Is this fixable?? 2013 Big Country 3690 kitchen slide problem.

MookieKat

We went to see a 2013 3690SL yesterday and we really liked it and everything looked OK except for this under the kitchen slide! They said that they would fix it, but am wondering it if is even truly fixable?

On the bottom of the slide, both ends of the slide are scraped (black cloth has been abraded off and plywood has been terribly scraped), with scuff marks in the middle of the slide floor and rot on the outside rear corner around black tubing.

I wonder what caused this, as we couldn't see above the microwave or the refrigerator to see if the water intrusion was from the top of the slide. We removed the drawer under the oven and saw that it was black in that corner, but did not see evidence of water intrusion, so this is quite puzzling.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any help that you can give!

View attachment 60925View attachment 60926View attachment 60926

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry...I thought I had attached pics, but they are not pulling up, so I don't know what to do.

mlpeloquin

We went to see a 2013 3690SL yesterday and we really liked it and everything looked OK except for this under the kitchen slide! They said that they would fix it, but am wondering it if is even truly fixable?

On the bottom of the slide, both ends of the slide are scraped (black cloth has been abraded off and plywood has been terribly scraped), with scuff marks in the middle of the slide floor and rot on the outside rear corner around black tubing.

I wonder what caused this, as we couldn't see above the microwave or the refrigerator to see if the water intrusion was from the top of the slide. We removed the drawer under the oven and saw that it was black in that corner, but did not see evidence of water intrusion, so this is quite puzzling.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks for any help that you can give!

View attachment 60925View attachment 60926View attachment 60926

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry...I thought I had attached pics, but they are not pulling up, so I don't know what to do.

I would not purchase anything unless it is fixed first and so I could inspect it. Would you purchased a wrecked car or truck with the promise that they would fix it after purchase? A used vehicle purchased is considered as is. So don't walk but run unless it is fixed to your satisfaction prior to purchase without any money down or commitment.

rhodies1

I would be very concerned with this damage,with black in drawers as mentioned is a sign of water intrusion over time.I personally would not consider buying this unit.
Yes they say they will fix but how good,
Are they going to find the leak and repair,you need to be concerned with delamination.
You can put lip stick on a pig but you still have a pig. Would not buy........

MookieKat

Thank you! They said that they would fix it before making a commitment, if we put down a refundable deposit. If it is not fixed to our satisfaction, we don't have to buy it.

sengli

The fact that the water proof material (darco) is rubbed off means that the slide is rubbing as it goes in and out. Thats not really a good thing, as most dealers arent set up to really work on issues of this nature from what I have seen. Sure they could patch the darco, for now... but the fact the plywood has been exposed to moisture means, it will soak up that water and start to come apart.

rhodies1

The best way and proper way to fix this slide is to remove from the unit. I’ll bet this dealer isn’t going to do that...Personally I would keep looking for another used unit in the network. I know it’s tempting and exciting to get a newer unit but leak damage is a real concern.you need to think about the fact that there could be water intrusion damage elsewhere that has not reared its ugly head yet...think hard before you leap...there’s a lot of good info hear and most of the feedback you have received in this issue is telling you to walk away.good luck on your decision

Bones

Thank you! They said that they would fix it before making a commitment, if we put down a refundable deposit. If it is not fixed to our satisfaction, we don't have to buy it.

I think everyone has made good points here about the slide. It sounds like the slide floor has been badly damaged and is coming apart. If the dealer truly had intentions of fixing the slide it would have been done so before someone looked at it and found the damage.

MookieKat

I think everyone has made good points here about the slide. It sounds like the slide floor has been badly damaged and is coming apart. If the dealer truly had intentions of fixing the slide it would have been done so before someone looked at it and found the damage.

One would think so! But, I have seen this to be the case with a lot of dealers. They don't fix anything until the unit is sold. I don't understand this type of sales approach, but it may be that if it doesn't sell, they will auction it off or salvage it, so it may not be worth fixing.

MookieKat

Not sure if you are willing to speak as to what the dealer is asking for this year model..

They are asking 29K for it, but of course, we would not pay that. There is a lot of wear and tear on the cabinets and woodwork.

- - - Updated - - -

The fact that the water proof material (darco) is rubbed off means that the slide is rubbing as it goes in and out. Thats not really a good thing, as most dealers arent set up to really work on issues of this nature from what I have seen. Sure they could patch the darco, for now... but the fact the plywood has been exposed to moisture means, it will soak up that water and start to come apart.

It's already been rubbed off...abraded on each end of the slide. They said that the slide would have to be taken out and fixed. I wonder how they can fix abrasion on the bottom of the slide. Looks like the mechanism of the slide is off.