Heartland legendary service, not so legendary.

creeper

Had my Camper in for a few issues and was expecting them to be taken care of pretty simply.

1. Lamiplast material chipping off bottom of slides and damaging carpet. Dealer stated Heartland told them to sand and PAINT IT. Which is exactly what they did. The did not adjust the slides, which was causing carpet rub.

2. Jensen TV turning on by itself. The Fix is, no fix.. I have to fix it.. They won't touch it as Jensen said the could brick the TV, then they won't warranty it and I have to remove it and find a repair shop.

3. Bubbles in rubber roof. Not small bubbles, but very large bubbles and lots of them. No fix, normal. I then walked the dealer around the show room and pointed out the other makers rubber roofs with no bubbles.

4. Warm fridge. My ice maker will make one large brick.. No problem found.:confused:

So for the most part, the camper came back in the same condition it left in.

I'm not a happy camper

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Sorry to hear your dealer blows.

As for the Jensen TV, I actually did the flash myself as per the instructions on HOOT. ASA was very helpful and also included a prepeaid UPS sticker for the return shipping.

In my opinion, the roof should not be as you described and again your dealer blows, the refer may need the icemaker re-installed as to let the freezer door close completely or you may just have a poor circulation behind the refer especially if you refer is in a slideout, again crappy dealer service makes for a frustrating time.

Please try calling Heartland direct and talk with J. Fenner and I am sure he will direct you to a better qualified service dealer.

Good luck,
Mark

creeper

sounds more like a dealer problem?

I went round and round with the dealer. They said they sent the pictures into Heartland and Heartland told them how to fix and what the would get paid for.

The dealer was ready to pull the slides and do the repair, they balked when Heartland told them what they would get paid for.

Why would the dealer not want to fix the roof/Slides/carpet?

cjbearden

Visitor
Your dealer sounds like one we had in 2006 and found out what "they said about talking to HL, taking pictures" was not the case. Follow up yourself, call HL tomorrow, talk to your representative and have them check with their warranty department to see if any claims have actually been requested.

Since we purchased our Augusta in June, in addition to the selling dealer, we have been to three other service departments (because we refuse to sit and wait in any one area - we are traveling regardless of problems!!!). All service shops have had no problems getting approval for repairs under warranty from HL! Ours included refrigerator (14 CF elite which we are still working on); two slides needed adjusting; TV had to be flashed with latest software; dryer door (waiting on part from Splendide); basement door (re-ordered due to UPS damaging first one); external steps replaced(re-ordered because supplier sent wrong set). Sometimes the right parts get sent and sometimes the wrong ones. Bottom line - find a decent dealer and your work will get done.

Get to know your area HL rep and he will do everything he can to find a good dealer's shop for you. The last two shops we used, the rep even called ahead to the dealership to let them know we needed an appointment and then called us back with contact information once we arrived at the shops.

Best wishes for getting the problems resolved.

cjbearden

Visitor
Sasha J

Called customer service 574-262-8030, told the operator the State I am in and she directed me to the rep for my State at the time. Also, going to rallies is an excellent way to get to meet some of the reps. If they are in the area, they usually show up for the good eats! ;)

While we were in Fountain, CO at Camping World in May this year, we met Ray Robinson and discussed with him problems we were having on a BH we had at the time. Later decided to upgrade, gave Ray a call and he recommended a dealer in Longmont, CO that had an Augusta and we drove up to see it - our signature now says it all! After we got to Texas, called Ray again for recommendation in the Rockport area and he hooked us up. While in LA visiting our son and family, Steve from HL, did a fantastic job hooking us up with a great service center in Bossier City - most personable, knowledgeable and easy to work with folks ever. Their techs are also sent to school when needed to learn how to service various parts of RVs as well as the equipment supplied to the RV.

