I Need A Replacement Generator

I Just Bought a 2012 BigHorn Silverado and the person I bought it from did not have the original generator that was in the front compartment of the trailer what Size am I looking for to run my trailer off the grid when I am boondocking. or when I don't have power

looking to run
- Lights (of Course)
- Microwave
- Both Ac's or Furnes
- Tv
- 2 Computers

jimtoo

Hi Scotsman21,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club, it’s free now. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call. They can tell you what was installed at factory.
I would think it would be very unusual for someone to remove generator. Does it have the metal enclosure and wiring in the front compartment?

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

danemayer

The Onan generator that ships from the factory runs on propane. I'd guess you have 30 lb propane tanks that contain about 7 gallons each. Consider that the Onan 5500 propane models consume close to 1 gallon per hour with a full load like you're describing. If you're planning on boondocking for more than a day, you might consider alternatives to the on-board generator.

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I would get a 5.5K it should run all of the things on your list. Ours is gas and we can do a week easy boondocking.

porthole

Retired
I Just Bought a 2012 BigHorn Silverado and the person I bought it from did not have the original generator that was in the front compartment of the trailer what Size am I looking for to run my trailer off the grid when I am boondocking. or when I don't have power

looking to run
- Lights (of Course)
- Microwave
- Both Ac's or Furnes
- Tv
- 2 Computers

If you are willing to switch to gasoline, there is a thread on forum here with one of the members that did that. And if you go with the 7K gasoline model it is the same size & weight but has the benefit of a higher output and FUEL injection.

- - - Updated - - -

And when you say 'boondock' howe long are you talking about?

carl.swoyer

looking to run
- Lights (of Course)
- Microwave
- Both Ac's or Furnes
- Tv
- 2 Computers
Having not read the whole post,but are you sure the genset was originally installed?
When I got my 2012 Landmark it was factory prepared for the Onan. I had to knock out the plates for the air intake and exhaust.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wdk450

You could run everything on your list excepting the 2 air conditioners with an inexpensive, portable, 1500 watt generator. To my way of thinking with Air Conditioning also in the picture, the generator size needed, and the cost of fuel to run it, does not make boondocking with air conditioners running a viable option. For me, if you need to run air conditioners, get yourself into an RV space with shore power electrical hookups.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
You could run everything on your list excepting the 2 air conditioners with an inexpensive, portable, 1500 watt generator. To my way of thinking with Air Conditioning also in the picture, the generator size needed, and the cost of fuel to run it, does not make boondocking with air conditioners running a viable option. For me, if you need to run air conditioners, get yourself into an RV space with shore power electrical hookups.

Hmmm....not sure how to approach this. I tailgate at college football games for an entire weekend and run a pair of Honda’s that are in parallel with an extended run tank. I use approximately 24 gallons running from early Friday morning to mid morning on Sunday with no problems. You don’t need hook ups all the time. Just my thoughts. Now my next rig will have onboard generator so that I can run more than just one ac lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Scotsman21,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club, it’s free now. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

I suggest you call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call. They can tell you what was installed at the factory.
I would think it would be very unusual for someone to remove generator. Does it have the metal enclosure and wiring in the front compartment?

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

yea all the wiring and the control panel is all installed inside the guy I bought it from is the second owner I believe he has done a few modifications to the Trailer as well its all set up I just have no Generator

- - - Updated - - -

If you are willing to switch to gasoline, there is a thread on the forum here with one of the members that did that. And if you go with the 7K gasoline model it is the same size & weight but has the benefit of a higher output and FUEL injection.

- - - Updated - - -

And when you say 'boondock' how long are you talking about?

we have a membership with thousand trails so we need to be out of their system form 4-7 days before we can get back in also if we are traveling across country we need to be able to have power if needed if we cant find a place to hook up

danemayer

Look in the front compartment for a propane hose. Also look for an exhaust pipe coming out underneath. If you don't have those things, there probably was never a generator there. That means that to install a generator, you have more work to do.

esscobra

I installed the 7k fuel injected onan - its much easier to buy gas at night and on weekends than to fill a propane tank- It can run both 15k a/cs , 3 tvs, 3 sat receivers, res fridge, inverter, converter , and microwave without missing a beat in south texas summers- I have a infield spot in ft worth trqack- 2 nascar races and 1 indy car race-
plus lots of prep drag race events- I have 14 gal tank in place of one of the propane tanks- if you look at on specs the 7k uses 1.6 v 1.4 pr/hr in onan book- basically we put5 gal in morning and5 gal before going to sleep and we don't worry about running out of fuel. its so much nicer to top wherever you want for the night when traveling - wal-mart,rest area etc and be able to enjoy warm food, and cool trailer- ( its already been hig 80's here ) or restful sleep- without having to get out portable units - connect them and hopethe don't get stolen- t also nice when you inline to get in a place ( track or campground ) in 95-100 heat an start gen and un a/cs a already have a cool trailer to walk into after setting up. so much nicer to just press that button for a few secs.

avvidclif

I agree on the installed genny. That's one reason I purchased a toy hauler besides to haul the bike. 30 gal of onboard gas and except for middle of Aug-Sep we can get by on 1 AC at night and that allows 48 hrs of continuous running. I carry a 5 gal can to resupply if needed.