How far is too far?

cgaskins

We can do 500 miles fairly easy. My truck and trailer are dream to drive so no issues there. The main issue is my wife wanting to "get out", plus my buttocks get pretty tired. <grin> Longest run we have done was back at Christmas going from Austin, Texas to Willacoochee, Georgia to try to make it home before my dad passed away. We did about 560 miles in one day. That extra 60 miles was too much. So 500 is my limit.

-Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Never pass up a gas station when you are out in the middle of nowhere . . .

I say never pass up a gas station when you are out in the middle of nowhere . . . which is pretty much everywhere west of the Mississippi!

Even if there are 25 other RV's and Harley's waiting in line! :eek:

Know what your low fuel light means. Are you empty? Or do you have another 30 miles before being in danger of running out of fuel. At 10 miles per gallon, I would rather put in 36 having burned it in forward motion than 33. Make the most of every tank full.

That kind of thinking is what gave us this nice two-hour layover out in middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska . . .

80 miles to the next town . . . 3/4 tank of gas . . . No problemo!

But didn't factor in that strong wind we were driving straight into!

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

I guess I am glad that at least we had cell service out there!

Had a nice lunch in the trailer while waiting for Good Sam's Roadside Assistance to bring me five gallons of gas . . . which just barely got us to the next town.

On the plus side, this two-hour layover made us miss a huge hail storm that would have damaged the trailer for sure!

On the minus side . . . the gas that was delivered to me was E-85 (even though I asked and the driver said it wasn't) . . . my old truck was not made for E-85 and the rest of the drive home was not a great one!

Jim.Allison

Re: Never pass up a gas station when you are out in the middle of nowhere . . .

My statement was qualified; when I said "know what your low fuel light means" If one runs out of fuel then obviously one is not familiar with the functioning of his "low fuel light."

The upshot of my comments are only to facilitate long distance travel with minimum fatigue. Strategic fuelling or fuel management is a necessary function of towing a rig, maximizing travel, and minimizing fatigue.

I say never pass up a gas station when you are out in the middle of nowhere . . . which is pretty much everywhere west of the Mississippi!

Even if there are 25 other RV's and Harley's waiting in line! :eek:

That kind of thinking is what gave us this nice two-hour layover out in middle of Nowheresville, Nebraska . . .

80 miles to the next town . . . 3/4 tank of gas . . . No problemo!

But didn't factor in that strong wind we were driving straight into!

View attachment 35065

I guess I am glad that at least we had cell service out there!

Had a nice lunch in the trailer while waiting for Good Sam's Roadside Assistance to bring me five gallons of gas . . . which just barely got us to the next town.

On the plus side, this two-hour layover made us miss a huge hail storm that would have damaged the trailer for sure!

On the minus side . . . the gas that was delivered to me was E-85 (even though I asked and the driver said it wasn't) . . . my old truck was not made for E-85 and the rest of the drive home was not a great one!

wdk450

One experience I had when running low on fuel Eastbound on I-80 in Iowa, is that although the GPS will tell you where the next GAS station is, I have yet to find a good GPS download with all the stations where DIESEL is available. I pulled into a station with the low fuel light on, just to find the nearest DIESEL station was 10 miles further. Luckily, I made it.

On edit: I went to the POI Factory website, and found a listing of "US Diesel Stations" generated in 2012, and not since updated; but it does have 41,152 stations listed. http://www.poi-factory.com/node/37364

Gaffer

One experience I had when running low on fuel Eastbound on I-80 in Iowa, is that although the GPS will tell you where the next GAS station is, I have yet to find a good GPS download with all the stations where DIESEL is available. I pulled into a station with the low fuel light on, just to find the nearest DIESEL station was 10 miles further. Luckily, I made it.

On edit: I went to the POI Factory website, and found a listing of "US Diesel Stations" generated in 2012, and not since updated; but it does have 41,152 stations listed. http://www.poi-factory.com/node/37364

I use the gas buddy app.

Lynn1130

I preplan with Gas Buddy but I have found that while your on the move a search gives you locations that have passed and not what is coming up. You need to be specific with it. I have never had the low fuel warning light come on. I know my tank volume. Know what useable I have left and know how far to the next fuel. I did, however get a scare when I passed on fueling in Dalhart, ran into a 40 mph headwind on the way to Tucumcari and began to wonder if I would make it. My calculations said yes, my nerves said no, all the way there. The light never came on and I knew if it did I had 15 gals useable left.

wdk450

I use the gas buddy app.

I touch the Garmin "Where To?" tab, go down to the "Extras" Tab, then the Custom POI's, and Select "US Diesel Stations" from that list. Immediately comes up a screen listing of the nearest diesel stations with direction and distance. I can choose any displayed station as a new destination, and the GPS will get me there.

I don't use a smartphone.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I can tell you if you are traveling in West Texas and you are below a 1/2 tank you better start looking for a station. There are many areas in West Texas where it might be 60-80 miles between stations. And then they might not be open on the weekend or after 5pm.

1_oldgoat

As others have stated it depends on road conditions, time of year, ect....fall and winter months across some not so.good roads we tent to take it easy, 300-400 miles a day, decent weather and roads 600, or 2 fuel stops. We have done further but its hard on everyone, i did a little over 1100 by myself but wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If a mapped out trip is less than 1000 miles we try and split it up into 2 days, but everyone has their limits so whatever feels right to you as long as your rigs are safe, go for it!!
Safe travels

zombiejeep

On the other side of the coin, my wife and I took our new NT to one of our normal spots, a nice little state park less than 10 miles away this past weekend. Fun times!

caissiel

I never get tired driving up to 10 hrs in daylight. We drive down 2000 miles in the fall and again in the spring. If we stop at a CG we stay for 3 days or 3 nights. On the road with just overnight stay we have our favorite FJs and WMs. Nothing more tiring to me to stop at a campground for one night. By the time the location is found, registration, parking the RV and setting up the few things necessary or paid for services.
We use to travel with an other couple that insisted on CG for the night and we put the stop to it. They have no camper now and own permanent property in Florida.
BTW my wife follows behind with our compact car and been loving it driving alone behind me towing the 40ft trailer.
Our unit is like a caddy on the road, and to me its relaxing.
Previously we drove from sunup to sundown in order to enjoy max days at the vacationing spot.