How to add unpressurized fresh water (Bighorn 3270)

Restofrank

I know that someone has ask this question before and the answers that I've seen do not answer my question.
We dry camp for several weeks at a time once a year, and with our 2014 North Trail I have always been able to fill the fresh water holding tank with a 6 gallon water jug through the fresh water cap mounted on the trailer. Yesterday when we were at the RV dealership I noticed that the New Bighorns don't have a fresh water fill cap it looks to me that the refill has to be under pressure.
is there something I'm missing, what do you boondockers do when you need to add fresh water to your holding tank?
Thanks,
Frank

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can make up your own set up or get one of these. I just seen these on my last Camping would email.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/glacier-xi-12-volt-portable-water-pump-3gpm/93745

740d80b3af9d40f30315d1b956e32fe2.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LBR

One of these bladders should work for you...I've helped my friend fill his CY with one thru the UDC.

They weigh around 5 lbs and fold up into a convenient size for storage.....Many different gallonages, less and more than a 60 gallon one, which is a great size IMO.

Lay it out in bed of truck and fill with a garden hose in town of choice. When back at camp, hook a short hose to where you filled the bladder at and to your UDC, then lie down on it and take a short nap on that soft bed after all your hard work. There is enough pressure to open the fresh water fill one-way valve and start filling the RV tank.

When you've hit bottom, fold bladder in half and sit on it while reading the Heartland Forums...quarter it and eat an apple. What is left, drain into a bucket and wash the bugs off of the front cap

Ta-Daaaaa!

2cc29ddd106c38eaabfb9be651d5f271.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Restofrank

I can't stop laughing, you forgot to mention that I will also need to break out a couple of cold ones too, especially after my two hour nap.
I guess I can always take out my saws all and cut a hole in the side of the trailer and punch a hole in the top of the tank. LOL
Frank

TedS

You may be able to put the Anderson valve in the tank fill position and draw water through the winterize valve filling the fresh water tank using the onboard water pump.

Todster

You may be able to put the Anderson valve in the tank fill position and draw water through the winterize valve filling the fresh water tank using the onboard water pump.

I'm curious about this. Can you help explain the details? We too boondock a lot and have wondered if I can do it without my second pump I carry around....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I'm curious about this. Can you help explain the details? We too boondock a lot and have wondered if I can do it without my second pump I carry around....

When the Anderson Valve is set to Winterize/Sanitize, water connected to the water inlet will be sucked into the pump and routed to the faucets and other fixtures. It will not be routed to the fresh tank.

When the valve is set to Tank Fill, the pump is not in the path and there's no suction.

The check valve built into the water inlet requires a bit of pressure to open. So you probably need a pump. Some people have recommended Harbor Freight for low-priced 12V transfer pumps. Amazon also has some.

Sitting on the 60 gallon bladder might also work.

212Pilot

Anderson does make a valve that will pump from an unpressurised source to the tank the 200RV-WHBS Flow Path.

I ordered the 120 Gal AquaTank and it should arrive tomorrow. I wrongly thought I could pump to the tank in the winterize/sanitize mode but tested it today and its a no go. I will open up the back wall to the plumbing mess tomorrow and see if I can install an additional bypass valve to go from the pump to the tank using the winterize/sanitize mode.

mlpeloquin

When you open the wall up, add hinges and latches so you will have easy access in the future. A lot of us owners have done this.

TedS

Construct a jumper hose to connect the outside shower to the city water connection. Set the Anderson valve to winterize. Use the pump to draw water through the winterizing valve. Turn the pump on and open the cold outdoor shower faucet to fill the fresh water tank.

Alternatively, maybe the tank fill setting would work and still allow the pump to draw from the winterize valve.

danemayer

Construct a jumper hose to connect the outside shower to the city water connection. Set the Anderson valve to winterize. Use the pump to draw water through the winterizing valve. Turn the pump on and open the cold outdoor shower faucet to fill the fresh water tank.

Alternatively, maybe the tank fill setting would work and still allow the pump to draw from the winterize valve.
What "winterizing valve"?

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
what you need to do is get a three way valve just like the one you already have in your UDC that you use to bypass you hot water, mount in your UDC, be sure to mont in a spot that you have room to run three 1/2" pex lines to. Next the water line after the pump splice in with a 90 run that line to the knew valve you mounted in the UDC. then run a line from the knew valve and tee it to the water line that runs to the fresh tank. Now you will have one out let left on your knew valve run that line from it back to the water line after the pump again with a 90. Here's how it works set your valve to winterize hotwater to bypass put a hose in a water source, forgot to mention you need to figure out on your knew valve what position will direct water to your fresh water line and the other position will direct the water back to the line after the pump. Turn on your pump on,on your knew valve select the position that will direct the water to the fresh water line.When done turn off pump, select the opposite position on your knew valve take your anderson valve off winterize hot water off of bypass and your good to go. This is what worked for me.

Todster

Ok. So my alternate method of:

1)Connect standby pump to external tank and fill connection.

2)Plug standby pump power in and watch the wind blow in the trees while sipping a cold one.

All of the sudden sounds not so bad

Oregon_Camper

I purchased this pump from amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000CPZTEK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wayne PC2 Portable Transfer Pump. Available in both 125 VAC and 12 VDC versions.

I have the same one...works great. ;)

I tried the cheap way first, by getting a low priced pump from Harbor Freight. All that got me was a cheap/broken pump and no water for 3 days (in tank) while dry camping. Got some evil looks from DW, so I bought a quality pump the next time.

Restofrank

RoadJunkie

One option would be to buy a spare ShurFlo pump and set it up with connections for filling the tank. Now if the main pump goes out you already have the spare.