Is my 50 amp power cord long enough?

btbaillie

We are getting ready for our first trip with our new Sundance. The unit came with a 50 amp power cord 30 feet long. The power connector is on the rear and I was wondering if the cord is long enough. I realize all campgrounds are different, so should I purchase an extension?

Thanks,
Bruce

Niles

It's always great to have just a little extra, but in most cases 30 feet will be plenty. Most campgrounds have the pole in the middle or towards the rear of the trailer. We have had very few times we needed a extension, except when we were doing something odd. Plus a 50 amp cord is expensive, what we have done is get a 30 amp cord for a back up with a adapter for those times we're just a few inches short. If you want to run two air conditioners you will need to go with a 50 amp cord though.

Kbvols

I would recommend. I have had to use extension 2 of the 6 times I had the 5'er out. Admitently one of the times could have been avoided but wanted coach in a certain location. As others noted 30 amp extension will work and less expensive.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The only time I've needed extensions was when we took our pop-up or TT to a state park. With the BH and the CG we stay at, the pedestals are either in the middle or rear of the site. A little jockeying and the 50A cord is plenty long. Consider putting a mark or piece of tape on the side of the rig, say 20 feet forward of the plug-in on the side. Use that to determine where to position relative to a pedestal in the center or front of the site you're parking in. That will give you enough slack to angle the cord over to the pedestal.

What I would suggest is to have either a long (50ft.) water hose or an extra length. If the pedestal is at the rear of the site, you may need it to reach the city water connection.

In retrospect, I should add that I do have a 30A extension I kept from my previous TT, along with a 30A-50A adapter. Just have not needed to use it with the BH.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
A 50 amp extension is both expensive ans unwieldy. I carry a 30 amp extension and have used it several times over the years.

gebills

Good Morning btbaillie: We never anticipated needing an extension for the 30-footer that came with the BH, but before we got our 5'er home from its maiden 6,000 mile voyage, we used it in two different parks. One in MO and one in AZ. We were fortunate to catch a Camping World sale on when we went in to pick up the extension 50-amp 30-footer. We did encounter a park down in OR where we stopped overnight last fall, and I had to pull out a 100-foot 15-amp cord that I have set up for the BH's idle period in a storage yard. If you don't immediately need the cord, do a little research on finding a sale price, or go down to one of your favorite electrical supply stores and price the parts needed to put one together. Many times, when you find a camping supply vendor running a sale on a 50-amp cord, it's hard to buy the individual parts and put the cord together for some of the camping store sale prices you'll find. Good luck with your first trip, and enjoy that retirement time.....Happy Trails, gebills

jnbhobe

I have only used a 50 amp cord once in the last 5 yrs. I have about 80 ft of 30 amp. and use parts of it most of the time.

wdk450

Most WalMart RV sections carry a 30 amp extension cable. I bought one and need it when I plug into my portable generator that rides forward of the 5th wheel hitch in my truck. It has been used for shore power just a few times, but nice to have when you need it.

EandJ

Interesting. I was going to start a thread about if I should take back the 30 amp extension I bought when we had our old trailer. Never actually needed it - came close a couple of times with the old trailer. But with my Northtrail, I've got an extension for the city water hose and so far we have been nowhere close to needing the electrical extension. I was wondering if I should just get my money back. After reading everybody's replies, guess I will hang on to it. It might come in handy someday, and apparently can be used in a pinch even if we graduate up to a 5th wheel.

Manzan

I could have used an extension a couple of time with our old trailer, PITA to relocate after unhooking. Our North Trail cord is even shorter so I made a 30 amp extension cord. Of course, since I made it, have not needed it! Much better to be prepared.

scottyb

It is always better to have and not need, than to need and not have! IMHO :cool:

Rod Ditrich

That's my philosophy too. I needed an extension when I 1st brought the Cyclone home to reach my only service. I built a 50A x 50' out of #6-4 SO cable. Now, after building my RV pad and service, I only need a 10' cord when at home. I still take the 50' extension and have used it. I don't see needing it at an RV park, but at a race venue, you never know what you will need.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have a 50a extension that is 15ft. That is all I have ever needed and I have used it a number of times. I believe if you don't have one you should look into finding one.

I also have a 50a to 50a adaptor. I have been to a number of campgrounds that have the power source so low to the ground that I can't get my Surge Guard connected to the pedestal. I don't like to lay my surge guard on the ground so I put it on a 2x. I also cover it up with some extra 2x's to keep it from being rained on while laying flat on the ground.

DSC_0329M.jpg

It is interesting as to all the things we need to keep us working while staying in some campgrounds.

BC

btbaillie

Thanks for all the great advice. I bought a 50a to 30a adapter and a 30a extension 25' long. I only have one AC so this will work if we watch our power.<br><br>Bruce