Have you modified your desk for a "sewing" partner?

Diamondjim

In our "entertainment" slide, (Greystone 32RL) there is a nice desk facing the door side.

My wife is an active sewer, QUESTION- have any of you modified this desk with its own slide out, to create a larger work area for a sewing machine? We will be spending 4 months this summer as snowbirds, away from Florida heat, and I'm looking for ideas how some of you have solved this problem. I have some ideas, but am not above stealing a better idea that has worked for others.

Thinking of adding a slide to the underside of the desk, projecting into the living area, but easy to use, sliding a chair under the extension, thus working and facing the rear of our rig.

I've gathered lots of great ideas here, don't let me down :) know you won't. (one of my hobbies is building furniture, have the tools, need ideas)

Thanks for your input.

rxbristol

I would suggest removing a couch or your dinette and putting a long portable folding table. We removed our couch and put in a counter height table. Maybe a custom built table would work?

VKTalley

In our "entertainment" slide, (Greystone 32RL) there is a nice desk facing the door side.

My wife is an active sewer, QUESTION- have any of you modified this desk with its own slide out, to create a larger work area for a sewing machine? We will be spending 4 months this summer as snowbirds, away from Florida heat, and I'm looking for ideas how some of you have solved this problem. I have some ideas, but am not above stealing a better idea that has worked for others.

Thinking of adding a slide to the underside of the desk, projecting into the living area, but easy to use, sliding a chair under the extension, thus working and facing the rear of our rig.

I've gathered lots of great ideas here, don't let me down :) know you won't. (one of my hobbies is building furniture, have the tools, need ideas)

Thanks for your input.

I use a folding table that I place in front of the couch with the "desk" area to my right. I would be interesting in seeing what you make for her! What does your wife like to sew?

Diamondjim

=What does your wife like to sew?=

Today...is into quilting. Belongs to a quilting club in our gated community home in FL, but not your "typical" quilts. Very unusual designs, as she is an artist.
She makes quilted totes, purses, you name it. Is constantly creating. Uses antique buttons to make jewelry, closures for her totes etc.

She has sewn for 50+ years. She's making new curtains for the bedroom windows in our "new" Greystone at the moment.

VKTalley

Today...is into quilting. Belongs to a quilting club in our gated community home in FL, but not your "typical" quilts. Very unusual designs, as she is an artist.
She makes quilted totes, purses, you name it. Is constantly creating. Uses antique buttons to make jewelry, closures for her totes etc.

She has sewn for 50+ years. She's making new curtains for the bedroom windows in our "new" Greystone at the moment.

Awesome! I sew doll clothes (18"dolls), rag (muslin) dolls, clothes for my granddaughters, and I have made purses too. Most of my projects are on the smaller side from quilting. Like her, I will be redoing the curtains and cornice boards in our bedroom soon. My other creative outlet is crocheting.