Heartland is curious. What do you think about this?

What do you think of this design feature?

• We like it.

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • We don't care for it at all.

Votes: 108 81.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeletti

Some of you may have seen this already. Excel by Peterson Industries has introduced a 5th wheel RV with the entrance door in center of the door side slide out vs. the more traditional entrance door forward of the door side slide.

Heartland is curious if any of our product owners or potential product owners feel this feature is something we should consider.

See images and links below, then vote in the poll on this thread. Discuss via Post Reply in this thread as well.

LINK to article on RVBusiness.com

Reprint of that article:

Peterson Unveils Slideout Entry Door on Excel
Posted By Bob Ashley On May 31, 2013 @ 4:30 pm In Breaking News,News In Focus
Excel fifth-wheel equipped with slideout entry door

With a great deal of fanfare, Peterson Industries Inc., Smith Center, Kan., has introduced an entry door within a slideout in its high-end Excel Winslow fifth-wheel line - an innovation made possible by a set of locking exterior steps that fold up against the door.
The new door configuration debuted during a 15-minute live video Friday afternoon on the company's website hosted by Peterson President Bryan Tillett, who termed the innovation an "industry-first" and "a game-changer."
The coach made its debut at RV Sales, Moriarty, N.M., where the live Internet feed originated. To view the video click here.
"This really creates an open look - very, very open," Tillett said during the video.
"This will change the floorplans that we have available in the very near future," said Jill Conaway of Peterson's human relations department, noting that the new door will be incorporated into other Excel floorplans.
The step-system was designed by Lippert Components Inc. representative Mike Nebel who lives in Smith Center and who owns the rights to the system, according to Conaway. Peterson does not have an exclusive on the slideout steps, she added.
The slideout entry door divides the dining area and the living room in the Excel Winslow 37SDF bath-and-a-half floorplan that retails for $93,750. The steps lock against the slideout when in the travel mode and also lock down in the setup mode so they can't inadvertently raise up and lock people inside.
A second slideout entry-door floorplan in Peterson's top-of-the line Excel Limited fifth-wheel will be available in the fall.

Link to announcement on Peterson Industries website

And a few more images:
d37_sdf_exterior-stairs.jpg d37_sdf_exterior.jpg kitchen-pano-bottom2.jpg
D37SDF-floorplan.jpg

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

If you are going to put it in the slide out area, why not put it on the side of the slide out. I am talking about the where the smaller window is at on the slide out in the picture above? Some campgrounds have narrow lots and if you have slide outs on both sides of this trailer, there may be an issue with the unit being too wide for some campsites. This would be especially true at NASCAR races where the squash you in pretty tight.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
At first glance I have to say I don't like it at all. Maybe seeing the floor plan would show the benefit but having stairs hanging off the side going down the road (or do you stow them???) is not for me.

Theresau

I was skeptical at first until I looked at the pics and layout - they looked very nice. I liked what space it allowed - 1/2 bath at entry which then allowed for a very nice sized bath in the very front.

I guess steps are stored in a different manner and they are adjustable depending on the layout of the site - that sounded great as well.

Its wasting space on the inside, because of a entrance on a wall that in a normal slide would be a seating area or living area that is taking advantage of the intent of the slide. Which is more space,,, how much space do you really need in the entryway of the trailer. I'd rather have that wide space reserved so something more fitting.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Steps look nice and shiny when new. But after a year or so, the paint fades and does not look good. I don't think I want that hanging off the side of my glossy gel coat. My opinion.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
At first glance I do not care for it. Thinking about the new stresses put on the slideout mechanism I wonder if this is good idea at all. Time will tell

wino2

Not sure, everything looks good on paper or in a picture. Would have to see it in person. Really like the Hickory Cabnets..

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am not too sure about it either. Btw...not sure I can vote via tap a talk but will log in and vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This wouldn't work well at all in tight spots or where trees are present. How many of us have been in sights that aren't level where the slides are? Wouldn't work well in many parks with pads either. And list goes on...

Pizzaguy

I just voted that I do not like it, but as others have said and I have seen for myself the Hickory cabinets are awesome! I wish Heartland would offer something as nice.

Eddhuy

I am thinking about some of the camp sites I've been to. May not work in a lot of places, this would limit where you can go but probably a large 5er anyway. I would think this would also add weight overall, there certainly must be some reinforcement in there to handle the extra leverage; of 48 inches or probably more overall. The weight being put on there is dynamic as well. For the right person this may be nice.

dalspot

That was my first thought too, but after looking at the floor plan, I think I like the idea - but NOT those steps folded up on the door .... I do like the fact that the table is not constricted by the sofa or chairs being next to it... actually, get rid of that half bath and put the dining table there!

37SDF.gif

At first glance I do not care for it. Thinking about the new stresses put on the slideout mechanism I wonder if this is good idea at all. Time will tell

Last edited:

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
I love the idea of having the entrance in the middle of the overhead awning. On most of our rigs, the door is at the end of the awning where you get wet getting in and out of the camper. That said, I really do not like the looks of the steps and agree with most of the other comments about what it's going to look like after a year. As much as I like the idea of the center door under the awning, but I would not be interested enough to seriously consider buying one. Just too ugly looking for my tastes.

Vtxkid

The heck with the door access... what about that Rhino roof top coating! Every RV should have that instead of the rubber membrain! No maintenence and warrenteed for life... that would definitly be something I would want...

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I like it with a little hesitance. As said in a prior post, Having a dirty road dirt covered step hanging from the side of the coach isn't too appealing. But then again, neither is a dirty coach. It will get cleaned up as soon as practical. It was hard to tell from the video how much room there was at the dining table with the chairs pulled out for normal seating. Would you have to push a chair in to be out of the way if someone dropped by in the middle of a meal?
With the slides over the basement, access to it is really hampered. Not liking that at all. I like the front bath!!!! With a king bed, not much room on the side either. It is an interesting concept and depending on the floor plan, could be very handy.
LOVED the Rhino roof!!!

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
The heck with the door access... what about that Rhino roof top coating! Every RV should have that instead of the rubber membrain! No maintenence and warrenteed for life... that would definitly be something I would want...

Agree!! Rhino roof coating is a MUST (being one that has damaged the rubber roof scraping a tree limb). Also REALLY LIKE the water manifold. So many water issues would be non-events IF you had the ability to shut-off the offending problem. I know for the manufacturer it is all about costs, however me, from a buyer standpoint, I would trade some of the "poofy" decorative items for these essentials (in my humble opinion).
As for the entry door in the slide, I really do like the floor-plan. I DO NOT however like the appearance of the steps when stowed for travel. Maybe the steps could be vynal coated to match the rig color, and also eliminate the ugly faded look and rusty hardware after a few years of age. Also this type of configuration may limit campground sites as many sites do not have the necessary width.

Status
Not open for further replies.