Heartland Acquires Fleetwood Towable Brands

brunsje

Our first camper was a Coleman. It was a wonderful little camper. I couldn't believe when Coleman sold it to FW. I just hope that Heartland did buy that camper too. It is a towable and I do believe it would be a valuable asset for Heartland! JMHO

wyleyrabbit

Chris,

You have been critical of Heartland and I appreciate the credit you do give us. How businesses make decisions is their business and the finished goods quality vs features vs cost vs customer acceptance will be the yardstick which it will be measured by. Build junk and it will not sell long! Bad business model in my mind. I don't think you'll see us adopt that.

No patents, other assets or liabilities were included with this purchase. Just the active trademarked towables names. I'll post a complete list of those when I am able to do so.

Jim

Jim,

I agree I've been critical on a couple of issues, but my attempt is and always has been to be constructive with the criticism. I really feel strongly about my love of our Bighorn, and the wonderful times I and my young family have in it. Occasionally, I see something that could or should have been done better, and would love to have had the opportunity to not have had the problem we ran into. A few of these would not add significant cost to Heartland but would add significant value to the owner of the unit in years to come.

I still believe that we absolutely bought the best trailer, all things considered, compared to anything else out there...no question. I often ask myself, "If I had it to do all over again, and was buying today, would I still buy our Bighorn 3055RL?" and my answer is always an emphatic "Absolutely! No question."

We've now had our Bighorn for almost a year, and plan to still have it a dozen more (I hope). I realize there are always some problems with new complex things, whether a truck, RV, or a house. My position is that there are always going to be problems, and the focus should always be on how the problems are resolved. So far, I have nothing but great experiences with not only Heartland, but also our dealer in dealing with any issues that have come up.

I think it's easy to get exceptionally passionate about something that we love so much. Cars, trucks, trailers...and so it goes. To me, our RV is much more than a "thing", instead it's what the RV represents: Family time together, away from the distractions of the city and home. I'm sure many will agree, our mental and emotional "batteries" get recharged far faster in a long weekend in our trailers than in a week in the hustle and bustle of flying somewhere, renting cars, staying in hotels, eating in restaurants, and so on.

Thanks again go to Jim and everyone else involved in hosting this great community where so much great information is exchanged and friendships are made. This very forum was a large reason why we purchased our Bighorn! I don't know if Heartland has any data on how many additional sales they have as a result of this forum, but I'd bet it's significant!

Chris

Last edited:

kkamshop

The most recent issue of RV View has a spread touting the Coleman line as a Camping World exclusive, so CW must have purchased that part of Fleetwood.

wyleyrabbit

Jim,

This is an exciting time for Heartland and the other companies that purchased these very well-known brand names. I, for one, am very interested to see what Heartland and others will do with these brands. Inject some new thinking, innovation, and some serious quality and these brands will likely regain their glory at their given price points.

Chris

caissiel

My first unit was a Fleetwood and at the time it was the best in the industry. They just got behind in times and like GM they were to big to take care of all their good customers.
I have a feeling that Fleetwood is still well known with all the old 70's and 80's trailers still showing up at the rallies and Blue grass weekends.
I never had one bit of problems with this old unit and so does others that owned Fleetwood compared to other products.

sgtbigb

My take on the issue is this, as a company you must take advantages of opportunities as they come. I think back to Sears and how it got suppass by WalMart. A company must continue to grow or die a slow death. At the same time to grow too fast can be just as bad!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Jim,

This very forum was a large reason why we purchased our Bighorn! I don't know if Heartland has any data on how many additional sales they have as a result of this forum, but I'd bet it's significant!

Chris

Well, I'm one! Our new Big Country arrives on Tuesday! Granted, the forum was not the only determining factor but it certainly did help persuade us to buy Heartland.

I hope it works out :D

arisce

Coleman?

