Is a Landmark Newport that much better than a Bighorn 3875FB

oldfitter

Is there that much difference between a Landmark Newport and a Bighorn 3875FB to justify $30,000 + difference. I get there is more things standard but that's a lot. And you owners of a Newport tell me what you love about your 5er.

jimtoo

Hi oldfitter,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'll let some of our Landmark owners give their opinions. But there are a number of things different.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

T

TomMontague

Thanks for the inquiry and the chance to explain what the true differences are. Let me first start by saying the price difference is closer to 20k if you add the full body paint to a Big Born.

The items that are different are as follows:

exterior paint - energy effecient.
white a/C's vs black to reflect heat
all LED exterior lights
8k axles and 17.5" Goodyear tires
straight roof line
lower first step entry steps
slam latch bulk head storage door
offdoor slide controls / level-up
custom personalized LED Welcome or Name Plate
Culligan water filtration system
privacy window trim
legless dinette table
oversized dinette chairs (2)
pop up USB/ 110 outlet in buffet
solid surface buffet top
Waveland Furnitire Collection
9 - 110 outlets in main living area
double sided island / dishwasher ready
two way silverware drawer
hidden access to back of sink
13 gallon trash can
single bowl farmhouse sink
cutting boards on back of sink covers
metal magazine rack
metal spice rack
two metal grab interior grab handles
47" LED TV with hidden storage behind
all drawers that pull out are solid maple
all LED interior lights except dinette/sconces
7'-3" slide heights
8'-2" ceiling heights in main cabin
motorhome tray ceiling look and feel
convection microwave standard
22 cu ft residential refer standard
induction cooktop standard
power management standard
gen prep standard
surge protection standard
solid surface sofa tables w storage
step stool standard
solid surface CPAP compaitble nightstands
110/USB outlets on both sides of bedbase
two large drawers under bedbase
bedbase on struts for additional storage under bed
Waveland Sleep System - mattress and box spring
hidden 32" bedroom TV behind decorative 2-way mirror
windows in almost every bathroom
oversized vanity mirror w residential sconces ( most floor plans )
Shaw residential carpet w 2X stain master protection
large, unobstructed closet w cedar shelves
residential essentials package:
Moen kitchen faucet
Moen bath faucet
Moen shower head
Dometic 320 toilet ( except front bath in newport )
2-15,000 BTU A/C's standard
insulated front and rear cap
additional floor insulation inside frame
solid surface backsplash w brick pattern
designated slot for sink and stove covers
designated peg drawer for dish storage
Power cord reel standard
2 year Warranty vs 1 year

optional 3rd 15,000 BTU A/C
optional Dishwasher
6 full body paint options to match any truck

For now these are the things I can think of off the top of my head - I'm sure there are a few more but this is a pretty solid list of upgrades from the Big Horn. I hope this helps.

Thanks
Tom

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Awesome job, Tom! Not many places you can go and get the answer to your questions straight from the top!

jgilbert

Wow! That is a lot of upgrades! I'd say the LM 365 is well worth whatever it costs above the BigHorn especially if you are a full timer!

Good job Tom!!

Joe

T

TomMontague

It's a comprehensive list for sure but we aren't done. We are working every day to understand our market and our customers better. I'm sure you will see some some really cool things happening with LM365 as we move forward and grow the brand. It's an exciting time to be a full-timer or an extended stay RV'er.

Talk soon
Tom

It's a comprehensive list for sure but we aren't done. We are working every day to understand our market and our customers better. I'm sure you will see some some really cool things happening with LM365 as we move forward and grow the brand. It's an exciting time to be a full-timer or an extended stay RV'er.

Talk soon
Tom
To say that I'm impressed with what I've seen so far from Landmark would be an understatement. This is the first coach that I've felt really good about when I walked inside. I know that's shallow, but what the heck. I hope you're able to get that MOR/ryde IS as an option sometime in the next year or so. I still find it inspiring how you interact with people on this forum. I've not seen it to this extent anywhere else.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
To say that I'm impressed with what I've seen so far from Landmark would be an understatement. This is the first coach that I've felt really good about when I walked inside. I know that's shallow, but what the heck. I hope you're able to get that MOR/ryde IS as an option sometime in the next year or so. I still find it inspiring how you interact with people on this forum. I've not seen it to this extent anywhere else.

It just seems crazy to me, to have a frame built with axles and wheels and stuff, just to take it over and have it all cut off and replaced with a IS.

It just seems crazy to me, to have a frame built with axles and wheels and stuff, just to take it over and have it all cut off and replaced with a IS.
If I can get everything I want, sans an IS, for the price point I'm looking for, what's another $5600? From what I've read, it's well worth the money. And that's if it's not an option. I would expect the price would not be that much, as I wouldn't be throwing away two 8,000 lb. axles. Everything I've read about coaches with Lippert frames is that the weak point of them is always the frame area over the axles. If I can eliminate that during an IS upgrade, I will.

porthole

Retired

And that is why other high end coaches now offer it as a factory option - including "Heartland-Thor" branded DRV.

T

TomMontague

Offering MOR/ryde IS isn't as simple as everyone makes it sound on line. If it was, trust me we would offer it in a heartbeat. I can also tell you the cost is significant and most dealers wouldn't stock it as a standard.

