Generator Transfer Switch Clicking??

5th trip with our 4000, started the generator ran for 5 minutes then the automatic transfer swith started making clicking/studdering sound and then no power. Turned off gen, restarted and did same thing. Turned off all AC's restarted gen, turned on 1 AC, then the second and transfer switch made no noise and power stayed. Any ideas what would cause the swith to make this noise? It seemed to me like the swith was going bad or wasn't getting constant power from the gen? Any help would be appreicated.

jimtoo

You might start by unhooking from shore power and with generator off, remove cover and check connections to make sure they are good and tight and clean. I think a couple of times loose wire connections have been found.

Jim M

danemayer

The transfer switch looks for a minimum voltage of about 105 on L1 in order for it to activate and hold the contactors. If the generator output is on the low side, or the wires are loose as Jim mentioned, the contactors can chatter and drop. The generator output goes to a junction box on the way to the transfer switch. That's another location where poor connections can cause a problem.

It can also be a failing transfer switch.

Last edited:

scottyb

There is a J-box just outside the generator. I found loose wiring inside it after replacing two ATS's. The wires were loose and charred, barely making connection in the wire nuts.

MTPockets

We had this clicking sound caused by low voltage. The clicking is the internal switches clicking rapidly on and off until it sees the correct voltage.. This can damage the switch, which in our case, a few months later stopped working all together due to that previous low voltage. I had to replace the switch. This can be averted with the proper low voltage protection which I had, but my low voltage unit had gone bad and I was without that protection for a couple weeks until I got my Replacement.. It's important to have a good system so your internal electrics have protection.

Thanks for all the responses, after I posted this last night I found a few posts related and went out today and checked the connections in the J Box, one power lead broke off inside the wire nut just checking wire nuts, looks like it was crimped a little trying to strip it and it broke free. Stripped off and installed new wire nut tested and seemed to be fine. Guess I will find out next time I'm out in the mountain. LOL

Biker442

I appear to be having the same problem except worse after all the clicking I'm popping my breaker inside under furnace and also outside on generator. I have a onan factory installed 5500 gas generator with two 30amp breakers.

I have a 2015 Heartland Torque 325 SS. It is only 3 months old. Seems like the problem has progressively gotten worse. First only happening occasionally when running two AC's and now happening with just one AC. I got home this weekend from a trip and decided to try using shoreline electric hook up and still having the same problem.

Anyone else having this problem?

Main AC is ducted 15.0 BTU
Front Master BR non-ducted 13.5 BTU

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Bighorn Laramine Short bed
2015 Heartland Torque SS 325

danemayer

I appear to be having the same problem except worse after all the clicking I'm popping my breaker inside under furnace and also outside on generator. I have a onan factory installed 5500 gas generator with two 30amp breakers.

I have a 2015 Heartland Torque 325 SS. It is only 3 months old. Seems like the problem has progressively gotten worse. First only happening occasionally when running two AC's and now happening with just one AC. I got home this weekend from a trip and decided to try using shoreline electric hook up and still having the same problem.

Anyone else having this problem?

Main AC is ducted 15.0 BTU
Front Master BR non-ducted 13.5 BTU

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Bighorn Laramine Short bed
2015 Heartland Torque SS 325

If voltage is dropping as power goes through the transfer switch, amps go up which could trip your breakers. Take voltage readings at several places around the coach. Hot to ground, hot to neutral, neutral to ground. When on shore power, voltage inside should be the same as you read at the pedestal. When on generator, it should be 120V. Voltage between neutral and ground should be close to zero.

If the symptoms are the same on both shore power and generator, the failure is probably on the output side of the transfer switch; perhaps a loose or damaged neutral wire. Or a damaged contact inside the contactors.

jam20ster

Im having a similar problem and mine is 2 days old. First of all i too found wires in the junction box not properly connected. Then i noticed when on generator power if i switch between a/c's in the inside it will trip the 30 amp breaker on the generator. This doesnt sound right?????

scottyb

Thanks for all the responses, after I posted this last night I found a few posts related and went out today and checked the connections in the J Box, one power lead broke off inside the wire nut just checking wire nuts, looks like it was crimped a little trying to strip it and it broke free. Stripped off and installed new wire nut tested and seemed to be fine. Guess I will find out next time I'm out in the mountain. LOL

That's great news. Maybe you averted a total ATS failure. There have been a few of us that have had this issue. I hope it solves your problem fully. I never had another problem with the generator or ATS after making the repair, so I assumed that was the whole problem. If you didn't already, i would suggest using electrical tape to secure the wire nuts.

That's great news. Maybe you averted a total ATS failure. There have been a few of us that have had this issue. I hope it solves your problem fully. I never had another problem with the generator or ATS after making the repair, so I assumed that was the whole problem. If you didn't already, i would suggest using electrical tape to secure the wire nuts.
10-4 on the electrical tape.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the generator prep without a genny. Our ATS chattered a couple of time and then began an almost contant chattering. Replaced the ATS and it lasted 3 hours. Sent my Progressive Industries EMS in which they rebuilt (it had a problem) and replaced the ATS and EMS when I got it back. Everything is okay now. Seems like the chattering in the ATS can cause damage to the contactors so they won't engage properly. BTW if you don't use the generator then you can just wire the system without it.

hamangum

Im having a similar problem and mine is 2 days old. First of all i too found wires in the junction box not properly connected. Then i noticed when on generator power if i switch between a/c's in the inside it will trip the 30 amp breaker on the generator. This doesnt sound right?????

Yes, we seem to be having same issue and very frustrating! This unit is only 4 months old.