Gray Tank Dump Valve Issue

racingzr

2012 Elk Ridge 29BHCK.....gray tank #1 dump valve is not closing or functioning at all. As soon as we open the cap for the drains gray water comes gushing out. I'm not sure if there is an issue with the 2nd tank or not as we haven't filled the first one yet.
So now that we are all set up on our seasonal lot and moved in for the summer this xx. Heartland says they'll cover a flat rate for labor and parts but not the $69 per hour for the service call (2 hours travel for the nearest dealer).xxxxxx. Could be my last Heartland at this rate.

I haven't looked at it too close yet. Any common problems out there, maybe I can figure it out? It's like the valve isn't even installed but the handle is. Is there some linkage that could be disconnected?

Last edited by a moderator:

bighorn3370

Hi, racingzr. Sorry you are having problems. There could be something stuck in the valve that's keeping it from sealing. It would probably be the cut outs for the pipes. As far as Heartland covering a field call, field calls are not covered under warranty; I have never seen any manufacturer cover that. I work in the construction industry, and none of the manufacturers cover that. They only cover shop labor. Hope this helps you. Ernie.

Gizzy

After reading a few treads about valves not opening/closing, etc, makes me feel better about having a gate valve installed at the connector. I'm sure there will be a day that it saves us from a mess.

danemayer

I'm not sure if there is an issue with the 2nd tank or not as we haven't filled the first one yet.
Racingzr,

I think on the Elkridge, like the other full profile 5'ers, the Gray #1 tank is for the bathroom sink and shower. The Gray #2 is for the kitchen. I'm not sure what you mean by "haven't filled the first one yet."

Silly question: are all the pull handles in the UDC all the way in?

And yes, the pull handle cable could be disconnected at the valve. You might be able to judge this by alternately pulling the Gray 1 and Gray 2 handles to see if they feel about the same.

GOTTOYS

After reading a few treads about valves not opening/closing, etc, makes me feel better about having a gate valve installed at the connector. I'm sure there will be a day that it saves us from a mess.
One of the best things you can buy! This should be standard equipment just to use as a backup...Don

racingzr

Thanks for the replies. It's not a big deal, just frustrated. I am sure you are right about rv manufacturers, mus t be that some dealers have done field calls for no additional charge. Other campers have mentioned it.

Back to the issue, thanks for explaining the tank set up. That makes sense. We don't use the shower anyways and can use the other sink until it is fixed. What is this gate valve I am hearing about? Mounts onto the end of the dump pipe? Sounds like good insurance anyway and might get us by until I can get it to the dealer. Any more information? I'm still going to look at it and see what I can do.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
While you are sitting in one location for an extended lenght of time, do you leave the Gray Tank valve open all the time?

If so your problem is that debris has settled into the valve grove not allowing it to close completely.

As stated above you could also have the handle seperate from the cable or the cable seperate from the valve stem.

If you don't use one of these in both kitchen drains, you should think about buying one for each drain.
DSC_1940M.jpg

BC

racingzr

Thanks, I assume you are talking about the twist on valve. Must mount right to the pipe? Looks like that might be the easiest and cheapest quick fix for now.

racingzr

We do let the tanks fill up before dumping. This thing is brand new, dumped it for the 2nd time today. Thought maybe the first time that the valve may have stuck or something so I worked it back and forth. Then as soon as I undid the cap again today with all valves still closed I was met by a gush of gray water. Tank #2 had some in it and let go when I pulled the valve and its definitely gray water only so it must be the bathroom tank.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, get the gate valve by all means. If you dont have one yet...get a clear elbow to put on the gate valve end of the drain hose. I blue glued my gate valve on....the 1st was hit by road debris and came off. That was $25 wasted.

Boca_Shuffles

Do you close the dump valve after dumping? If you dump your tanks and leave your valve(s) open while you travel, gray water that was left in the tank could splash out and fill the drain pipe. Just because no water comes out at the end of the dumping, doesn't mean that the tanks are completely drained. There are low spots that retain some water.

A back flush unit (clear plastic elbow with a hose input port) and a bladex valve (valterra) will allow you to push water up your drain pipe and hopefully clear our any restrictions that are keeping the valve from closing properly.

Put the clear elbow on first, then the valve and then the normal 3" drain hose.
Make sure that the other two dump vales are closed and that the valve in question is open.
Close the Valterra valve.
Attach a hose to the clear elbow and turn on the water hose.
You can watch the drain fill.
When the water stops going up the drain, turn off the water and open the valterra valve.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVERFLOW YOUR TANKS UP INTO THE RV. I AM TALKING ABOUT A MINUTE OR TWO TO BACK FLUSH. IF YOU LET IT COMPLETELY FILL THE TANK, YOU WILL HAVE A MESS.
Watch the water run out of the tank. Repeat this process several times if you see debris and construction material coming out.

If this temporarily solves your problem, but the problem returns after several normal dump periods, you may have the cutout from the initial installation still in the tank and causing problems. The dealer may have to take the drain apart to remove the obstruction.

You can back-flush each of your tanks using this method.

DO NOT GET DISTRACTED WHILE DOING THE BACK FLUSH (i.e. going off and talking to a neighbor for 15 minutes)

Hope this solves your problem.

You can remove the back flush unit and install the closed valterra gate valve under your dump drain cap. Then you can slowly open the valve to see if the problem was solved the next time you remove the cap.

racingzr

Well I ordered the valve. I'll get the back flush unit at some point and try that. We did have some gray water in the tanks when I transported it from my buddys camp to our seasonal camp but it couldn't have been much more than a few gallons from brushing teeth and washing hands in the bathroom sink for 3 nights. At least with the new valve I'll be able to dump everything without making a mess. The dealer can deal with it beyond that in October. I appreciate the help and suggestions.

blueoval

We are having the same problem with our gray water valves. We just purchased our unit on May 24th, 2012 and the first time we dumped water came pouring out. I though it was becasue during the PDI we pulled the valves gate handles and some water was in the main drain. Well this past weekend went to dump and the same thing happened cannot figure which one is leaking (gray #1 or 2).

I am not sure if #1 is for the bathroom and # 2 is for the inside and outside kitchen sinks but I think both are leaking.

Tumblebug

I had problems with the tank valve. Would drain slow and hard to close, then leaked. Took the valve apart and found construction junk in the valve seat. Plywood, electric wire cover, everthing execpt the lunch bag. Would venture a guess that may be your problem also. The tanks were back flushed with out the valve. The valves are easy to take apart, just messy.

danemayer

When there's a lot of water in my gray tanks, there's a fast flow of water, filling the clear adapter and sewer hose. It slows down as the tank empties, and may take a few minutes to completely empty. Same with either gray tank.