The BIG Rally in Goshen is most beneficial to helping meet many of the HL names you see in the various posts. Never hurts to introduce yourself and have a chat. Be surprised at what might get done for you.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I agree. There is nothing like knowing who your rep is...and being able to put a face to the name.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Just so you know that HL Warranty tries to work with you, called Garry one of the warranty service guys. Gave him a list of problems arising from our 32 day shakedown cruise to 10 states. The following are the kind of problems we had:
fantastic fans (both) inop on remote; align cabinet doors over micro(check all doors in coach for alignment);D/S slide facia loose; pass thru door fell off-scratches on door so must replace; gray and black tanks reading full when empty; crack in wood behind fire extinguisher mount-repair; low a/c flow to bedroom; lower window in dinette area hard to operate and not level; dinette table extension not level; flange around pin cushion missing; lower coach covering billows under bedroom especially when driving; porch light inop; exterior storage catch missing; shower head wont stay up; scratches in cabinet doors-check all; ceiling fan makes noise while operating; closet door wont stay shut; front recliner won't retract easily; passenger slide needs adjusting; adjust all shades, many broken; screen door won't catch easily; passenger side of toilet area, see light from storage area; soap dish in shower broken; surround sound one speaker not working; tears in compartment door seals; bends in compartment door seals; bends in compartment door inner frames. screen door frame not in place; kitchen faucet leaks; grey tank #1 pull cable rusty, hard to pull; one of the drop leg feet are bent; front cap seal damaged from hitting truck rails; trailer too close to hitch-adjust pin box. WHEW! I probabably left out a few things but other than the damage to the truck rails and the underbelly where it scraped, Heartland is allowing a local repair shop fix everything under warranty. They are blaming and holding accountable the dealer (Clovis RV) for the pin box adjustment and truck rail damage as they should have mounted them properly, when i picked up the rig. The question is what will Clovis offer to do as they are a 7 hour drive away or will they just blow me off. Will keep everyone informed. Garry at Heartland OK's the job in 2 days from submission. I am so far impressed.

Last edited:

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
Creeper--I am making some comments next to your issues below.

1. Lamiplast material chipping off bottom of slides and damaging carpet. Dealer stated Heartland told them to sand and PAINT IT. Which is exactly what they did. The did not adjust the slides, which was causing carpet rub.

We actually have a caulk that we can send the dealer that is the same color and material as the coating on the underside of the slide floor. they spread it on and let it sit for 24 hours to prevent future peeling. then adjust the room to prevent it from dragging again.

2. Jensen TV turning on by itself. The Fix is, no fix.. I have to fix it.. They won't touch it as Jensen said the could brick the TV, then they won't warranty it and I have to remove it and find a repair shop.

If they contact ASA, ASA will send them a repair box. the dealer then hooks this box up and it will repair the television.

3. Bubbles in rubber roof. Not small bubbles, but very large bubbles and lots of them. No fix, normal. I then walked the dealer around the show room and pointed out the other makers rubber roofs with no bubbles.

Bubbles are something that can and generally will happen over time. You have movement in the roof while in transit plus the gasses in the wood that are releasing. Bubbles generally do not impede the perfromance of the roof.

4. Warm fridge. My ice maker will make one large brick.. No problem found.

I dont have the answer to the blocking of the ice. I do know that if you are constantly checking the temperature it can cause this from constantly opening the door. My suggestion would be to contact Dometic or a local dealer and have them run some tests on the system. Most dealers and service centers are Dometic certified.

cjbearden

Visitor
Jim Fenner

Thanks for jumping in and appreciate your comments. We still have a problem with our new Dometic 14CF Elite and our certified Dometic dealer is having trouble getting electrical schematics from Dometic. Our Product no. is not even listed in Dometics' website or service center website for dealers!

Camper Clinic of Rockport, TX is supposed to be calling HL and still trying to get information from Dometic. Anything you can do would be appreciated.

We have had the cooling unit and limit switch replaced. Then Ice maker quit working and door seals failed. Replaced ice maker and seals. Ice maker still not working and temperature probe placement may not be in correct position. Digital read-out in upper right corner does not match reading of temperature gauge placed inside the main refrigerator compartment. Totally unacceptable to have main fridge at 40 degrees or above. Freezer is freezing like a champ! We want total refrigerator replacement if Dometic won't come across with schematics needed to attempt once again to make repairs.

Camper Clinic is serious about trying to fix the problem because they are seeing more and more of the 14 CF with ice maker and need to have all the information necessary to train their service techs. I know there are other HL owners with same problem and some have also had their refrigerators replaced but problems still exist. What's the solution?
Thanks, Jim.

