Generator Info

BigGuy82

Just bought a 3010RE Bighorn and am having a 5500 Onan genny installed. The dealer said it would be gas and that included, of course, a gas tank. I'd like to hear from those of you who have either a gas or LP genny with your impressions of both. My rig has two 40 lb tanks so I'm thinking that I'd be OK on LP. The advantages of LP are no gas tank and no secondary fuel to watch. Is ther any advatage to gasoline? How long does the LP genny run at 1/2 power with a given amount of propane? Ditto for the gas model.

I haven't taken delivery yet, so I can go either way.

danemayer

Hi BigGuy82,

People have asked about installing Gas or Diesel Onan units in Bighorns before, but the question of where to put the fuel cell has never been resolved, to my knowledge. The fuel consumption specs are slightly better on Gas and Diesel compared to LP. But gasoline introduces maintenance problems you don't have with propane.

If the dealer has thought through installation of a safe gasoline fuel cell, and it's 18 gallons, you'll get a little more run time than from using your 40# tanks. If he installs a 30 gallon tank, you'll get a lot more run time.

Another consideration is fuel refills. With gas, you can always find a gas station and use a 5 gallon container to get more runtime. With propane, you need a nearby propane supplier. Not always available.

If your dealer actually solves the fuel cell problem, try to get some pictures and details on the location and how it's installed, and where he sourced the tank. Others might want to follow.

BigGuy82

Hi BigGuy82,

People have asked about installing Gas or Diesel Onan units in Bighorns before, but the question of where to put the fuel cell has never been resolved, to my knowledge. The fuel consumption specs are slightly better on Gas and Diesel compared to LP. But gasoline introduces maintenance problems you don't have with propane.

If the dealer has thought through installation of a safe gasoline fuel cell, and it's 18 gallons, you'll get a little more run time than from using your 40# tanks. If he installs a 30 gallon tank, you'll get a lot more run time.

Another consideration is fuel refills. With gas, you can always find a gas station and use a 5 gallon container to get more runtime. With propane, you need a nearby propane supplier. Not always available.

If your dealer actually solves the fuel cell problem, try to get some pictures and details on the location and how it's installed, and where he sourced the tank. Others might want to follow.

Dealer tells me that the fuel cell is placed somewhere on the frame, with the bottm membrane needing to be removed and repleced. Don't know where yet. The only downside I see with gas is added weight, although that might not be bad if they fit it behind the axle - will reduce the pin weight a bit. If I can grab pix, I will. Thanks!

rxbristol

I've had both and give me a propane generator any day. No carburetor problems, no stale fuel, less noise, a LOT less smell and, as Dan pointed out, less maintenance. I carry extra propane tanks for those extended times.

avvidclif

I've had both and the propane is cleaner and doesn't go bad. It's not any noisier either way. Little less power on propane but who runs one at full power anyway. BUT, I have a 30 gal gas tank which at half load gives me 60 hrs and a gas station is right around the corner about anywhere. The convenience is a factor. Stabil takes care of bad gas for a while but I pump mine into my old PU every so often so that doesn't matter. A little more maintenance on gas, gotta run it every month. If you're the type that does nothing until you need it go propane. If a regular run schedule doesn't bother you go gas, as long as you can get a decent sized tank.

40 lbs of propane x 2 = 20 gal, if you can get the tanks full and don't use it for fridge while traveling and of course the water heater or heater when camping.

Your call but for me it's gas.

jrdelung

Just bought a 3010RE Bighorn and am having a 5500 Onan genny installed. The dealer said it would be gas and that included, of course, a gas tank. I'd like to hear from those of you who have either a gas or LP genny with your impressions of both. My rig has two 40 lb tanks so I'm thinking that I'd be OK on LP. The advantages of LP are no gas tank and no secondary fuel to watch. Is ther any advatage to gasoline? How long does the LP genny run at 1/2 power with a given amount of propane? Ditto for the gas model.

I haven't taken delivery yet, so I can go either way.
I just bought the exact same trailer last week. I am also shopping genorators. I have an Onan 4000 (gas) on my old/smaller trailer with interior push-button start and it's amazing. I'm now struggling with size and fuel source.

1) Is 5500 large enough to run it all? Should I get the 6500?
2) Which fuel source best? Propane is horribly inefficient (and used for EVERYTHING else on board), diesel most efficient (which is what my truck runs on anyway) and gas is easy to find everywhere.

Thank you in advance.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Dealer tells me that the fuel cell is placed somewhere on the frame, with the bottm membrane needing to be removed and repleced. Don't know where yet. The only downside I see with gas is added weight, although that might not be bad if they fit it behind the axle - will reduce the pin weight a bit. If I can grab pix, I will. Thanks!
I would think twice about an install like this. Where is the tank supported, how is it vented and how is it filled?

