Generator question

Hi Folks, I have a 2013 Cylone 4100. I was under the impression that as long as I was on shorepower that the generator battery would stay charged up. Boy was I wrong. I unhooked the shorepower and tried to start the generator and it was dead. I hooked up the shorepower and it started right up. I let it run fir a while and it started fine.
My question, is this right or should the shorepower keep it charged?
Thanks
Kent

branson4020

Icantre Member
Does the cyclone have a dedicated battery for starting the genny? On my rig the regular coach batteries that power the 12V lights and such also start the genny. Do your 12V interior lights work when disconnected from shore power and not running the genny?

Dloebrich

I'm sure that the shore power charges the 12 bolt battery on our cyclone 4000. Do you have a disconnect for the 12 volt?
if so I think it has to be on for the battery to charge

danemayer

Hi HarleyCowboy,

If it didn't crank from battery alone, but did when plugged into shore power, it sounds like you may have a battery problem. There is a 12V mini-circuit breaker between the power converter and battery which is often the cause of the battery not charging, but since power got through when plugged into the pedestal, the breaker must be ok.

whp4262

Hi HarleyCowboy

When you are plugged into shore power it should charge the battery. First make sure your disconnect switch is on if you have one. With the coach plugged into shore power hook a volt meter across the battery terminal and see what you have, it should be something more then 12v indicating that there is charge current from the converter. Then disconnect the shore power and check the battery again to see if you have 12v at the battery. If you have 12v have someone hit the starter for the gen with the volt meter connected across the battery terminals and make sure the voltage at the battery doesn't drop to zero. If it drops to zero you probably have an internal battery problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAbow

I would also check to make sure the connector is attached to the pos side of the battery. Its a separate , smaller connector. I forgot to connect it on mine once and the battery didn't charge.