Help! - Front jacks quit working.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: Help!

SJH, You have to tell us what happened!
I watched this post last night like it was the Survivor finale show. I could not post, because I could not be of any help at all to you. But, I was rooting for you to get it fixed. Could not help but picture your truck out in the road with traffic backed and all your neighbors standing around watching you.
I hope you got it fixed. We need details.
Isn't it great that you could get on this forum and get instant advice?
Nita

Hello Nita...thanks for the enocuragement!

Well, I just dewinterized our brand new BC which was delivered in February. Poor weather and an arm surgery has forced us to sit and look at it in the driveway for the past couple of months!

Yesterday I had the neighbor kids lift the hitch into my truck and thought I would hitch up to check out and make sure everything was set up correctly. Spring Break is next week…nice time for a shakedown cruise! As I was lowering the BC on to the hitch, the landing gear stopped…only an inch or so from lifting off the ground. I looked and the legs were up against the welded stops…OK, I was going to lower them and adjust the hitch or whatever to allow it to function properly. Oh, oh…hitch won’t go down either. Now my truck is halfway hitched (or unhitched depending on how you look at it) and also halfway in the road!

To the computer I went! After about 30 minutes of looking for fuses/breakers, I had to use the hand crank to lower the landing gear so I could unhitch and move the truck. Although neighbors found it amusing, they also didn’t like detouring around our development to get to their homes.
So, our brand new rig is still sitting in the driveway but now the landing gear doesn’t work. People on the forum are doing their best to help this “mechanically challenged” owner but so far, no cigar. I would feel better if I cold just find a fuse or breaker. I think the breakers are those little silver boxes (red rubber covers) by the battery. Seems to be about six of them or so all connected with a copper/brass looking bar on the right side posts. None of the breakers are labeled so it all looks foreign to me!

It’s 7:30 am here so nothing is open yet. I guess I will try the test light suggestion although I may need an electricians help.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Rrloren

As noted by several people there must be an inline fuse. I have a Sundance and had the same problem caused by running the jacks up to their limit. It takes only a fraction of a second to blow the fuse. My fuse is behind the battery box encased in a black holder and it took 2 calls to my dealer for them to direct me to it. It's gotta be there.
When you fix it be sure to mark the leg of a jack just below the stopping point so you don't bottom it out again.
One more thing , when setting up be sure to allow enough room when you pull the pins so your landing pads are a couple inches above the ground so you have room to adjust your jacks without bottoming.
Hope you find your fuse.

SJH

Have you called Heartland Customer Service for assistance? 7:30 in WA is what, 10:30 am in Indiana :)

I just talked with a very nice person by the name of Gary...he told me that if it is not the breaker (there is one with a manual reset) there is also an in-line fuse located in the wiring harness a short distance from the breaker wrapped up inside the snake skin covering. Hopefully it will be a simple task!

I will go out and check bewtween rain storms here in the great "Northwet"

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Like Rrloren stated, "It's gotta be there." I just installed a new motor on my off door side landing gear. It has an inline fuse. Both of my motors have a 30 amp fuse in the pink wire.
Trace that pink wire to the breaker. "Seek and yee shall find."

Peace
Dave

after all the posts on this problem you would think the factory would have this listed in the manual and the salesperson doing the walk through would point out the location of the fuse. Also explain to buyer that if you raise the legs all the way up you will blow the fuse. cost me a 300$ lession.

Dragoon

My fuse/holder was located near the raise/lower switch. This is on the other side away from the motor, so you might want to look in that direction...

SJH

Thanks to all for your posts and rvn4fun for the PM's.

I finally took the battery box cover off and there was the fuse holder staring at me! Haven't got it apart yet as I just got my arm cast off (bicep separtion) and can't open the darn holder (wife will help) I am sure this is the issue though!

Thanks again and I will let everyone know if there is a more serious issue than the fuse!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
SJH, when you have found the fuse. Take the fuse to a parts house and get a circuit breaker. Install that instead of a fuse. It will reset if you overload the circuit again in about 30 seconds. You might even get a higher amp circuit breaker. Say you have a 30 amp fuse...get a 40amp circuit breaker. It will plug into the fuse holder. Bob

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about calling Heartland Customer Service and getting information from them. I betcha they can help.

Iver

Just finished reading this post from the beginning. Felt like an RVers version of 24! The part about the arm in a cast was the best. Could not make this stuff up.

SJH

Just finished reading this post from the beginning. Felt like an RVers version of 24! The part about the arm in a cast was the best. Could not make this stuff up.

Hey...that was a muscle surgery and an 8 week cast! I'm to old for that...went crazy pacing all night, ever night! Anyway...glad you enjoyed the saga!

One last question for everyone...the fuse that was fried was a 30 amp green in color. Wife brought home a pack of Buss 30 amp Yellow marked ATC. Will they work OK?

2010augusta

Hey...that was a muscle surgery and an 8 week cast! I'm to old for that...went crazy pacing all night, ever night! Anyway...glad you enjoyed the saga!

One last question for everyone...the fuse that was fried was a 30 amp green in color. Wife brought home a pack of Buss 30 amp Yellow marked ATC. Will they work OK?

Yellow is 20 amp by standard. 30 should be green, blue is 15 and red is 10 amp

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One last question for everyone...the fuse that was fried was a 30 amp green in color. Wife brought home a pack of Buss 30 amp Yellow marked ATC. Will they work OK?[/QUOTE]

The ATC is the larger version of the ATM that is used. If you burned out the ATM fuse, the ATC will not fit.

Peace
Dave

RollingHome

SJH, any 30 amp glass fuse will work if it fits - but - just to get you off the street and stop Peeing off your neighbors... Take your glasses off or get your grand children to read the fuse's... Huh On the end of the fuses on the little metal ferules will be stamped in INFO. Ya know ATC ABC UTC etc. Look at it under a lense or in my case my glasses (OK so I'm getting old) What's it say ? ABC 30 - 30 VDC. OK so u need a 30 Amp fuse at 12 volts or more. That's all that matters. Take the fuse with all the info you got to your local auto store and get the equivalent. Let the guy (or gal) behind the counter be your brain. One of the best, most knowledgeable folks I've met in this area was a gal, so let your hormones go and listen dude. Good luck and Tally Ho.