Generator Info

rxbristol

Guess I'll jump in too.
With this one I now don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. Just fire it up when I need it and don't worry about when I don't.
- - - Updated - - -

According to Onan, running an LP generator is still necessary to make sure corrosion does not buildup on the stator. I guess this would be more of a concern in high humidity areas.

BigGuy82

Just bought a 3010RE Bighorn and am having a 5500 Onan genny installed. The dealer said it would be gas and that included, of course, a gas tank. I'd like to hear from those of you who have either a gas or LP genny with your impressions of both. My rig has two 40 lb tanks so I'm thinking that I'd be OK on LP. The advantages of LP are no gas tank and no secondary fuel to watch. Is ther any advatage to gasoline? How long does the LP genny run at 1/2 power with a given amount of propane? Ditto for the gas model.

I haven't taken delivery yet, so I can go either way.

So I've gotten a lot of great info on this post. Final decision goes to LP. Plenty of run time for what I'll use it for. Obviously running other stuff on propane but still plenty of run time and in a pinch I can run off of a spare 20 gal tank. No stale gas or "run it once a month issues". Lighter - no gasoline at 8 lbs/gal. Safer than carrying a fuel cell secured by brackets cobbled together by the dealer. Lower installation cost.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

According to Onan, running an LP generator is still necessary to make sure corrosion does not buildup on the stator. I guess this would be more of a concern in high humidity areas.
I still run it periodically but don't need to treat fuel or worry about it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

The Onan trained mechanic at my dealer said that running the unit was not necessary. That said, I don't have any problem firing it up every three months or so on the theory that it can't hurt. Also, no treating the gas and running monthly.

jrdelung

So I've gotten a lot of great info on this post. Final decision goes to LP. Plenty of run time for what I'll use it for. Obviously running other stuff on propane but still plenty of run time and in a pinch I can run off of a spare 20 gal tank. No stale gas or "run it once a month issues". Lighter - no gasoline at 8 lbs/gal. Safer than carrying a fuel cell secured by brackets cobbled together by the dealer. Lower installation cost.
I completely agree with you. The feedback on my question was phenomenal. I too will be shopping for and Onan 5500 LP for my Bighorn. Thank you all!