Good satellite solution for us

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We were considering satellite service from Dish Network, using the Tailgater system, when we stopped at the Dish Network Booth at the Texas State Fair. They convinced us to get a standard dish installed on a tripod, and get the Hopper and wireless Joey system. I am amazed at how easy this works!!

The Hopper box is the main unit, hooked up to the satellite connection in the living room. A wireless access point (small box) is plugged into the Hopper, and it transmits signals using its own wireless network to the Joey box (another small box) hooked to any TV, anywhere! You can have many Joeys. The Joeys can let you watch different things than the main Hopper, and it lets you record/playback shows just like the main unit. All boxes work on rf signal, so they don't have to be in sight. All of our boxes are "hidden" behind the TVs.

This would be perfect for coaches with multiple TVs that don't have the wiring for satellite. It worked out great for us since the bedroom TV did not have satellite wiring to it.

I'm not sure if the Hopper/Joey system will work with any of the current portable satellites out there. We did not inquire.

We got the install, and all equipment including the tripod, for $0.00 with a two year contract. The cost for the DVR service with the Hopper is $12 a mo, and each wireless Joey is $7 a mo. + standard programming package charges.

We haven't moved and won't for a while -- so far, so good! -- setting up the satellite when we move may be a pain, we'll just have to wait and see.

0e36fd4526ed2e76fc59aef29cb56104.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cgaskins

Good to know.... Been thinking about the Tailgater system as well. Keep us informed on how well it works. Great deal getting all the hardware for zero dollars.

-Chris

TravelTiger

Install date was Oct 9, and so far we love it! Great HD picture!

There are other benefits like watching "Dish Anywhere" on mobile devices, stop live TV and pick up watching in another room, playback without commercials, etc. that we haven't capitalized on yet.

JanAndBill

When we converted from Direct to Dish at home. We commented to the installer that we would need to get another dish for the trailer. When he finished the install, he walked in and handed me a brand new antenna, and said here Merry Christmas "early". An hour in the shop and some scrap material later, I had a fold up stand for it. Only takes a few mins to set it up and lock in the signal. We pull one of the receivers from the house when we travel. If we're within 2-300 miles of the house, we still get the local stations, over that and we don't, which doesn't matter, because we can use the roof antenna for local.

wdk450

We were considering satellite service from Dish Network, using the Tailgater system, when we stopped at the Dish Network Booth at the Texas State Fair. They convinced us to get a standard dish installed on a tripod, and get the Hopper and wireless Joey system. I am amazed at how easy this works!!

The Hopper box is the main unit, hooked up to the satellite connection in the living room. A wireless access point (small box) is plugged into the Hopper, and it transmits signals using its own wireless network to the Joey box (another small box) hooked to any TV, anywhere! You can have many Joeys. The Joeys can let you watch different things than the main Hopper, and it lets you record/playback shows just like the main unit. All boxes work on rf signal, so they don't have to be in sight. All of our boxes are "hidden" behind the TVs.

This would be perfect for coaches with multiple TVs that don't have the wiring for satellite. It worked out great for us since the bedroom TV did not have satellite wiring to it.

I'm not sure if the Hopper/Joey system will work with any of the current portable satellites out there. We did not inquire.

We got the install, and all equipment including the tripod, for $0.00 with a two year contract. The cost for the DVR service with the Hopper is $12 a mo, and each wireless Joey is $7 a mo. + standard programming package charges.

We haven't moved and won't for a while -- so far, so good! -- setting up the satellite when we move may be a pain, we'll just have to wait and see.

0e36fd4526ed2e76fc59aef29cb56104.jpg

Congrats on your purchase. I would recommend purchasing a GOOD compass (preferably digital), a good satellite signal meter (I use a Triplett analog cost about $30, but there are very good digital ones that go from $100 to $400 - you can find them on E-Bay and Amazon), a cheap level with a vertical setting glass in it, some wooden door alignment shims from a hardware store for leveling the tripod feet, and a plastic 5 gallon paint bucket (and large bungee) you can fill with water (or rocks) to weigh down the tripod/dish from the wind. 3 of the long metal tent stakes and a hammer are handy to have in extreme wind.
I have my dish modified with a threaded rod assembly for elevation adjustments. See: http://tv4rv.com/conversion.pdf
Here is a series of 3 You Tube videos on ssetting up a Dish Network antenna: (Use the You Tube search for parts 2 and 3) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz0u0Mij0Dc

Last of all, I keep the correct sized end wrench attached to my Dish antenna to tighten down the skew nuts when I am setting it up. I also found a small toolbox at one of the dollar stores that I keep all of my satellite setup stuff in.

Good Luck!!!

TravelTiger

Great, Bill! Thanks!! This is Tony (MrTravelTiger)'s baby, so I'll make sure he reviews this.