Gas Supports On Storage Door

navyAZ1

Well it took 2 attempts and 4 years (you never want to get in a rush) to get this done, but I think I have it down this time. I attempted to install these gas supports the first time in 2010, it worked great as long as I didn't go out on the road, then we got into trouble. I attempted to mount the brackets on the back of the plastic/foam door and as I said it was fine until we went down the road for a while, due to the movement of the coach and there still being a certain amount of pressure on these supports even in the closed position the plastic/foam door proved not to be a good mounting surface. So, yesterday I got some aluminum diamond plate and attached it to the back of the plastic/foam door to give me a larger and better mounting surface for the support brackets (see photos). I think this will work and hold the brackets in place while going down the road. I've been wanting to do this because it makes it soooo much easier opening this door with one hand when you have other stuff in your other hand and you don't have to fool with the little clip to hold the door open now! Wooooooo Hooooooo! I'll let y'all know how the brackets hold up on the road as we head for the Gillette Rally.

030.jpg029.jpg031.jpg

bighorn3370

This is a great mod. If it works out well, please make a list of parts. As I would like to do the same thing. Ernie

navyAZ1

Ron,

How did you attach the diamond plate to the back of the door?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,

I attached the diamond plate using a total of 24-3/4" self-tapping screws in each plate, and applied "Gorilla Glue" behind it then mounted the brackets on the diamond plate. I also predrilled the holes for the brackets prior to mounting the plate on the door to ensure proper placement of the brackets. By themselves one of these screws will not hold very well in the plastic/foam doors, however with several of them spread out over this large area I feel they should hold really well along with the help of the glue. I have to say this was not my original idea. My friend Micheal who is the Missouri Chapter Director had this similar thing done on one of his storage doors by his dealer and it seemed to work well. Micheal's BH is a 2007 model and as far as I know the mounting is still holding?

For the other inquiry as to materials you need a bunch of screws, I bought the diamond plate at Lowe's they sell it as a 12"x24" piece for $26 just cut it into 2 pieces and round the one corner, and then the glue. The brackets and gas supports I bought from Heartland, I just called and told them I wanted a pair of the 40# gas supports and brackets cost was around $25 each I think. The bracket that mounts inside on the wall is set at 16" to center of the bracket measuring from the top of the door opening. The bracket that mounts on the door is set at 2-1/8" in from the side of the door, and 2-5/8" down from the top edge of the door. When I say "top edge" of door I'm referring to the actual top edge of the door when it is closed, when it's open I guess you could call it the bottom edge as you looking at the door. Refer to my photos to see which bracket is placed where as they are each a little different, with the door bracket mounting pin facing the opposite direction of the wall mounted bracket's mounting pin.

Hope this is clear enough for y'all to use. The dimensions for where to place the brackets I got off of an older Landmark that was at the 2008 Rally in Branson. This to me is such a great mod due to the fact that you can open the door while holding something in your other hand. Just a precaution though, I always hold on to the door as it opens, don't think I would let it just flip up and bounce to its top position this could cause undue stress on the door hinge along with the brackets. I am really happy with this mod.;)

Ron

navyAZ1

The test run has been successful, after over 700 miles on some pretty rough roads the mounting plates have held their place, and there are no signs of any of the mounting method failing. Woooooo Hoooooo!!

Now back on the road tomorrow heading for the Gillette Rally, see y'all there next week.

Ron

navyAZ1

Thought I would let y'all know that we have been on the road now for over 4,000 miles and the gas support mounts have held just fine. So, now I can say that this mod has been fully road tested!!!