How many days with two people using black tank have you gone?

Dylan

We're set up for ten days with no septic. I believe it's a 45 gall black tank, I'm wondering if we can make it ten days, or should we use the restrooms for a few days?

porthole

Retired
We have gone as long as 8 days IIRC with the holding tank. Of course this does require not using any excess water like running the water for showers and dishes etc.

If we will be dry for an extended length of time we tend to use more paper plates and plastic utensils.

As of yet we have not run out of black tank storage.

Last edited:

brianharrison

I have gone 5 days on black, but we flush (2 adults) with a fair amount of water to ensure lots of liquids. I am confident we could make 10 days with a conservation plan.

Brian

Tallyrver

Black tank should be fine ,great tank is another story ,2 showers a day fills it quick. The last campground I stayed at had no sewer but had lots of grey water dump sites spaced around the park. I used a 5 gallon bucket a few times.

wayne

Mr_Black

Did this all the time back in my Elk hunting days. 20' Dutchman TT.

It can be done with a plan of attack. This may not work if their is a lady friend on board lol.

olcoon

We can usually go a week without having to dump, and like others have said it's usually the grey tanks that need dumping. This is taking "Navy" showers about every other day, and doing dishes. By taking a proper "Navy" shower you'll only use about a gallon of water per shower. Once we did run out of water before we had to dump, but there was a water supply close so just used all the hose I had & filled up the FW tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If there are convenient restrooms, I would use them during the day and save the "in house" toilet for nighttime, bad weather, or sudden "emergencies." We used to do that with a smaller TT at the state park. Or get a tote tank to haul to the dump station.
Skimping on water when using the toilet is one way to develop tank problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
We also use a "flush king" valve to allow the two gray tanks to share the waste.

In a pinch, the black can also do the same.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
When we went to AZ we had water and electric
we went 12 days and all was good we did shower at the shower house. I kept waiting for the burp and it never did .

marvmarcy

We winter at the Navy base in Key West without using the bath house except for laundry. Most of the time we're in dry camp. We usually go 12-14 days before using the waste tote. We have a 50 gal bladder tank and pump for getting fresh water with the truck. We are in dry camp up to four weks before moving to full hookups for two weeks; then back to dry camp.

MCTalley

I'll add another vote for two weeks with two people. We spent the first four months of our full-timing adventure in a Corp of Engineers park with only water and electric. We bought a 37 gallon tote and Saturday was dump the tanks day. I never had more than half a tote of black water in all the time we stayed there. I could typically even do a little water flush and it would still fit in the tote.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We spend 14 days on the Texas coast (Goose Island State Park) every July with only water and electric. We use the parks bathroom during the day...plus we are usually on the go most days visiting family, etc... We've never heard the "burp" or had any problems with odor in the black or grey tanks. I do use a deoderizer specifically for grey tanks.
Showering is more like a "rinse". If we want to take a longer shower we use the parks facilities. We use paper plates as much as possible but I do wash dishes every other day or so.
We do use the "marine" toilet paper during our stay just to be on the safe side.

hoefler

While living full time during the house build, we would get 12-14 days consistently, no real care on how much water we used, we have a 50 gallon black tank. When in a park with electric and water only, we can get 3 days on the bath gray and only 2 on the galley gray. Both are 50 gallon tanks, but the real killer is the RO drinking system on the galley gray tank. It use about 7 gallons of water to make a gallon of drinking water.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We did five days easily with three adults (and three visitors who stayed one night with us) at a state park where we had electric hookup only and on a different trip five days with just the two of us with only electric.

Take quick showers - get wet - soap up and shampoo with water off - then rinse off!

We generally use the campground facilities during the day and save the black tank for after dark.

When we don't have water hookup, we do our dishes outside and use our old camp stove to get the dish water hot.

In this photo, notice the tan dish tubs upside down drying out on the picnic table:

Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg

I also have 200 feet of hose, a water thief and two 10 gallon water jugs with wheels when we need to fill up fresh water tank.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Another vote for about 2 weeks. We camp at a state park on the coast of SC for 2 weeks and dont dump until pulling out. Big business is done in the bath house but other than that, .....

bsuds

Either we use a lot of water or have a small tank. After 3 days ours usually shows 2/3 to full on the panel. We have never really dry camped so has not been a problem.