How many owners have had their dometic A/C replaced recently due to failure?

BandGun

great way to a cheap fix.. still might have to find a leak and fix that...somehow the gas escaped.
Agreed, however it took this long to leak to this degree and if and when I add more then I will add a dye and stop leak to it, still well under the expense of replacing it with something that costs so much and only comes with a 2 year warranty.

porthole

Retired
Should you end up needing to replace the AC unit - if you could do the repair you did - you can change out the AC unit.

The hardest part is getting the new AC on the roof.

Bob Vaughn

My 15000 Dometic sounds like a thrashing machine some times.....a mobile repair service said it needs to be replaced and I am waiting for the extended warranty company to approve the swap out. I want them to replace it with an Atwood Air Command heat pump. I am waiting to see how that goes. My unit still cools it just occasionally makes enough noise to wake the dead. Some times it sounds like it is going to take off from the roof. My ac was built in china in 2010 and installed in my 2011 Big Country probably in December of 2010.....:confused:

BandGun

My 15000 Dometic sounds like a thrashing machine some times.....a mobile repair service said it needs to be replaced and I am waiting for the extended warranty company to approve the swap out. I want them to replace it with an Atwood Air Command heat pump. I am waiting to see how that goes. My unit still cools it just occasionally makes enough noise to wake the dead. Some times it sounds like it is going to take off from the roof. My ac was built in china in 2010 and installed in my 2011 Big Country probably in December of 2010.....:confused:
Your Atwood Air Command heat pump will most likely be a dometic under the hood. They bought Atwood Air in early 2016.

fastcarsspeed

How did you know how much gas to put into the unit? My main unit is not cooling and since we are in the middle of switching the aftermarket warranty over to us I need to do this for a trip we have coming up in the next 2 weeks.

I purchased my Cyclone in Oct 2014. Two of my three AC developed issues recently with a lack of cooling. One had an average temp differential of 7 degrees and the other was much lower. Of course they are out of warranty and I found dometics website and customer service is sub par.

You can buy replacement units for a tad over $600 (B59516.XX1C0) and if you want someone else to install, it will total over $1100.

I went another route. Both units run. Both units are clean. Both units compressor starts. So I purchased a pair of bullet valves for $5.41 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FYIYIVA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .

I also purchased a 1.8Lb bottle of R410a with hose and gauge for $72.76 from budgetacservice.com and an additional bottle only for $47.49 from regrigerantguys.com.

I have only been running the units for a week now since I did the service but my daily temp differential check shows a consistant 20+ degree change.

$125.66 vs $2200.

jakoenig1

My Dometic did the same thing. I went on the roof and took off the cover. Turned out the noise was caused by the rubber grommet around the high pressure line had deteriorated and fallen out. I put several ty wraps around it and the noise stopped. If is still cools, it probably does not need to be replaced.

Bob Vaughn

My Dometic did the same thing. I went on the roof and took off the cover. Turned out the noise was caused by the rubber grommet around the high pressure line had deteriorated and fallen out. I put several ty wraps around it and the noise stopped. If is still cools, it probably does not need to be replaced.
I was listning to it yesterday and the noise sounded more brassie than tinny so I bet that is what is wrong with mine......What are TY wraps? Is that the same thing as zip ties?

jakoenig1

I had the Dometic heat pump model on my 2014 Big Country 3650RL. It failed in Sept, 2016 when on a trip to Oaklahoma City. The warranty was two years and the trailer was a little less than 3 years old. Dometic said that it was out of warranty but they would pay their cost on the non heat pump model, $1,089. The dealer charged me $1,635 installed for the non heat pump model. I saw made in Taiwan on the compressor that failed, I don't know where the unit is made. I paid approx. $500 for the heat pump upgrade so I figure I lost about $1,000 on the transaction. Hard to believe the RV industry can charge $1,600 for an AC when you can buy one with the same capacity for your house for less than $500.

- - - Updated - - -

I was listning to it yesterday and the noise sounded more brassie than tinny so I bet that is what is wrong with mine......What are TY wraps? Is that the same thing as zip ties?

Yes zip ties. I am not sure this is the best long term fix. Mine has been quit for 18 months. The ac line is very hot when running. Zip ties may not take the heat. In hindsight, wire and a rubber wrap around the ac line would have been better.

BandGun

How did you know how much gas to put into the unit? My main unit is not cooling and since we are in the middle of switching the aftermarket warranty over to us I need to do this for a trip we have coming up in the next 2 weeks.
The guage that came with the bottle I purchased has numeric and color coded zones marked on it. One of which indicates a range that is good. ***note*** that the supco bullet valves state on their install instructions NOT to use with R410a but I did anyway. I decided that if it was going to fail I was willing to risk it compared to a full replacement. It seems I made the right call in my case. I am still in the keys and it is working great.

Had to have both of the Dometic A/C's replaced on our 2016 Big Country after the second trip we took in April. Was done under warranty because they weren't drawing the proper amperage.

Todster

Hah. Our middle of 3 AC units had a seized compressor right during the pdi back in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LBR

Hah. Our middle of 3 AC units had a seized compressor right during the pdi back in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Similar experience...our rear AC of 3 worked fine during the PDI, then I remembered we never tried the heat strip in it. Turned it on and it went completely dead 5 minutes into using said heat strip...lol...this was before we left the parking lot.

fastcarsspeed

Just had the main living area unit replaced this week. Took my repair person all of 20 minutes to replace it. Good thing for Warranties.

Thunderbolt

I wonder if Heartland is reading any of these threads on the A/C units. Seems to me that common sense would tell you, these units are bad, so we don't need to be installing them. We need to change model or brand. With this many failures, it seems someone somewhere would ... make Dometic replace all of these models. I have not checked the other Heartland sites but feel they are probably like this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There was a failure on a large lot of Dometic ACs produced a couple of year ago. Yours may fall in that range. Need to contact Dometic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Hope this isn't considered a hijack,but do the dometic A/C units have abuilt I time delay if their is a power break before restarting? Or should I add a time delay in my progressive EMS. I didn't get any papers on the A/C United when we bought the Rv.

thanks

i think I found my own answer. Apparently the thermostat waits 2 minutes before starting the compressor once it calls for a cooling cycle.

Last edited:

bobw

Mine failed this past winter while we were in Florida. I work in a campground in the summer so I waited until I got home to replace it. I gave up counting how many I've replaced at the campground.

Garypowell

Just got word today my second domestic was going to be replaced under Dometic warranty. First unit was replaced with extended warranty at the 2.5 year mark. This one is just 1 month before the domestic one runs out.

Another way to put it is I think it was part of that "bad batch" 2 years ago......mine just made it a little further.

Glad i found it as we are leaving Sunday for 4 month trip.