Jim.Allison

LP hands down, safe clean, LP. Plumb it into your system, your rig is designed for it. I am surprised that a dealer is suggesting a gasoline generator. Simple question, do you really want to sleep in your rig with 10, 15, 20, gallons of gasoline under your rig? Buy an auto gen start from Onan and your generator will start when power is called for, and you can take your LP further. As far as buying LP, I always carry a small tank so that I can get an exchange at a store if need be. But LP is plentiful, almost all U-Haul dealers carry LP, Tractor Supply carries LP.

I did a DIY install, it was plug and play with the Heartland gen prep package. Norwell dot com has a great internet deal, no tax no freight.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
LP hands down, safe clean, LP. Plumb it into your system, your rig is designed for it. I am surprised that a dealer is suggesting a gasoline generator. Simple question, do you really want to sleep in your rig with 10, 15, 20, gallons of gasoline under your rig? Buy an auto gen start from Onan and your generator will start when power is called for, and you can take your LP further. As far as buying LP, I always carry a small tank so that I can get an exchange at a store if need be. But LP is plentiful, almost all U-Haul dealers carry LP, Tractor Supply carries LP.

I did a DIY install, it was plug and play with the Heartland gen prep package. Norwell dot com has a great internet deal, no tax no freight.

What is the difference when it is on a toy hauler or are you saying those aren't safe??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

On toy haulers, there's an engineer who determines a safe place to locate a fuel cell. He routes fuel to the generator. He determines how the filler tube is safely located. There are probably RVIA certification requirements that have to be met.

When your dealer does this for you, will he do it as safely as it's done by the toy hauler engineer? Will it meet RVIA certification requirements? Since the manufacturer doesn't give him a pattern to follow on non-toy hauler models, he's on his own to design and implement a safe installation. If he does a good job, you'll be ok.

And will the next tech even agree to work on the rig? Will you be able to trade it in?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can't speak for others but I can speak for the ones that I have seen done and of the several I know of have no known problems and one just sold with no issues.

Just playing devils advocate as well as previous poster made a blanket statement that all gas generators onboard fifth wheels were dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

I have used the lp Onan 5500 since 07. It's not noisy. About 1 gallon of lp an hour. In colder weather you can get a tank freeze when the lp level get low but not empty. the best benefit of lp is it won't get stale after sitting. I always have one tank off so I don't run completely empty. My Onan came with 30/20 amp breakers. I have removed the 20 amp breaker an replaced it with a 30 amp.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

About 1 gallon of lp an hour. In colder weather you can get a tank freeze when the lp level get low but not empty. the best benefit of lp is it won't get stale after sitting. I always have one take off so I don't run completely empty. My Onan came with 30/20 amp breakers. I have removed the 20 amp breaker an replaced it with a 30 amp.

Yup, there are 2 models of 5500 LP, i ordered the 30/20 amp also, but it was an easy fix, installing the other 30 amp breaker like you did. I installed a 3rd cylinder in the basement specifically for the generator. If and when it freezes, I just place it in front of the exhaust pipe. However the reason it freezes (in my case in the summer) is that when you only have one cylinder the gas is pulling over a smaller area as opposed to having two cylinders and pulling off twice the area. I have not had tank freeze for a long time, but the exhaust trick will cure it every time. Your post reminds me that I need to plumb in that third cylinder to prevent that tank freeze.

rxbristol

Yup, there are 2 models of 5500 LP, i ordered the 30/20 amp also, but it was an easy fix, installing the other 30 amp breaker like you did. I installed a 3rd cylinder in the basement specifically for the generator. If and when it freezes, I just place it in front of the exhaust pipe. However the reason it freezes (in my case in the summer) is that when you only have one cylinder the gas is pulling over a smaller area as opposed to having two cylinders and pulling off twice the area. I have not had tank freeze for a long time, but the exhaust trick will cure it every time. Your post reminds me that I need to plumb in that third cylinder to prevent that tank freeze.

Jim, I'm concerned for you. How is the 3rd basement cylinder vented? Can it be easily turned off (unlocked door and access)? What about an extra propane leak detector for safety precautions? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing, just concerned.

Rex

carl.swoyer

If you splice into your on board lp line,before the regulator you will not need the 3 Rd tank. I've been doing well with this since 07. I always leave one tank closed. This allows me to swap over to a full tank and I still have plenty of time to get a refill. I personally feel the tank in the belly is ....
.,let's say ticking

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Guess I'll jump in too.
I have had both Gas and LP Onan 5500 Gens. My last rig was the Toy-hauler with a gas 5500, I had it 10 years and about 350 hours on it. It did a great job, but I always had to treat the fuel and run the gen a lot to keep the carb fresh. It was a PITA !!!
Now the new rig has the LP Onan 5500. With this one I now don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. Just fire it up when I need it and don't worry about when I don't. I have 2 40# LP tanks in a Landmark 365 which is mostly electric. I think I have filled 1 tank in the last year. And some of you know how often we use the rig.
I have 9 hours on this LP Gen in a little over 1 year. LOL
looks like we have changed our style of camping with this one.
I see no need for anything bigger then a 5500 unless you want to power the rig next to you too.

- - - Updated - - -