Smooth Route Indianapolis to Elkhart

GWRam

We are heading back to Elkhart to pick up our Gateway 3650BH from the service center. On our way up to drop off the unit we went around the East side of Indianapolis on I495 then north on 31 to south bend and then Elkhart. 31 was rough, real rough. This last summer on the way to the owners rally we went from Indianapolis up I69 then over to Goshen on 33. Not a bad ride. Adds 55 minutes to the ride . Anyone know a smooth route from Indianapolis to Elkhart? Thanks

jbeletti

There are back roads but I'm unsure of their condition.

I have an idea though. Put all your troubles behind you and come to the Indiana rally over here in Shipshewana as soon as you pick your coach up!

Rally starts today - so it's not too late. There will be about 25 rigs here. The fun began yesterday with a pre-rally meal.

Hot dogs and chili tonight!

VKTalley

We are heading back to Elkhart to pick up our Gateway 3650BH from the service center. On our way up to drop off the unit we went around the East side of Indianapolis on I495 then north on 31 to south bend and then Elkhart. 31 was rough, real rough. This last summer on the way to the owners rally we went from Indianapolis up I69 then over to Goshen on 33. Not a bad ride. Adds 55 minutes to the ride . Anyone know a smooth route from Indianapolis to Elkhart? Thanks

With all the construction on US 31 north from Indy, I-69 is probably your best route northward.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We'll be coming up I-69 out of Fort Wayne tonight. Is the road bad, worse than it was before? I thought they repaved it a few years ago?

sjs731

Last time I went through Indiana I had a slide motor fall off. Had to stop in KY and have it fixed. Rough is an understatement.

Steve

jbeletti

We'll be coming up I-69 out of Fort Wayne tonight. Is the road bad, worse than it was before? I thought they repaved it a few years ago?

Mark - I didn't take any notes, but I recall "bad". To be fair, I'm sure some of it was smooth.

GWRam

31 is rough enough it ripped our residential fridge out of the wall bracket. In the distance from Indy to Elkhart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWRam

Jim thanks for the invite.
Hotdogs and chili sounds great.
Unfortunately we are still 7 hours out..

BLHFUN

Now I know why my microwave plate setter was in 2000 peices after the transport guy brought it home. Should have checked the inside before I signed the release!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I never go through Indianapolis if I can avoid it. I would rather go the Chicago route. That is if you are coming from the western side of Indiana. I have taken US 41 from Clinton In and it was decent. Wore out a map one time trying to miss the mess around Indianapolis.

brianlajoie

I came down I65 1.5 years ago with my brand new trailer. The interstate was horrible. I could't dodge the pot holes because they ran sideways across the road. Don't know if you plan to go that way, but I'd look for side roads before I get on that highway again.

GWRam

I will say that 33 6 and 19 were fantastic compared to 31. And better than I65.

GWRam

Jim,
Don't know if you'll see this. Would it be all right if Cathy and I stop by the rally for a cup of coffee in the morning before we head south?
Dave

Last edited:

jbeletti

Jim,
Don't know if you'll see this. Would it be all right if Cathy and I stop by the rally for a cup of coffee in the morning before we head south?
Dave

Oh please do. We are having a big breakfast at 9 am in the rally hall at Shipshewana South Campground. By all means, please join us for this meal as our guests.