Headed to Elkhart tomorrow

Nbomar

I'm headed to Elkhart tomorrow from NW Arkansas. Looking at going up 55 out of St Louis to 80 just south of Chicago and over to Elkhart. Anything I should look out for on this route or is there another route I should look at. Plan on getting a level up system installed Monday and trying to drive back to around Springfield Illinois or so Monday night. Any advice would be appreciated. I've been to St Louis but never farther than that.

Thanks,
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kbvols

I would look at I- 70 over to Indy then 31 north out of Indy. Chicago traffic can be brutal. Indy traffic is not nearly as bad as Chicago. 31 is a 4 lane highway and many parts are new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nbomar

I considered that route. Gps shows it as half an hour longer. I figured being Sunday afternoon, Chicago might not be bad... what do you think? I've never been to Chicago.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Going through Chicago on Sunday afternoon might only be second to 5:00 rush hour.
There is no good time to pass through that city.
I would go the route suggested by Keith. If you are stuck in traffic that half hour longer won't make a difference.

Peace
Dave

rxbristol

Has anyone taken a more scenic route such as exiting I-70 to Hwy 231, then Hwy 24 to finally Hwy 31, or something similar, to avoid Indianapolis? Or is the I-465 loop fairly easy?

AAdams

When we went from St. Louis to GR, MI we went through Indianapolis IN. I've been through Chicago, and I will not got there again. Also going through Chicago you will be hitting toll roads as you go east from there which will slow you down as you stop and pay.

Nbomar

Well I missed my turn while on a call with my wife so I guess I'm going through the disaster known as Chicago. I will definitely go the other way tomorrow evening when headed back. I told her I blame her for this. Haha.

Nbomar

Does anyone know if I can just walk up and do a factory tour tomorrow or if I have to get a reservation or something?

danemayer

Does anyone know if I can just walk up and do a factory tour tomorrow or if I have to get a reservation or something?

I think there has to be someone available to conduct the tour. So you'll want to call ahead.

danemayer

Who do I call for a heartland tour?

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for the Sales team for the type of product in which you're interested - i.e. Toy Haulers, Luxury 5th wheels, bumper pull travel trailers, mid-profile 5th wheel, etc.

Nbomar

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for the Sales team for the type of product in which you're interested - i.e. Toy Haulers, Luxury 5th wheels, bumper pull travel trailers, mid-profile 5th wheel, etc.

Thanks!

Nbomar

These roads up here are insane. I can't believe I haven't broken the axles and neck of this trailer off. I can't believe people can drive these roads and not ruin their vehicles.

MCTalley

Has anyone taken a more scenic route such as exiting I-70 to Hwy 231, then Hwy 24 to finally Hwy 31, or something similar, to avoid Indianapolis? Or is the I-465 loop fairly easy?

I-465 is relatively easy.

Also, when we come through there on the way to Goshen, we typically head towards the northeast side and take I-69 to Fort Wayne, then US 33 to Goshen.

Last edited:

rono

Yea we just got back from there a week ago and I 80 around Chicago was brutal. The seams in the road, as well as the bridge transitions about rocked us out of our truck. For the tour call heartland early cause Monday's are the days they generally do tours. Very interesting. We toured heartland, Augusta RV, keystone and granddesign.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VKTalley

Rex, the 465 loop around Indy is not bad. We use to live in Indy years ago and have been through there recently.

Nbomar

Well, I can't do a tour until 3pm and LCI is scheduled to be done then so I'm not sure I will stick around for the tour. Anyone think of anything else to do while I'm here? I called Mor-ryde and they don't have a showroom, I'm done with my work for the day so now just sitting at McDonald's killing time.

jbeletti

Well, I can't do a tour until 3pm and LCI is scheduled to be done then so I'm not sure I will stick around for the tour. Anyone think of anything else to do while I'm here? I called Mor-ryde and they don't have a showroom, I'm done with my work for the day so now just sitting at McDonald's killing time.

Consider stopping by the Corp office at 2831 Dexter Drive to see if anyone can pop you over to a plant for a quick tour as you're not available at 3 pm. They just might.