How do I determine the max PSI rating for my rims?

mhedlund

Mike & Mary
I recently had 2 blowouts on my unit. After getting the damage repaired, I've been doing a lot of research on finding replacement tires. I have factory aluminum rims on my 2006 Big Horn. I'm trying to determine if those rims will handle the GY G614. Those rims are marked "max load 3042 lbs D" Is that telling me that they are rated only up to a D range tire? My rig came with "E" range 16" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

grizzlygiant

My 2008 BH came with 100psi rated rims and I used G614 tires with best of service. Be sure to switch to metal valve stems! You could post on "ask the factory" for an official determination.

jimtoo

Hi Mike,

Normally the rims are stamped on the back of one of the spokes with "max load" and "max pressure". May not be on same spoke.

Jim M

TireHobby

I recently had 2 blowouts on my unit. After getting the damage repaired, I've been doing a lot of research on finding replacement tires. I have factory aluminum rims on my 2006 Big Horn. I'm trying to determine if those rims will handle the GY G614. Those rims are marked "max load 3042 lbs D" Is that telling me that they are rated only up to a D range tire? My rig came with "E" range 16" tires. Any help would be appreciated.

They way you have described what is depicted on your wheels would indicate they are rated for a maximum load of 3042# and that their maximum air pressure rating is 65 psi. That would indicate the vehicle manufacturer made a mistake in tire selection. The wheels should have been equipped with ST235/80R16D tires rated at 3000# at 65 psi. The LT235/85R16E when aired to 65 psi would not meet the minimum requirements needed for 6000# axles.

To verify what I’ve said above you need to call the rim/wheel manufacturer for load limits on those particular rims/wheels.

TireHobby

lwmcguir

The wheels are required to be stamped with the maximum pressure rating. Take a tire off and look for the stamping in the inside of the wheel.

TireHobby

In a nut shell: Tire manufacturers are required to provide a list of all rims suitable for use on all tires they manufacture. Those lists must be provided to all dealers that sell those tires to the general public. They are on display at your local tire dealers.

TireHobby

Willym

Wheels are often stamped with the maximum air pressure to be used when mounting the tyre. This is usually less than the maximum pressure that can be used for normal inflation. The mounting process can lead to higher stresses in the wheel as the tyre bead has to be seated over a shoulder in the rim. Consult the wheel manufacturer or supplier to be sure.

lwmcguir

My wheels on the Augusta are stamped 110 psig. Same as what the tires have for the maximum inflation. Same goes for some of my other trailers. Not arguing just stating what I see.

hoefler

After a blow out and buying 5 new tires, I had a tire leaking air and could not find the leak. It would leak down to about 85 psi and hold pressure there. It turned out to be a cracked wheel just under the bead line. The wheel was not related to the blow out, on the other side. They where all rated for 110 psi. My tire dealer showed me several different aluminum trailer wheels that had similar failures off of heavy trailers. I replaced them with steel wheels.

lwmcguir

It is not uncommon for cast alloy wheels to have leaks. The QA folks usually catch them and recycle prior to letting them get out the door. Many do however. Good alloy wheels are just as good as steel wheels. Probably have fewer leaks in the steel wheels however. I have alloys on my F550 with 110 psig in them. Never a leak yet in many years nor in any of the other trailers including the Augusta with alloys.