Induction Cooktop - Glass Top Shattered

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Erika - sorry to hear about your mishap. Wish you would have made the Vegas rally. Lippert made me padded bags to hold/store the microwave glass plate. Attendees seemed to like them. Hope they use them!

Yes, Terry H and I replaced it. Took 20 minutes.
  • Unplug cooktop from receptacle below it
  • Using monofilament line to cut through silicone that glues cooktop to countertop
  • Wish one person pushing up from below on the bottom of the cooktop, have another person carefully pry up on the glass top
  • Use a razor blade to clean off all the old silicone on the countertop
  • Put a thin bead of new clear silicone rubber around the cutout in the countertop
  • Carefully place new cooktop in place
  • Place a dish towel over the new cooktop and place some heavy books or similar on the top
  • Carefully cleanup silicone that may squeeze out of the joint
  • Allow silicone to cure a few hours before removing weight
  • Plug in and enjoy

Thanks Jim. I'm not sure ours even has silicone -- hard to see any -- it was replaced already under warranty by our selling dealer. --- The original was already scratched before we bought it, and noted during our PDI.

I know of the microwave plate sleeves, we were gifted one from Don & Monica to give away in Alpine. Which we did!

We've even had the plate come out before, but not break. Guess our luck ran out.

Good news is the cooktop is available on Amazon. I'll contact Heartland to get their price, but with free shipping with Prime, I bet they can't beat that.

Good news is we have a portable induction burner we bought and used in our previous rig, so we can still cook. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

Our microwave turntable glass plate doesn't care to stay put when we travel the potholed highways neither.....We will probably toss it onto the bed from now on where our 2 heavy sink covers get placed.

jbeletti

Our microwave turntable glass plate doesn't care to stay put when we travel the potholed highways neither.....We will probably toss it onto the bed from now on where our 2 heavy sink covers get placed.
Before I got the padded bag for mine, for years, we stored ours standing up, slipped down between the sofa cushions. Stays there perfectly.

jbeletti

Thanks Jim. I'm not sure ours even has silicone -- hard to see any -- it was replaced already under warranty by our selling dealer...
That will make reinstallation even easier for you. 10 minutes - tops. I suggest you do lay a bead of silicone rubber for to semi-glue the cooktop down.

porthole

Retired
When we don't have the micro filled with bread for traveling, I have a piece of the larger size pool noodle cut to fit snugly in the micro.

Chippendale

Cheap Walmart pillow folded in half and stuffed in the microwave has worked so far, watch it break on the way home Monday. Maybe I should stuff the plate between the sides of the folded pillow and put it back into the microwave.

danemayer

Seems like I recall someone posting a while back about the glass plate bouncing inside the microwave and breaking the glass door.

mlpeloquin

Erika - sorry to hear about your mishap. Wish you would have made the Vegas rally. Lippert made me padded bags to hold/store the microwave glass plate. Attendees seemed to like them. Hope they use them!

Yes, Terry H and I replaced it. Took 20 minutes.
  • Unplug cooktop from receptacle below it
  • Using monofilament line to cut through silicone that glues cooktop to countertop
  • Wish one person pushing up from below on the bottom of the cooktop, have another person carefully pry up on the glass top
  • Use a razor blade to clean off all the old silicone on the countertop
  • Put a thin bead of new clear silicone rubber around the cutout in the countertop
  • Carefully place new cooktop in place
  • Place a dish towel over the new cooktop and place some heavy books or similar on the top
  • Carefully cleanup silicone that may squeeze out of the joint
  • Allow silicone to cure a few hours before removing weight
  • Plug in and enjoy

We got ours at the Vegas rally and use it always. Push it between the two couch cushions when traveling. Before the padded bags we wrapped the microwave plate in a dish towel and kept it in the microwave. It never came out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We also got the plate holder last October at the Vegas Rally and placed the glass plate in it for the ride home.

Seems to be working really well as it is still under the dinette cushion, although the Prowler hasn't moved since we got home. :p

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
Well, my luck ran out also. don't recall hitting any big bumps but microwave dish landed on the induction cooktop and shattered it. OOPS! Thinking of replacing it with the Furrion cooktop. Jut need a gas line which shouldn't be a problem, I hope

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Well, my luck ran out also. don't recall hitting any big bumps but microwave dish landed on the induction cooktop and shattered it. OOPS! Thinking of replacing it with the Furrion cooktop. Jut need a gas line which shouldn't be a problem, I hope

Been there, broke that! I lucked into finding a used induction cooktop that another Heartlander had removed. They put in a Furrion gas stovetop. Alwaysonliberty did it back in July, I think they hired someone for the gas line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk