Hummmmmmm

Mike4401

Hi there,

I have a constant humming noise near the inside stairs in my 2018 Newport. I tried flipping each of the breakers, and then pulling each of the 12v fuses near the stairway, and the noise persisted. I then removed the back wall in the pass through storage, and the noise seems to be coming from a black box in there. I think it is the power control system.

Is this normal?

thanks,

mike s

MCTalley

On our last rig, we had a constant noise from our converter. When I investigated, I found that the cooling fan was running all the time. I contacted the converter manufacturer and they said the fan was thermostatically controlled and should only come on when the converter was under a high load. They suggested I contact Heartland and arrange for a new converter.

Our call happened to coincide with the 2015 National Rally, so we ended up having the replacement converter installed at the rally as part of our rally service, though I was was willing to install it myself.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The black box is your transfer switch
The convertor is probably aluminum/ sheet metal color.

a7756f7cb35844c9d0818b2985f38d15.jpg

e7e1f493cf47e0dc5e1832ff0a9d1d78.jpg

My transfer switch was humming really load. I called progressive and they said to replace it. So I called Heartland and they sent me a new one.
I have 2 transfer switches in my unit and only one was humming.
I found that going in to the transfer switch (with unit UNPLUGGED from shore power) you can tighten all of the jamb screws on the wires and quiet it down.
7bdc6bd2fa20045681c91272297ee251.jpg

busted2341

I had the same problem, really loud I thought. On this site I was told to check the lugs on the surge protector, the black box, and sure enough, one was loose. Tightened it and wow! Still hums just not loud!

Mike4401

Yes Jarrod, that is my humming black box. It's gonna be 105 here in Red Bluff today, so not a good day to shut off the power and tear apart that rear storage wall again. As soon as we hit some cooler weather, I will do that though.

thanks, Mike

BillGott

Jesstalkn, is your transfer switch hooked up only to shore power or do you have a generator also? I am considering adding a generator when we go full timing next year. My St. Augustine came with "generator prep" and after talking with the factory I am more confused. It appears I have an Onan start panel in the switch electrical area in my 5ver and a 4 prong plug where the generator would be installed. There appears to be no dedicated propane line for a generator nor any wiring that may go to the transfer switch. Typically in a generator RV setup the transfer switch has the shore power as supply A and generator as supply B. depends on how it is setup as to what has priority. I really can't tell from your pictures.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes I have a Onan 5500 Gen. You should have the little metal junction box by the Gen fire box. If you do that box is already wired into your transfer switch.
If your unit is pre-wired for Gen that should all be there.
You will have to plumb into your propane system yourself. There are no pre prepped ports for that.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

If the transfer switch is humming possibly an issue at the pedestal ( bad contact loose connection. I)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk