Installing Wet Bolts

NYSUPstater

Wet bolt kit arriver last week and will be installing 1st part of next month. Is it best to take all 4 tires off w/ coach on jackstands and install them or 1 side at a time w/ 2 tires off ( camper hooked to truck as well)? Last coach/time I did it, I want to say I took all 4 tires off. Doing it by myself, took 2 days. Was several years ago. What's best?

rhodies1

Just did mine last week,do one side at a time,if you do not have self levelling system, use 2 proper weight jacks under the frame of the trailer ,NOT the axles and raise trailer off the ground,also place jack stands under frame ..Place 2 small hydraulic jacks under axles close to springs to hold axles from dropping when removing the old system. ..lower the axles down far enough to drive out old plastic shims,raise and install new wet bolt kit.
Remember to torque to no more than 50 ft lbs torque on the wet bolt kit as per Dexter specs.
Have fun but be safe,do not climb under unit.....

aatauses

Doing one side at a time may be better. also I think?? the torque for the wet bolts is 50 #'s. Also make sure the "opening" in the bolt is on either side, not up/down or you will have a difficult time getting grease into them.
al

NYSUPstater

I can get 25 ton stands from work, so no prob there and going under it. Have a floor jack that I can use w/a long board or so to support both axles at same time. Do recall as well about placing the holes in the bolts at the 3 or 9 O'clock position for greasing. I marked them on last set or old coach on head of bolt so to see it easier when it came time to insert them into things. TIA folks.

windviewer

Doing one side at a time may be better. also I think?? the torque for the wet bolts is 50 #'s. Also make sure the "opening" in the bolt is on either side, not up/down or you will have a difficult time getting grease into them.
al

Also make sure you put a wrench on the Bolt head and torque on the nut side. (Don't rely on the friction fit of the wet bolt - use a wrench to hold it)

NYSUPstater

Got the wet bolts installed. However, 1 bolt won't take any grease. Tried w/ the end of grease gun hose as well as a needle tip and nada. So either the zerk is bad or bolt. Hope it's the former. Anyone know if the zerks are pressed or threaded in?

rhodies1

If you are referring to the set up attached to your equalizers they are press fit by Dexter,the bolts used on the shackle end by the frame should also be pressed into the shackle by the installer using a socket and clamp to prevent damaging the grease fitting but some installer may just hammer them into the shackle.The head of the bolt has small grooves which grip the shackle preventing the bolt from turning.
Its possible the installer put the bolt in with the hole at the 6 and 12 o'clock position and with the weight of the trailer on the bolt will not allow grease to exit the bolt,they are to be installed with the grease outlet hole at the 3 and 9 o'clock position.You may be forced to have this removed and reinstalled.
Good luck.

rxbristol

I don't have wet bolts, but I read, in a previous thread, that another individual had the same problem and they took the weight off that side (using their leveling system) and they were able to get the bolt to take grease.

NYSUPstater

I made sure I marked the holes on head of bolt so when installed they were at the 3 or 9 o'clock position. This bolt is the one for front spring hanger. Weight was off this side of coach when greasing, just this 1 bolt doesn't want to co-operate.

Roller4tan

My thinking is to pump some grease into the bolt prior to assembly to verify it'll take grease. I did that on an installation on my last trailer. I have a set for this trailer and will install soon.

WillyBill

Try pumping the grease into it while someone raises and lowers the axle and/or while hitting it appropriately with a hammer.

WB

NHCelt

I am in the same boat. Past experience with new wet bolts has been that they will take grease after the first or second trip. If not, then try changing out the zerk.

Just my thoughts...but even if you never greased them it would be a real, real long time before you wore through these.