Getting around/through Houston, Texas

cgaskins

We are traveling from Austin, Texas to Georgia this week. What is the best way around/through Houston. My plan is to take Highway 71 from Austin to I-10 then head east towards Houston. When I get to Houston is it best to continue I-10 through the middle or take I610 around the north side? I don't need a white knuckle experience.... <Grin> Any advice appreciated.

-Chris

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Chris, we are from the Houston area and very familiar with the traffic. Depending on the time of day, I-10 is a good way to travel west-east. The 610 loop is very rough and badly in need of repairs. Beltway 8 is generally a good road but it adds more miles and of course, is a toll road. If you have a toll road tag, you can avoid the toll booths and it will reduce your costs a bit. If you can get into Houston between 10A-3p, you shouldn't run into a problem. Of course, an accident will change all that, but it would be the way I'd go.

pegmikef

As one who hates the thought of Houston, TX, I would route myself through Conroe, TX on to Beaumont, and then pick up I-10. All the roads are good and it is actually a mile shorter (I used Albany, GA) as a reference point.

cgaskins

As one who hates the thought of Houston, TX, I would route myself through Conroe, TX on to Beaumont, and then pick up I-10. All the roads are good and it is actually a mile shorter (I used Albany, GA) as a reference point.

Hmmm. Good suggestion. Thanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As a retired Houston Police Officer I share Jay's thoughts. I-10 is alright if you travel at non-peak hours. That would be 10am-3pm (although it does get busier around noon-2). Drive looking way ahead for lane changes and there has also been quite a bit of road construction too. The comment about missing Houston by driving through Conroe is a great idea. You can take Hwy 105 from Conroe to Beaumont and that is a good road once outside the Conroe traffic. Hwy 105 goes into Hwy 69.96, 287 and Beaumont, then take a right to I10. The trouble is getting from I10 to Hwy 105. Really if you drive with your patience intact you can get through Houston without trouble. If you can drive at night the best time to go through Houston is about 3am-4am...seriously. Keep in mind that Houston is a very large city (the nations 4th largest) 4 million population. Drive safe and happy travels.

Wharton

We have found that Sunday morning is a pretty good time, just stay in the middle lane as the right lane tends to disappear as an exit lane.

Avoid the Tollway, it is weird. Some has toll booths but the NE section doesn't and you MUST have a tag. There are other roads in Houston like this and it isn't a matter of their taking your photo and sending a bill, there is also a fine I have read about.

pegmikef

The trouble is getting from I10 to Hwy 105.

Jim, my thought was to take 290 to 105 right out of Austin and not go near I-10 until Beaumont. In fact, I think you showed me this route a couple of years ago when we were at Beaumont. Merry Christmas, Mike.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, my thought was to take 290 to 105 right out of Austin and not go near I-10 until Beaumont. In fact, I think you showed me this route a couple of years ago when we were at Beaumont. Merry Christmas, Mike.

Forgot about that ... that is a good Houston bypass. SH105 is a decent route although when you get close to Conroe the traffic picks up quite a bit. But better than the Houston traffic. If going through Houston, Sunday before 2pm is good.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
The loop around Conroe is not bad though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk