gas refrigerator HELP

SeldomSeen

Never even tried the gas (propane) refrigerator before, but wanted to see if it worked for our trip to the coast and some campgrounds without shore power. I did everything the manual says but nothing happens. Should you be able to hear the frig start up or fire up or should you at least see a flame somewhere in the refrigerator outside compartment? I hear nothing and see nothing. I turned the gas on, lit the stove to make sure gas was coming but nothing happens with the refrigerator. I've got it cooled down using electric but just wanted to test the gas part. Any suggestions?

jnbhobe

How many times have you tried to lite it?? It takes a long time to bleed all the air out of the line. Also you may have some cob webs at the burner since you have never used it before.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have it cooled down with the electric, the gas wont turn on till the refer calls for it.
If you haven't, you could try setting it to the coldest setting, highest number.
Oh, and you do have it set for LP operation right.

Peace
Dave

SeldomSeen

Yes Cookie, I have the gas turned on, I know they called me stupid for jumping out of perfectly good airplanes for Uncle Sam, but really?

RAHanock

I found that if I try to light the burners on the stove (one at a time) until I get a flame that that bleeds the air out enough for the fridge to start or light on the first try. You might try this. (Be sure to have the fan on and vent unlocked to let the gases out).

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes Cookie, I have the gas turned on, I know they called me stupid for jumping out of perfectly good airplanes for Uncle Sam, but really?
What I meant was do you have the refer set to run on LP.
You may have a switch for 'Auto' 'LP' and 'Elec' opperarion.

Peace
Dave

Kbvols

Some refrigerators have "check" lights on them. If gas fails to ignite like after 3 attempts the check light will illuminate. You would need to turn off refrigerator then back on for it to try to ignite again...would probably want to try purging air from line as others suggested prior to attempting to reignite...PS Thank You for your service!!! And for having the @&$$@ to jump out of those fine US planes.

wdk450

Is the kitchen slide in? Some people have reported an improperly routed propane flex line kinking and cutting off gas flow with the slide in.

DuaneG

We also had problem with propane on refer because a fuse kept blowing and our units battery had to be full for the ignitor to properly work. I am sure it is some kinda safety thing, but I wish I could run it on propane without the need for any electric power.

Willym

At our Ontario rally we had a member with a fridge that would not work on gas. He hadn't tried it on gas for some time. We took off the burner cover and found some debris - small pieces of construction spray foam, and insect bits fouling the area around the gas jet. We cleaned it out and gas operation then worked fine.

olcoon

I think one way to test it to see if it's working on the propane side is to:
Have the fridge turned on & working on the elec. side.
Press the "Auto" button so it will automatically run on propane or elec.
Unplug/turn off shore power.
If the fridge isn't working on the propane side, the trouble light should light up. If it's working OK none of the lights will change.

At least that's the way I think it should/would work.

wdk450

I think one way to test it to see if it's working on the propane side is to:
Have the fridge turned on & working on the elec. side.
Press the "Auto" button so it will automatically run on propane or elec.
Unplug/turn off shore power.
If the fridge isn't working on the propane side, the trouble light should light up. If it's working OK none of the lights will change.

At least that's the way I think it should/would work.

I guess it would be handy to know the make/model involved since the indicator lights vary some.
I would like to correct the "None of the lights will change" statement. In the set of conditions you described, the lit "Mode" light should switch from "Electric" to "Gas" when in Auto mode operation.

And yes, if the gas flame isn't sensed after the programmed number of re-light tries, the trouble light should light or blink.

sjs731

On our fridge when you push the button to switch from Auto to gas then no lights are on unless something is wrong then the check light will come on. As far as sound I don't know that I've ever heard it light or anything and we use ours on gas mode quite a bit.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Just to add a bit. You MUST have at least 9.5 volts at the fridge for the control board to function. If batteries are low, it may not work. It should work if you are plugged in and your converter is working.
I have never heard mine running, but I leave it in the auto mode and it switches at will. The "check" light will come on if it fails to light. This all pertains to a Dometic. If it's a Norcold, all bets are off. There are a few more issues to check with them.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is the kitchen slide in? Some people have reported an improperly routed propane flex line kinking and cutting off gas flow with the slide in.

Bill,
That happened to us. The gas line would kink when the slide was in. Refer was still functioning, but I'm not sure how, as it was completely pinched off.
We replaced and rerouted the gas line to avoid future problems. Trace

wdk450

On our fridge when you push the button to switch from Auto to gas then no lights are on unless something is wrong then the check light will come on. As far as sound I don't know that I've ever heard it light or anything and we use ours on gas mode quite a bit.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the sound: The way I pack up to leave a site, I leave disconnecting the electrical cable for just about the last thing. That way, the batteries have converter assistance for pulling in the slides, and raising the trailer to get on the truck hitch. When I disconnect the power cord, I am outside on the kitchen slide side of the trailer, and can DEFINITELY hear the gas solenoid click and the gas flame coming from the gas orifice, as the refrig switches over from electric to gas mode in auto operation.