Heartland legendary service, not so legendary.

azbound

I agree with the others sounds like a dealer problem. If they had nothing to hide why not show you the communications between them and HL. Contact HL yourself explain the problems with the trailer and the dealer.

creeper

Hi Creeper,
Please have all your info about unit, ser num, dealer, purchase date and call customer service. 574-262-8030 / 877-262-8032.
Jim M

Thanks, I have called and awaiting a call back.

The dealer said they emailed, faxed and got the response back from heartland that the "repairs" are done and they don't know who Jim Fenner is or know about his stated repairs.

They are now waiting to see If I can get anything done. You think for things that should be easy repairs it wouldn't be so hard.

Last edited:

creeper

The final verdict

As many know from my previous thread that I had problems getting my bighorn fixed for really minor repairs. It was undetermined at the time if the problem with the dealer or Heartland. As the dealer said they would do what they had to as long as Heartland gave the ok for repairs.

After the first attempt they made claims that the repairs where made as Heartland recommended, which was contrary to what Jim Fenner stated here what the proper repairs were.

The also stated they would not repair my Jenson TV for the mysterious turn on.

I spoke to Tim at Heartland and he echoed the repair techniques stated by Jim Fenner. He also told me what repair have been authorized. Which were repair of Lamiplast on slides as well as slide adjustment. Tim laughed when I told him the dealers repairs and statements like they called and no one knew who Jim Fenner was. Tim laughed and said, "He's my boss". He then made a call to the dealer.

When I returned to pick up my RV this is when the dealer revealed that they were the problem. They were caught in several lies.

1. They now admitted that they did not know about the lamiplast repair and merely painted the bottoms as part of their normal repair. They further stated they ordered a dozen extra repair kits for future repairs.

2. They now suddenly fixed the TV. THANKS TIM.

3. They said they were eating the cost of adjusting the slides. Tim advised me they had already authorized the adjustment.

4. They said they fixed my waste gates for leaks. Today as I was removing the bottom, because of leaking waste gates, I found that the screws had never been removed to access the bottom.

We took the Bighorn on the first trip since it was "repaired". Got to campground, hook up water, go to hook up my electric and that's when I went through the roof. The dealer had replaced my charge converter (got it right after 2 attempts) and TOOK my 50amp cord....... I'm still steamed....

Today I drove the 70 miles to the dealer and CALMLY explained that the repair person obviously hooked up the electric using my cord to test the charge controller repair and forgot to put it back. After some whispering in the back they come back to me and say, "that's the way it came in, no cord"... Which of course is total BS and I told them I never really use the 50amp as most campground have 30amp. The guy then says , " the forman remembers he had to use one of our cords to hook up your camper because there was no cord. Which is TOTAL BS , because if they needed a cord my 30 amp cord hangs right next to the 50 amp.

Then of course on my first repair attempt they tried to give me my camper back with the storage area all dismantled and tried to tell me , that's the way it came in. Seems to be a repeating theme with this dealer.

Heartland should drop them ASAP. They wouldn't even order me a Bighorn when I asked for one.

So for anyone interested Heartland stepped up and Boat N RV Warehouse in Ridgeland , S.C. should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited:

rwoodall

Marshfield, Mo
This whole thread is very discouraging for a new buyer of a Big Horn. I’m picking mine up next week and leaving for Texas for the winter. I sure hope I don’t have these kind of problems right out of the box…mercy!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
rwoodall
If you read the previous post you will note that it was not Heartland, but the dealer.
If you have a problem when you arrive in Texas call Heartland and they will direct you to the place to get repairs done. If your not sure try Camping World in Katy TX.

Most of the problems you will read about here is not with Heartland but with the dealers and I think this thread by Creeper verify's that.

rwoodall

Marshfield, Mo
Thanks Bob, I did read all the thread and could see it was a dealer issue and not Heartland. It was just the fact that “creeper” had all those issues on a new rig. I am pleased to see the Heartland network getting larger and know I can find help in Texas, if needed.

cliffbuilt

I Agree with TXBobcat, from this thread & others on this forum that I've read, there are some very sorry dealerships out there. I have only good words & thanks to Heartland & my local dealer in handling all of my warranty work this past year.

Cliff

creeper

This whole thread is very discouraging for a new buyer of a Big Horn. I’m picking mine up next week and leaving for Texas for the winter. I sure hope I don’t have these kind of problems right out of the box…mercy!

I did not consider these things a big deal and should have been taken care of very easily, in fact these are relatively minor things or what I consider shake down items.

The dealer blaming Heartland was uncalled for and only after talking to Heartland and catching the dealer in lies did it become clear it was a dealer problem.

I give people the benefit of the doubt until the prove different, which this dealer did.

Delaine and Lindy

Creeper, I understand your situation, thats why I try not to go back to the dealerships. Dealerships says its the manufactor and manufactor doesn't say much about the dealership. I had two Keystone 5th wheels, and had very minor problems. With the Cambridge 358 I went to Goshen to the service center (Camp Keystone) which has 50 amp hook ups and stayed there during the repairs. The last time was just before the warranty ran out. The service center went thru the entire 5th wheel and fixed everything we ask and also things we didn't know about. I don't know what the problem is but it must be money. I do know I try to stay away from the Dealerships. I had the same problem with Kontry Mile Kamper in Decatur, Ala. I was lied to and know for a fact what I was told was untrue. Thats the, reason, one of them we know longer have the Landmark. Nothing is worse than a liar. The industry as a whole has problems with some dealerships, I think I know the answer but the manufactors want go for it. I believe the RV repair guys you find around RV parks are the best to deal with. I have used Camping World for several installs, W/D, A/C's etc. Keystone has the right idea, but they are far and few who would do this. I do think that Heartland has a place in Elkhart that does a lot of work for them.

Creeper I'm sorry to hear about the problem with the tank, that shouldn't happen. However I have seen tanks fall onto the roadway. I would make sure it has more re-enforcement under the tank. Good Luck. GBY..

RWoodall
We ordered a 2009 Big Horn 3600RL and received it October 14. We went for a two week breakin also before leaving for Texas. We had several small items to be repaired. You might check your kitchen and bathroom drains. Our hot water heater bypass, when set for winterizing, let antifreeze run out of the hot water heater. Our DVD player was not connected, either the factory or the dealer had broken the RC cable connector in the plug. It is now at the dealer waiting to be repaired. We hope to pick it up next week as we are leaving the 22nd. See that you live in MO, we are located on the lake, 20 miles from Lincoln, MO. Where in Texas are you going to be? We will be in Pharr.

Gary & Sandi & Spoiled Shi Tzsu, Toby
2007 Ford Short Bed 4X4
2009 Big Horn 3600RL

bill40

Creeper,
It appears that Boat N Rv has the same problems, we bought our BC from the Hamburg PA store and the lies just kept coming. I rufuse to take it back if I would need work. Sad part is the other dealers do not want to do warranty work if the unit was not bought their even when you have delt with them in the past. I deal with a local guy now and pay my way. At least I get treated correctly.I just read in Motorhome that Boat N RV was rated one of the top dealers, guess they never had to deal with them.

Tom of Ypsi

Gary & Sandi,

While down in the Valley you can go to Ron Hoover Rv in Donna which is east of where you are. They are a new Heartland dealer and we have been pleased with them. We took our Landmark in last March for some minor work, not warranty, and we were very pleased. Hopefully you will not need them. There are a bunch of mobile rv services down here to, some better than others, and you will need to get Heartland approval before doing business with them. Good luck and safe travels.

truknutt

Committed Member
Creeper,
It appears that Boat N Rv has the same problems, we bought our BC from the Hamburg PA store and the lies just kept coming. I rufuse to take it back if I would need work. Sad part is the other dealers do not want to do warranty work if the unit was not bought their even when you have delt with them in the past. I deal with a local guy now and pay my way. At least I get treated correctly.I just read in Motorhome that Boat N RV was rated one of the top dealers, guess they never had to deal with them.

Bill,

I had the same sour taste after taking the Cyclone back to Boat N RV for its final warranty button-up. All I can say is "I'm done with them." Reichert's, in Hanover, will work on your BC...just not your warranty work!

Dave

bill40

Dave,
Heartland got me the OK to take it to Reicharts. They where not happy but did a great job fixing everything that was not fixed at boat n rv. I always dealt there when we had the MH and was supprised they where selling HL 5ers when we got back from our extended trip. I would have bought it their had I known.We just happened on this unit on the way back and made one of those hasty decisions. Not sorry on the unit but only the dealer.
Bill

jbeletti

Hi all,

I checked on this today and was informed that Boat N RV is no longer a Heartland dealer.

If anyone is is the area is needing to find service and cannot, please contact Customer Service at 877-262-8032 for assistance.

Jim

bill40

Thanks for the information Jim. Tim was very helpful when I explained our problem. Bill

creeper

Hi all,

I checked on this today and was informed that Boat N RV is no longer a Heartland dealer.

If anyone is is the area is needing to find service and cannot, please contact Customer Service at 877-262-8032 for assistance.

Jim

That's a good thing, they weren't helping sales. Salesman pushing people to other units.

It seems Camping World is now carrying some Bighorns. We stopped in and browsed some of the other models. Next thing we know a eager salesman is trying to push us on another more expensive brand. Seems to be a theme for some reason, margins possibly? The Wife still loves the 3670 and I refuse to buy a bigger truck. :)

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
That's a good thing, they weren't helping sales. Salesman pushing people to other units.

It seems Camping World is now carrying some Bighorns. We stopped in and browsed some of the other models. Next thing we know a eager salesman is trying to push us on another more expensive brand. Seems to be a theme for some reason, margins possibly? The Wife still loves the 3670 and I refuse to buy a bigger truck. :)

I've used camping workd all over the country. And, find most of their service to be more than satisfactory.

creeper

I wish camping world would have gotten the bighorns sooner. I would have bought there and avoided the whole Boat and RV mess...

No Landmarks yet at Camping world, I hope they stick with the Heartland's.

Happy Campers

Gary & Sandi,

While down in the Valley you can go to Ron Hoover Rv in Donna which is east of where you are. They are a new Heartland dealer and we have been pleased with them.

I called them yesterday about a furnace problem and was told i had to pay them $125.00 for the service tech to come out as the factory wouldn't pay for a service charge.He also told me they will check the board in the furnace if i brought it in to them but that will cost $25.00 because the factory wouldn't pay for that either.