Help please - wheel came off axle

sherilwh

We have a 2011 greystone fifth wheel and the entire wheel has broken off the axle while driving on hwy on vacation. Has this happened to anyone else?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Re: Help please

Have not heard of this on the forum. Is everyone OK? That sounds like a nasty accident and a nasty interruption to your vacation.Don't hesitate to check out the HOTEL section on the main page if you would like some help or support from a local owner. You can find info to contact Heartland directly too if you have any problems getting work done.Let us know how you fair.Kristy

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

Hi Sheri, Sorry to hear of your trouble. I hope everyone is safe and there was no accident. here is the number for Heartland Customer Service. 877-262-8032 Have your VIN and call them asap and explain your situation and location. They will be able to get you to the closest dealer.

Losing a wheel is not something that happens very often. Did the wheel come off of the drum or did the hub/brake drum come off the spindle? Normal maintenance includes cleaning and repacking wheel bearings and proper installation and tightening of the hub/brake drum. Also checking the torque on the lug nuts that hold the wheel to the drum. Hopefully you are still under warranty. I allso hope you are able to get fixed up and back on the road. Please come back and let us know how everything works out.

DougS

Doug S

Is the wheel hub still connected to the rim, if so it is probably a bearing that went bad? I lost a wheel this summer. My lost wheel came off a replaced axle with approximately 3,500 miles on it. My axle is a Lippert axle, and they sent an axle overnight and then they dispatched a tech. Several of us with newer rigs have lost wheels from bad bearings. I have just upgraded to 8K axles, so hopefully my axle and wheel problems are in the past.Are you stuck on the road, or have you already had repairs made? If repairs have not been made, call in the problem before going ahead with repairs to get authorization.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member

We had a wheel fall off also with about 5000 mi on the rig. The front wheel bearing failed causing the hub/wheel/tire to fall off, luckley the axle nut stayed on and protected the spindel threads The bearing was replaced on the roadside and lasted 50 miles because the repair man installed it with a chisel. I now carry a complete wheel bearing set/ grease seal and tools with us. Note my Lippert axles and always been properly greased.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders

.... I now carry a complete wheel bearing set/ grease seal and tools with us. Note my Lippert axles and always been properly greased.

Same here. I carry a complete set for all four wheels and the neccesary tools. They do not weigh much and take up very little room but gives me a lot of peace of mind when on the road.

traveler44

Why did the wheel come off? There are several reasons one could come off, I just wondered what happened in your case? Tom M.