out to you and the bank, showing them as the lien holder. If your local tax authority respects that, and the bank understands, maybe that will suffice.

pegmikef

I don't know how it works there, but I have in the past bought vehicles out of state, but financed them here in Texas and the credit union wanted the certificate of origin and they applied for the title and registration. All the dealer gave me was temporary plates and the credit union handled payment (taking my share from my account) by wire transfer to the dealer. I don't remember any hassle. Like Dan, I wouldn't give the dealer anything until you have checked everything out and are ready to leave.

TXTiger

When I bought my Cyclone last year I drove from San Diego CA to Dallas TX to make the purchase. The dealer arranged financing from BofA out of FL. I went to a local branch of my bank in Dallas and got a cashiers check for the down payment. I wanted to take title in NE at my sons address but BofA insisted that since all my credit was in CA I had to take title in CA. The dealer called CA DMV got the sales tax and registration fees, included them in the bill of sale and gave me temporary TX plates good for 60 days. When I got back to CA I had CA DMV inspect the rig to verify the VIN number and they gave me the CA plate to put on the rig. The dealer had already paid CA DMV before I got back to CA. BofA is listed as the lien holder.

Kbvols

I know this wont be popular but the dealer is just trying to protect theirself. My wife works at a bank and she tells me every day about fraudulent checks. Most banks put holds on checks and will not release funds until they clear or the account holder has sufficient funds to cover the amount should it be returned as fraudulent or stop payment put on it. The dealer is providing bill of sale and releasing the RV that is your leverage...if they take in a check and you stop payment before it clears they are out. In my opinion checks are worthless it is the world we live in. The bank my wife works at even puts hold on employee checks that are larger than what is in their account until they clear. I paid for my RV with credit card racked up a ton of bonus points and paid off credit card 28 days later....no interest, bonus points and earned a return for 28 extra days.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Registering a vehicle not bought in your home state can be tricky. A new vehicle can be even worse. We live for the most part in CA....but our vehicles are registered in MT. Only because we own dirt their. Anytime we do this....we have to get the lein holder to sign a MT. form stating that its OK to title it in MT. but still have a CA. address. I wonder if this is the issue. Most dealers will do an out of state delivery. We do it all the time but only after all paper work is signed. Do a search and see if this dealer does this to everyone...or just someone buying from out of state. If its everyone RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

kowAlski631

We live in MD, but bought in VA. We wrote personal checks. As we said before, turn around & walk quickly away. Just our advise to you.

guyc66

Anyone ever heard of dealership that will not except a personal check or cashiers check? I am dealing on a sundance and they demand cash or money wire direct into thier acount. My banks word to honor the check is not good enough. Money must be in there account before I can leave the lot. Dont have a problem but bank is loaning half of the money. Bank wants them as secured party but dealer says since im out of state they will give title to me and I must fill it out and pay state tax in my state. Bank says thats not proper because then they have paid with no gaurantee I put there name on title. Have bought several campers in my life and never once had dealer not ecept my check after bank ok or even before. Good deal but may have to let it go. Just wondering if this has happened to you?

It's possible this dealership has been taken advantage of several times in the past and may be the reason for their current policy. However, with your good credit and phone confirmation of good standing with your bank it seems they wouldn't hesitate to make this sale work for you with a personal check. I also don't see why they won't help out with the out-pf-state title/registration paperwork for you. The dealer I purchased my Grand Canyon from bent over backwards to help me (I only gave them a $250 deposit over the phone to get things rolling......they took my trade-in with just photos I emailed them, then they delivered the new 5er from SC to Ga where I am working and towed back my trade, delivery driver brought purchase papers for me to sign & picked up my personal check for purchase/delivery, and finally they worked with Tag/Title office in TN to register it for me back in my home state. If your dealer isn't giving you one heck of a good deal on this RV then I recommend finding someone else who will make it worth your time & money. Good luck!