Get rid of those coyotes and other varmints.

porthole

Retired
What beautiful deer....... :) An adult deer can sail right over a 4'4" fence.

Yeah = right into traffic.................

Good grief! It's like an invasion. Where these pigs native here to start with or are they domestic pigs gone feral?

Originally from North Africa, imported to the US for "sporting" purposes.

but people's dogs running loose kill more small livestock..............
but here again, people's dogs kill more than the fox.

Really - got facts to back that up?

DW_Gray

You are correct no natural enemies. Man is the only one that can try to reduce the numbers and we're losing the battle.

Here at Vandenberg AFB, CA, my friend and pig hunting partner has seen right before his eyes a coyote run in and grab a piglet. My squealing injured piglet game caller does a good job at bringing in those coyotes. Until two years ago, the base F&G would not let you kill coyotes.

Just about all of the pigs in CA are feral pigs.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Lots of discussion here about hogs & pigs but I'm curious about Armadillo's. What's a good way to keep them from digging up the ground around my rig? Are they protected anywhere? I have to add, I have not looked into the legalities of it.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Lots of discussion here about hogs & pigs but I'm curious about Armadillo's. What's a good way to keep them from digging up the ground around my rig? Are they protected anywhere? I have to add, I have not looked into the legalities of it.

I don't think they are protected anywhere. Possum on the half-shell.

I've dealt with these critters since I was a kid. They have poor eyesight, but, good hearing. They are fast and when spooked they jump about 6 foot in the air and start running.

The best we have found to get rid of them is 22LR.

dave10a

I guess some people like to kill for what they call sport. I certainly did a lot of sport killing when I was a kid, but I grew out of it and now I get sad when I see animals killed or mistreated for no reason other than to sight in a rifle. I still shoot, but limit it to targets and competition from target to "turkey/ham" shoots. It takes skill and a lot of experience to reload shells to win in competition.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I guess some people like to kill for what they call sport. I certainly did a lot of sport killing when I was a kid, but I grew out of it and now I get sad when I see animals killed or mistreated for no reason other than to sight in a rifle. I still shoot, but limit it to targets and competition from target to "turkey/ham" shoots. It takes skill and a lot of experience to reload shells to win in competition.

Coyote, wild hog, skunks, prairie dogs and to an extent armadillo's.

We got rid of the prairie dogs here years ago. They destroy grazing land and break horse and cattles legs by stepping in the holes they make.

Coyote kill livestock and small game. They spread the mange and rabies.

Skunks, get one of them under your house or spraying your dog, not to mention the rabies.

Wild hogs, destroy crops and grazing land and multiply at alarming rates.

Armadillos are no major threat, but, once you get one of these guys around your house, they root and dig and you can't get rid of them. They also carry Hanson's disease.

So, if you have a better way to control these nuisance varmints, myself and thousands of others would like to know. We are their only predators and something has to keep them in check.

dave10a

So, if you have a better way to control these nuisance varmints, myself and thousands of others would like to know. We are their only predators and something has to keep them in check.

Are you a rancher or farmer? I was a rancher until I went into the service and we had wolves, bears, wolverines and coyotes as a threat and we lost a some live stock and chickens to wild animals. However, we never had as much of a threat as so-called sportman said. I think they exaggerated to keep their killing skills sharpened. Now days many of those animals were over-killed and it has become to illegal to hunt some of them in most areas. BTY I don't consider life as a nuisance.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Are you a rancher or farmer? I was a rancher until I went into the service and we had wolves, bears, wolverines and coyotes as a threat and we lost a some live stock and chickens to wild animals. However, we never had as much of a threat as so-called sportman said. I think they exaggerated to keep their killing skills sharpened. Now days many of those animals were over-killed and it has become to illegal to hunt some of them in most areas. BTY I don't consider life as a nuisance.

Yes, I have retired to the family ranch. And I do not need to hone my killing skills, they work just fine and I do not kill anything for the sake of killing. We can argue this all day long but you have your opinion and I have mine. So in the spirit of keeping the forum friendly, I'm done with the subject.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Because of where our Armadillo problem exists, I'll have to attempt to trap him in some way. It's funny to watch jump up when I scare him though. The little bugger sure likes to dig too.
I no longer hunt for food and never did for sport but I still feel there are enough good reasons to eliminate destructive varmints in one way or another.

porthole

Retired
What traffic. The field fence was on the farmette and not near the road.

You missed my point.

You mean do the people here take gruesome pictures and post them online for the ghouls to see?

No, I mean you said "people's dogs kill" I said do you have facts to back that up.

You must have quite a few unrestrained wild dogs running around your area if you have that kind of problem.

And certainly not a bunch of killer family pets.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by RanCarr //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
but people's dogs running loose kill more small livestock..............
but here again, people's dogs kill more than the fox.

RanCarr

You missed my point.

No, I mean you said "people's dogs kill" I said do you have facts to back that up.

Of course dogs will kill livestock and wildlife. Anyone living in a rural area will tell you that unless they're very remote. Not every dog of course kills. That's why those dogs allowed to run loose are shot and killed here in TN. Where would I find the "facts" for the dog kills my neighbors and myself suffered for years? Who would keep those statistics? The field fence I had protected my goats but I lost chickens constantly as did everyone I knew. Dogs love to chase them and many chicken breeds can no longer fly. ****, two of my own dogs were killers. A large black mutt and a doberman pincher. Both females no less. That's why we couldn't have a cat while they were alive. The small Schnauzer was no killer but both of the girls had to be fenced in at all times.

You must have quite a few unrestrained wild dogs running around your area if you have that kind of problem.

We did, until some of the local men took care of the problem since Animal Control wouldn't or couldn't. They'd come trap a few, the owners would bail them out, and the dogs were back in someone's pasture in a few days. These dogs were shot and killed as soon as they went on someone's property. I haven't seen a loose dog now in a long time. Anyone round here who values their dogs keeps them at home where they belong.

And certainly not a bunch of killer family pets.

All three of our dogs were family pets. That makes no difference. They either have the instinct to kill or they do not.

porthole

Retired
You sure are a hard one to figure out......

You seem to be against sport hunting or keeping varmints, rodents or wild feral dangerous animals in check, but seem OK with the random killing of domesticated dogs.

????

I see you have cats. I have seen plenty of cats kill birds and rodents, domestic cats too. So do you and your neighbors shoot stray cats too?

Granted, you "dog" problem may be different down there in TN, especially since there are a lot of idiots down there who only raise dogs to send out in the woods as bait. But you are painting a picture with a broad brush.