I'm having talks with the upper management of Heartland regarding the feasibility of offering this as an option. In the meantime we've partnered with MOR/Ryde to offer a $600 coupon for this wanting IS and Kodiak disc brakes. It's not the same as a factory option but it's at least something. If you or anyone else you know would like a coupon please let me know and I can send one out.

As for other brands offering it as an option - DRV does. Please keep in mind the cost difference between DRV and LM365 is going to be north of $20,000 which is way more money than scraping a pair of 8k axles. Just my opinion.

Have a great weekend. I'm playing Mr. Mom ( with the flu ) while my wife is in Indianapolis with her girlfriends at the Maroon 5 / Adam Lavine concert.

Talk soon
Tom

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Offering MOR/ryde IS isn't as simple as everyone makes it sound on line. If it was, trust me we would offer it in a heartbeat. I can also tell you the cost is significant and most dealers wouldn't stock it as a standard.

I'm having talks with the upper management of Heartland regarding the feasibility of offering this as an option. In the meantime we've partnered with MOR/Ryde to offer a $600 coupon for this wanting IS and Kodiak disc brakes. It's not the same as a factory option but it's at least something. If you or anyone else you know would like a coupon please let me know and I can send one out.

As for other brands offering it as an option - DRV does. Please keep in mind the cost difference between DRV and LM365 is going to be north of $20,000 which is way more money than scraping a pair of 8k axles. Just my opinion.

Have a great weekend. I'm playing Mr. Mom ( with the flu ) while my wife is in Indianapolis with her girlfriends at the Maroon 5 / Adam Lavine concert.

Talk soon
Tom

MHO - Since we have had the standard axles and upgraded to Mor-Ryde IS (8k) with disc brakes and never lube bearings on our last 3 fifth wheels. (1 Alfa Gold and 2 Landmark). We can attest to the greater value of the upgrade and the willingness to spend the money. The bigger question is how much is you safety worth? It is beyond value. Being able to stop the unit safely and being able to drive on the crummy roads in this country without shaking the unit to pieces is worth the cost. I think you will find many people who would take advantage of the option if it was offered.

T

TomMontague

There's no doubt Mor/Ryde IS and Kodiak Disc Brakes are a great addition to any fifth wheel. The additional safety for the owners and the protection provided to the unit during travel can't be denied. As stated in my prior post we are reviewing our options and meeting with Mor/Ryde to better understand the logistics and installation process.

Stay tuned...
Talk soon,
Tom

MrRvGypsy

Wow I wish the $600 coupon was available last year at this time when we took delivery of our LandMark Savannah and then immediately took it to Mor/Ryde for the IS/Dexter disc brake upgrade.
I would not be without it on a unit this size and value.

rnewk52

Greetings,
Since this thread started out comparing the Bighorns with the Landmarks we thought this would be the place to ask our questions. We spent yesterday at the Good Sam rally in Phoenix Az, and spent quite a bit of time comparing the Landmark and BH. We feel the quality in both brands have improved over the last few years. Our questions are; when these units are being built does the same crew (build team) stay with each unit from start to finish, or are there different crews at each stage of the build. Are there different crews for each brand?
Thanks,

AKDallBH

I just can't let one of your comments go..."being able to drive on the crummy roads in this country". We are extremely blessed with the roads we have, and are not nearly thankful enough. What other countries have built the miles of roads we have? How many could you drive a 20k-35k RV over.

I'm currently in Tok Alaska driving down the Alcan to pick up my 5th wheel that was left in Tacoma, WA for repairs this fall, then on down to Paris Texas to visit family. EVERY day I marvel that given where I am on the globe there is a road that has taken me there. Considering the location it is amazing the roads are as good as they are.

Be thankful for what we have

Stepping off the soap box now.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Greetings,
Since this thread started out comparing the Bighorns with the Landmarks we thought this would be the place to ask our questions. We spent yesterday at the Good Sam rally in Phoenix Az, and spent quite a bit of time comparing the Landmark and BH. We feel the quality in both brands have improved over the last few years. Our questions are; when these units are being built does the same crew (build team) stay with each unit from start to finish, or are there different crews at each stage of the build. Are there different crews for each brand?
Thanks,

Same line builds the LM, BH and BC. Same crew does not follow each unit to each station. The same people stay at each station no matter what of the 3 are being produced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TomMontague

This is correct. We are currently building LM, BH AND BC on the same line. It's been this way for a long time.

Talk soon,
Tom

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I just can't let one of your comments go..."being able to drive on the crummy roads in this country". We are extremely blessed with the roads we have, and are not nearly thankful enough. What other countries have built the miles of roads we have? How many could you drive a 20k-35k RV over.

I'm currently in Tok Alaska driving down the Alcan to pick up my 5th wheel that was left in Tacoma, WA for repairs this fall, then on down to Paris Texas to visit family. EVERY day I marvel that given where I am on the globe there is a road that has taken me there. Considering the location it is amazing the roads are as good as they are.

Be thankful for what we have

Stepping off the soap box now.

I have driven all over this country, Canada, Mexico and Japan. I have seen the condition of the roads in this country deteriorate over the last few years and like I said that is my opinion. The entire infrastructure in this country is in need of some serious repair, but again that is a topic for another thread.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Having had it both ways, even having Center point air system on 8k axles...I'd do it all over again! Didn't bat an eye...sent our Landmark directly to Mor Rydee for the IS...best money we EVER spent!