If you had a second chance at a do over (manual vs electric awning)?

jpajax

How many of you would change the electric awning out for a manual if you had the chance. If you did how do you like the change and was it hard to do. I like the idea of just mashing the button and in it comes but don't like having to roll it up when it comes a storm or think it might come one while we are gone. Mine does not have the option that well let you tilt so the water can run off one side and can't be added on. It was damaged in accident and was ask if they replace it would want electric or replaced with manual. :confused:

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Re: If you had a second chance at a do over?

We have never had a manual but love the electric. Other than bringing it in because of the wind, it works great. The one that came with our trailer is called "carefree", and it has a feature for dealing with the rain where one end collapses and all the water runs out the end, then it springs back into place once the weight is gone (pretty cool). Although I will say the first time it did that ( I was not aware of that feature) I was sitting near the end that drained and it was rather sudden and scared the %$&* out of me. :eek:

Jimmy

We have the "Carefree" self dumping electric, and would keep it.

Ticaster

I have had both and although the manual one is nice in that you can adjust it, I love the ease of the electric awning and wouldn't trade it for anything.

jayc

Legendary Member

I have had both and love the ability to hit the button to roll it in.

jnbhobe

I ordered mine with the manual and they put on the electric. Although the electric is convient I would still rather have the manual model and it would be an 8500 model with the metal weather shield.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Electric is nice so long as the motor doesn't fry itself. Once it dies, the convenience thing becomes a meaningless joke and you're screwed. Everytime I operate it since it did, I wince. Given the chance, I'd consider getting rid of the Dometic and going to the Carefree. Failing that, I'd seriously consider going to a manual one.

DMitch

I have had both electric and manual. The manual is so much more adjustable. The electric I have is not adjustable at all but the ease of use is wonderful. If I had to do it over again I think I would go with the manual. The ability to flexibly adjust the awning under different conditions is worth the little extra work to setup etc. in my opinion.

hoefler

I would also stick with the manual. I like the adjustable, plus after I get it tied down, I don't have to worry about it if the wind comes up or it rains while I am gone. The electric sounds very inviting, but if your not there to push the button, and a storm comes up, you are in for an OH S&%T when you get home.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.

We have never had a manual but love the electric. Other than bringing it in because of the wind, it works great. The one that came with our trailer is called "carefree", and it has a feature for dealing with the rain where one end collapses and all the water runs out the end, then it springs back into place once the weight is gone (pretty cool). Although I will say the first time it did that ( I was not aware of that feature) I was sitting near the end that drained and it was rather sudden and scared the %$&* out of me. :eek:
Same here...What the heack was that!!! Anyway so far we love the electric awning too.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Had the manual for years, and now have the A&E Electric. Ours is a newer version, so it does have the "dump" feature on both sides...in fact, got an up close and personal demonstration yesterday during a downpour here in NY, this also allows for adjustment on either end also....and it worked great! Did scare the "you know what" out of me though...

We have found it's just as easy to tie the electric down if we want to, especially if we're staying someplace for a longer period...we just use a rachet strap wrap at each end of the roller tube and hook to the stakes in the ground. Handles the wind and the rain just fine...

I'd stick with my electric....

porthole

Retired
Electric and wouldn't look back. Electric means Deb can take care of it too.

I also added a switch for mine, I can operate it from either inside or from the basement compartment, very convenient.

jpdoggett

We have had both this is the first Electric one and so far I realy like it, Don't know if it has the dump feature or not no rain. The trouble with the manual one with the slide on the door side is the one leg is hard to work with

jpajax

Thanks all wouldn't it be a million dollar idea if they made and electric with all the manual feature's. like being able to tilt, drop down for extra shade and easer cleaning and a leg that you could drop down too make it more secure.

Wharton

Our previous trailer had manual and we hardly used it. Now with the electric we use the awning all the time. We do bring it in when we leave the trailer as it is the bottom of the line model and doesn't have wind or dumping protection. If this one goes we would upgrade to the wind and dumping level without any question.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

We had a manual awning on our previous 5er. It was a pita to use and quickly put up. We love the auto awning on the Landmark and use it all the time. It is great to be able to put it out and retract it from inside or out. The wind sensor on it works great too. We do not leave it out when we are gone or at night.

jpajax

Well got the go ahead to put on manual. Now hear is the decision now what brand and what features and naturally which is the best? :confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

The electric might not have even been an option in 2006 when we ordered our BH. As much as I like the manual awning and having the ability to stake it out and withstand some pretty good wind and rain, I would probably go with electric next time. Just the ease of operation would be nice. Heck, if it's windy and rainy, we're not usually outside anyway.

GOTTOYS

I don't plan on ever going back to a manual awning. We never leave ours out overnight anyway and sure is nice to push a button and roll it up...Don

back2nature

We are in the 21st century. Hands down the electric for us. This season, we have had plenty of rain, on nice warm days, and we enjoy sitting in our chairs under it. We just drop the awning on one side to let the rain run off. Like others have said, we never leave the RV with it out, in case a strong wind comes up while we are gone, and they do. We wouldn't leave a manual out either. In a light wind, we tie it down to the RV frame with ratching tie-down straps.