Inexpensive easy modifications

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I went to the Princess Auto store in my area and found these 3500PSI hydraulic valves and had one 20ft, and one 10ft hose made with the 4AN JIC fittings on each end. They also had the hydraulic fittings in stock.

They are 3/8" Hy-spec A105 valves. heres the pick of the assembly.
Correction they are 3000Lbs medium pressure valves

Those valves of yours look a lot more functional than the little leaky knobs that are OEM. Question: what is that gage in the background?

lwmcguir

Several good sources for hydraulic hoses and fittings are the local farm implement dealers and farm supply stores. Most can make hose assemblies while you wait if need be. I use Granger and McMaster Car for those odd items/fittings/valves and Northern Tool has quite a few items as well. Fortunately we haven't had a single issue with the hydraulics on the Augusta to date.

Boca_Shuffles

Is there any chance you could post a picture of the type of fastener you are talking about? I'm due for a fuel filter change and DREAD the process. Last time, I paid the dealer to do it (GASP!). I am told there is a special GM tool to get the water drain thing on the bottom loose, so you don't have to remove the wheel well. Maybe that's the better route to go?

These are the two standard automotive clips you can use. These can be purchased at hardware and automotive supply ships.

The picture is actually a little trick photography. There are only two clips (on their side) with their respective shadows.

Even if you can drain the filter, you still have to get it off and the new one on. There is little room to work if you truck is not on a hoist.

The plastic push rivet won't rust, but might break when removing and replacing.

The metal clip goes on the wheel well first and then the cover can be installed with a bolt.

photo.JPG

ihsolutions

These are the two standard automotive clips you can use. These can be purchased at hardware and automotive supply ships.

The picture is actually a little trick photography. There are only two clips (on their side) with their respective shadows.

Even if you can drain the filter, you still have to get it off and the new one on. There is little room to work if you truck is not on a hoist.

The plastic push rivet won't rust, but might break when removing and replacing.

The metal clip goes on the wheel well first and then the cover can be installed with a bolt.

View attachment 12084

Thank you very much for the picture. I get it now. My truck is an 03, maybe that's different than your 08, but I don't have any problem getting the filter off with a slip-on rubber loop oil filter wrench. But first you have to get the sensor off the bottom, and that's a beast without the tool, or removing the wheel well!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Is there any chance you could post a picture of the type of fastener you are talking about? I'm due for a fuel filter change and DREAD the process. Last time, I paid the dealer to do it (GASP!). I am told there is a special GM tool to get the water drain thing on the bottom loose, so you don't have to remove the wheel well. Maybe that's the better route to go?

I change my filter from the top side ,just need to bend the air conditioner line a 1/2 " or less to get clearance for the filter. You just need to be gentle and only need enough room to get filter out. The bottom water drain doesn't need to come off till you get the filter out, just need to follow electric wire down and unplug it from the harness. I use a strap filter wrench to take it off and no special tool need to take the sensor drain off. You can change one out in 15 minutes after you do it once.......Kenny

caissiel

The gauge is an analog ampmeter gauge installed on the line from truck to trailer battery. It indicates charging system condition of batteries while truck idling.
I found it not realy good indicator of load in the line, For some reason the gauge reading is much lower compared to my digital clamp-on ampmeter.

The reading usualy gets as high as 23AMPs on the clamp metre.