Last edited:

creeper

Thanks Jim,

I just got back from the dealer and wanted some actual proof of the communication between the dealer and Heartland. I wanted to make sure who said what.

This is what the informed me. That the warranty approval is done via email and the would not give me a copy of the email as they stated it is confidential. I find it hard to believe that Heartland doesn't have a number for dealers to call.

They also said the called ASA or Heartland he wasn't' clear on who and said there is no box, but a series of remote control buttons to be pushed. They would walk them through the procedure, but if the brick the TV the dealer would have to pay for a new one and stated it was $1600 for a crummy jensen TV.

Our freezer stays closed most of the time as when were are traveling we are out of the camper all day. They said they tested it Freezer 25 degrees, fridge 35 degress on highest setting.

This is why I asked for copies of the communication. Either the dealer is lying or there is a misinformed warranty person at Heartland. I wanted to know the exact person at Heartland that said spray it with glossy black paint, which of course did nothing for the chipped material behind the seals. I pulled back the seal and said , "what about this"...

FYI my vin is 5SFGF34209E012267 if you can shed some light on what the communication really is I would appreciate it. The Dealer is Boat N RV Megastore in Ridgeland , SC... Sadly this is my closest dealer, 1 1/2 hours plus.

They also said there was no reply on the damage to the carpeting caused by the slide and that I would have to pay for the slides to be adjusted or bring it back to the selling dealer, who is 5 hours away because Boat N RV, although a Heartland dealer, refused to sell order me a Bighorn.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
They also said there was no reply on the damage to the carpeting caused by the slide and that I would have to pay for the slides to be adjusted or bring it back to the selling dealer, who is 5 hours away because Boat N RV, although a Heartland dealer, refused to sell order me a Bighorn.

That says it all right there. It's another classic case of the dealer not wanting to do warranty work on the unit because you didn't buy it from them!!!!

You have a dealer problem not a Heartland problem. I have seen with my own 2 eyes at the factory how far out of the way Heartland will go to help a customer and solve a problem and it even involved using their personal truck as a testing platform.

Delaine and Lindy

creeper, You have a lousy dealer. We owned a 2009 Heartland Landmark, and had the same issue with the Jensen Tv. We returned it to the dealer and the fix was instant. However the Dealership, (Owner) wouldn't return our calls or e-mails. We didn't like the enclosed bath room, but the living area and kitchen was awesome. However the Dealership (Kontry Mile Kampers) is the biggest reason we no longer own the Landmark. I would go directly to Heartland, the results will be better IMHO. Good Luck. GBY....

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Creeper--I am making some comments next to your issues below.

We actually have a caulk that we can send the dealer that is the same color and material as the coating on the underside of the slide floor. they spread it on and let it sit for 24 hours to prevent future peeling. then adjust the room to prevent it from dragging again.

Jim,
Can the customer get this caulk from you or find out where to get it? We just had our slides adjusted and some teflon coated slide protectors put on, but it would be nice to replace the coating that chipped off the bottoms of the slides. We are out of warranty and the dealer is 1 1/2 hours away, so we would prefer to do it ourselves.

Thanks,
Kristy

creeper

That says it all right there. It's another classic case of the dealer not wanting to do warranty work on the unit because you didn't buy it from them!!!!

You have a dealer problem not a Heartland problem. I have seen with my own 2 eyes at the factory how far out of the way Heartland will go to help a customer and solve a problem and it even involved using their personal truck as a testing platform.

I'm holding decision on whether it's a dealer problem or Heartland probem until I see something one way or the other. I'm going to ask to see the email from Heartland , saying to use glossy black paint and no slide adjustments.

So far, they have not refused to work on the unit and took me in within 2 days.

They state they are only doing what Heartland told them to do and what Heartland will pay for.

They also said they are willing to do what it takes as long as they are paid for it and get authorization to do the repairs.

creeper

Round two: Camper is back at dealer, email not answered by Heartland. Hope I can get my camper repaired.

Anyone have a good contact number at Heartland?

jimtoo

Hi Creeper,
Please have all your info about unit, ser num, dealer, purchase date and call customer service. 574-262-8030 / 877-262-8032.
Jim M