I believe Coleman went to Dutchman. Jim

I think that Coleman is back in the hands of the original owners: the Coleman family. Just like Harley-Davidson was sold in the eighties and bought back several years later. I may be wrong.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
From what I understand Heartland has bought the Fleetwood name and the name of all their rigs only. I don't think they will be making any of the Fleetwood products, just wanted to use the neat names Fleetwood came up with such as Prowler, Pioneer and Wilderness.

Elder1

Cool, so we may see New Aplenlite's on the road again?

I realy hope this works out for you folks at HL as we love our 5er.

RollingHome

Jim Billetti, Fleetwood Products suck period. I like Heartland but.... either you guys at HL raise Fleetwoood to your standards or FW sinks you... period :) I've owed enough FW junk to know they suck ! I bought a HL 3670 RL because they were an independernt Co. to give them a chance :)
So, pass it along either HL raises FW to your "good" standards quickly, or FW takes you down with them. Wow, I'm really concerned, I hope you guys raise FW standards. I sincerely hope FW doesn't sink the whole company !

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
They only bought the brand names....Heartland will be building their own product, not reproducing Fleetwood clones...

RollingHome

Thanks Ken, I hope you realize, after spending 60+ grand, I do not want to see Fleetwood sink the whole thing ! This really cause's me concern !

jbeletti

More news on the Fleetwood Towables Brands

Elkhart Truth Article
Published: 3/30/2010 12:00:00 AM
Last Updated: 3/30/2010 12:03:20 AM
By: Josh Weinhold
Update (10:30 a.m.): Heartland will spend more than $2.6 million to purchase and equip the former Damon Corp. facility, according to a release issued today by the Indiana Economic Development Corp.
The company will receive $885,000 in performance-based tax credits from the IEDC.
ELKHART -- A local recreational vehicle maker that bought the trademarks of a bankrupt competitor last month will create more than 250 jobs here.
Heartland RV, which purchased the brand names of several Fleetwood Enterprises travel trailer lines, received a five-year tax phase-in Monday at a special call meeting of the Elkhart City Council.
The company plans to acquire a former Damon Corp. facility on Elkhart's north side and produce the brands there. The expansion will create 265 full-time jobs at an average wage of more than $22 an hour, not including benefits, according to city documents.
While the new product lines will be sold primarily on the West Coast, company officials said it made sense to keep manufacturing operations here. With Heartland headquarters in Elkhart, officials said it they wanted to keep the plant closer to management, rather than out west.
"We're very committed to Elkhart County. We have tremendous suppliers, a tremendous labor force," said Dennis Donat, Heartland's chief financial officer. "It's our best opportunity for success right now."
The phase-in will offer Heartland a combined $37,200 in real and personal property tax savings, with the company paying about $23,000 in taxes over that same period. The jobs created are expected to generate $182,000 in local income taxes annually.
<!-- More Coverage Section --> <!-- end of more coverage --> <!-- 2nd part of story --> Heartland is also hoping to receive job creation incentives from the state, but those were contingent on the company obtaining local financial support. If the company did not get city or state incentives, it would have opened the new plant in a western state, city documents state.
Though the agreement indicates the phase-in will retain the 1,050 full-time staff Heartland already employs here, Donat doesn't believe the area was at risk of losing those positions, tax incentives or not.
"I don't think all the jobs would have moved," he said. "But the West Coast provides tremendous business opportunities. You have to go where your customers are."
Heartland, which makes travel trailers and fifth wheels, bought the Fleetwood trademarks in early February for $306,000. It plans to have about $681,000 in property improvements to the 2929 Gateway Dr. facility completed by June, with hiring potentially beginning later this year.
Donat said Heartland could perhaps start production by the end of the year, and hopes to have models ready to display at the Louisville, Ky., National RV Trade Show in December.
Responding to council member questions about growth potential, Donat said Heartland has remained a successful company despite a recent downturn in the industry. While other companies saw 30 percent losses last year, he said, Heartland remained level -- a sign it's on the right track.
"We did a lot of things correctly," he said. "That's where we think our growth is going to be, continuing to do things well."