I've been tasked to create a safety cover for the king pin / box when camping

bowhunt73

My kids are at that perfect height when walking or riding bikes to come into contact with the king pin or even the front lip of the box. Yes, a tripod stabilizer would keep the area cleared but I have a different type of stabilizer. That area is where we store the bikes during camping so it's just a matter of time with 5 bikes.

This is more of a concern at night. Oh, a light. That's a start. A split giant tennis ball (for dogs) would help with the pin but then there is the front lip of the box. Another idea could be a wood box that can slip over the lip.

I've searched on here and online. Just looking for ideas before I start to make something.

Input appreciated. Thanks.

jbeletti

Hi Michael!

Yeah - this thing is great. So was Ken's split pool noodle idea. But, this one also covers the king pin. That's critical to not getting scalped. BTDT! Also, one time, I was bent over and walked out while coming back up and scraped my spine hard on the king pin - ouch!!!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Great idea! Amy clipped her noggin last fall (not pretty) and I do the helicopter approach walk for ...oh...about two football fields before I start walking erect after being under there:):)

bowhunt73

That is it! Now that is why I love this site / forum / company so much. U guys are great. Thanks Jim. I'll go check it out right now.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jim, for some reason so far that is, I have not been hit by the pin or pin box yet. I almost did the other day. But that darn under hang itself. I start bending before I get there and still hit my head. Done this several times. And each time have almost knocked myself out! The guard you have would not help this. I guess I am just a gluten for punishment. :)

Hi Michael!

Yeah - this thing is great. So was Ken's split pool noodle idea. But, this one also covers the king pin. That's critical to not getting scalped. BTDT! Also, one time, I was bent over and walked out while coming back up and scraped my spine hard on the king pin - ouch!!!

Speedy

I bought one at the Tampa Show because I damaged my shoulder hitting the edge of the pinbox. **** near dislocated it (shoulder). Got the matching slide protectors as well.

Jim B sold me on it the first time I saw it. Get one you'll not regret it.

hoefler

I have hung a streamer from the pin box and tied a weight to it on the ground. When crouched down to get under the fifth wheel, you are always looking down. When coming back out, you can see the streamer and weight and avoid it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My pin box is normally too low for me to walk under it. And I hang our name plate and club plaque from it. Smacking into the edge of the overhang is another matter, however. If I could paint knowledge onto the edges, I'd be a genius by now.

porthole

Retired
These work great with the stock pinbox but since I switched to the 5th Airborne I now have a big piece of foam sitting on the shelf.

Well judging by JimB's picture it will fit on my MOR/ryde................................. Where we camping next?

porthole

Retired
A split giant tennis ball (for dogs) would help with the pin ..........

If I did that I would have too very upset golden retrievers :eek:

Some timing with this thread. I just came in from checking Deb's car and opened up this link. The battery was dead yesterday and the car is up in front of the Cyclone, and when I backed away from under the hood .............. at least it didn't hurt.

jbeletti

These work great with the stock pinbox but since I switched to the 5th Airborne I now have a big piece of foam sitting on the shelf.

Dave,

I know they make a few styles. Mine is made for the Mor/ryde.

Contact this guy - he can tell you if they can retrofit yours or otherwise make a 5th Airborne version. That pinbox seems to be gaining some traction lately.

Here ya go:
Jeff Shell
336-549-2685
safezone2@triad.rr.com

Jim