Have to purify my fresh water system How???? Scared of bleach

BooBear

Found my tanks are bowed because of collapsed frame supports. Black junk in water since you can't drain them completely. What's the best way to purify the whole thing?

wdk450

Here is a reference on sanitizing your fresh water system. http://rvbasics.com/techtips/sanitizing-your-rv-fresh-water-system.html

As far as being afraid of bleach, the final step is to flush your system with fresh (chlorinated) water to get the bleach level down to an acceptable level. The filtering and chlorinating (bleaching) of fresh water supplies in the modern world has been the greatest public health advance in the history of civilization. Which are you more afraid of, typhoid and cholera or a small level of chlorine in your water?

There are some bleach alternatives to be found through Camping world and Amazon, but you need strong stuff to kill the strong germs.

Last edited:

sengli

Put like a 10% bleach solution in the tanks, and then pump it thru out the entire system... and leave it set for several days at least. We do this every year when we get the rig out of its winter hibernation.

Miltp920

We were seasonal campers at place that had terrible mineral water. I had to bleach my system several times. it works. My daughter bought a house that was had been stagnent for months. the inspector said the well had to be bleached before she could move in. The well company used concentrated bleach. I think the key is just doing a thorough flush after you bleach the system.

buddyboy

Bleach will kill the mold, mildew, and any other nasties in your tank. We used it on our boat monthly or if we noticed a "skanky" smell when using the fresh water tank. We let it sit (3 or 4 hours) and then ran at least a full tank of fresh through it after we dumped the super chlorinated one. It's the best thing to use, IMHO.
Martha

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Reading online, it's recommended to use Sodium Dichlor, rather than household bleach. It's used in pools and hot tubs. One tablespoon will treat 100 gallons and you don't need to flush as much as with bleach. Available at pool supply stores. One pound runs $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buddyboy

Reading online, it's recommended to use Sodium Dichlor, rather than household bleach. It's used in pools and hot tubs. One tablespoon will treat 100 gallons and you don't need to flush as much as with bleach. Available at pool supply stores. One pound runs $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used that - we didn't feel it worked as well as bleach. Guess it's personal opinion and experience with both.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We use bleach because we don't use the fresh tank for drinking. A cup or two in 100 gallons won't hurt anybody. Most if not all holding tank straps are not tight to the bottom of the tanks. The straps are that way for the expansion of the tanks when full. My 2cts worth.

BooBear

We use bleach because we don't use the fresh tank for drinking. A cup or two in 100 gallons won't hurt anybody. Most if not all holding tank straps are not tight to the bottom of the tanks. The straps are that way for the expansion of the tanks when full. My 2cts worth.

Thanks for your thoughts. Heartland built these with 1/2" flake board laying on two steel angle braces with a steel strip connecting to keep the angle steel from spreading. That way the bottoms of the tanks are flat and above the drain configuration. Simply using a stronger brace would solve the problem. Not an engineering marvel, but literally a couple dollars more for the bean counters to use as profit (and we have to live with consequences) . Keep in mind this is an enclosed undercarriage for insulation. Access is a b___! Thank God all this happened in my parking area instead of the road.