It's ski season

danemayer

Our Rushmore is in front of the house. Aired up the tires and checked the lugnuts this morning. Basement is loaded. De-winterized and added 50 gallons to the fresh tank. Checked the furnace, water heater and generator. Refrigerator is cooling. Tomorrow we finish loading and Monday morning we hit the road.

Headed to Breckenridge, CO for our 4th annual extended ski vacation. If all goes well, we'll be skiing for 7 weeks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just returned from our two-week ski trip to Durango, Co. We wish Dan and Ruth Ann safe travels and hope they have as much fun as we did!!
9edebuju.jpg
ame6yqam.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
It's a deep freeze here in Colorado right now . . .

Only supposed to warm up to around 16 degrees on Sunday!

danemayer

Spent the night in Lubbock, TX. Either 17 or 19 F this morning depending on which weather station is reporting. Furnace and fireplace are keeping the interior comfy. Underbelly thermometer says 45. I don't remember who had the tip about running a loop of 2" duct with slits through the underbelly, but it works a lot better than just relying on the factory installed stub.

I added 15 gallons water to the fresh tank last night because the water riser in the park doesn't appear to have heat tape. Sure enough, no city water this morning so I'm pretty sure the faucet is frozen. We're on the pump.

Next stop is Raton, NM.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Spent the night in Lubbock, TX. Either 17 or 19 F this morning depending on which weather station is reporting. Furnace and fireplace are keeping the interior comfy. Underbelly thermometer says 45. I don't remember who had the tip about running a loop of 2" duct with slits through the underbelly, but it works a lot better than just relying on the factory installed stub.

I added 15 gallons water to the fresh tank last night because the water riser in the park doesn't appear to have heat tape. Sure enough, no city water this morning so I'm pretty sure the faucet is frozen. We're on the pump.

Next stop is Raton, NM.

No park water in the park we are in (Lufkin RV Resort in Lufkin TX) as the temps yesterday only got to 32 yesterday, down to 18 last night and right now as I write this it is 29. They say we will warm up to 42 today, so we shall see. Thank goodness for tank water and bottled water.

danemayer

Wednesday we stopped overnight at Cherry Creek State Park in Aurora, CO so we could visit with Ronn and Sarah Greengas. Good time, good people, and good food. Thanks Ronn and Sarah.

This morning we headed west on I-70, up through the Eisenhower Tunnel and on into Breckenridge.

Tiger-Run-Jan-9-2014.jpg

We're set up and are ready for extreme temps. It's 21F now (51 in the underbelly, 68 inside) and a winter storm is on the way. We could get 8-15" of snow over the next 36 hours along with wind gusts up to 70mph. Skiing should be excellent on Monday.

skyguy

Skied Copper Mountain on Wednesday - snowed all day! It has snowed every day since Sunday I think - great conditions!. Enjoy yourselves!

priorguy

Quick question Dan. With you being on the move every day in these temps how do you keep the trailer from freezing on the road? Do you leave the furnace running in transit? 12vdc heat trace? I'm pretty sure I've read the tank heaters are 120vac.

Thanks, you always seem to have the answer.

danemayer

Quick question Dan. With you being on the move every day in these temps how do you keep the trailer from freezing on the road? Do you leave the furnace running in transit? 12vdc heat trace? I'm pretty sure I've read the tank heaters are 120vac.

Thanks, you always seem to have the answer.

I've run the furnace a few times, including 2 legs of this trip. I don't usually worry about it in the morning because the interior is warm and the underbelly is still fairly warm. When we break for lunch, if the interior is below 40 and outside temps are low 20s or colder, I'll run the furnace during the afternoon.

priorguy

Thanks off the info, I'm sure there are others who were curious as well. I wasn't sure if it was safe to run with the furnace on. Same as having the fridge on I guess. Shut down for refuelling.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks off the info, I'm sure there are others who were curious as well. I wasn't sure if it was safe to run with the furnace on. Same as having the fridge on I guess. Shut down for refuelling.

We have traveled to Colorado for skiing, we left Texas winterized. For our overnight stops, we used bottled water + antifreeze for the (liquid) toilet and used park facilities for showers.

One we arrived to our final destination, we de-winterized. When it was time to head back, we've done a few things. 1. re-winterize, and avoid using tanks on return visit.

2. Don't winterize if the temps are above freezing, then winterize at another stop if the temps are going to be too low. (Usually heading back to Tx the temps get warmer.)

This last trip, when we left it was 17*. We were headed to Amarillo, where it was not going to be freezing that evening, so we did not winterize. When we got home (to our sticks and bricks), an arctic blast was headed our way, so we re-winterized the coach. Temps were in the 20s.

When you winterize often, it becomes a pretty quick process.

danemayer

Beautiful day for skiing today. And for those who saw Ann limping around in her walking boot last June, here's a picture of her on the slopes. The inset at lower left is from the hospital in April.

Ruth-Ann-April-to-January-web.jpg

Last edited: