Jack placement for removing tires on Elkridge

Sunset4k

Good morning!!

The inevitable has happened!! Made the decision to replace the tires this week before an upcoming trip. Have tires ordered and started to hookup to tow the trailer 62 miles to Discount Tire, only to find 2 of the tires have very large bubbles on the sidewall. One is as big as my hand. I doubt it will make it the 62 miles and I don't want to take the chance. I have 4, 4 ton bottle Jacks. Where is the best place to place the Jacks?? I've read not to place them under the axels. Has anyone done this???

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
hu3e3a9y.jpg

ma9u5aqy.jpg

Here ya go! This is our trailer at Discount, getting new tires. Be sure to stay hitched to truck before jacking.

Bottle jacks are on either side of the tires, lifting the frame. Two people need to pump the jacks at the same rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
The easiest that I have found for me is to get the rig hooked up to the truck and chock the wheels on the opposite side you want raised. I use a 6 ton but others have larger capacity jacks. I use a couple of 2x12's and a concrete block if available and place the jack on the frame rail just aft of the tires and I can raise both tires of the ground and it's very stable.

Dean-Pam

I'm still new to this, but why are you not supposed to change the tire(s) by placing the jack under the axle? I'm always looking to learn something new.

Gary521

I change tires by placing a jack under the axel but I only do it one at a time. I get the jack as close to the spring mount as I can. This way you are only pushing up the spring and not the trailer weight. There is also a bit of concern for safety in having the jack slip off the axel if you tried holding the entire trailer weight. There are some bottle jack adapters for placing under an axel. I believe that an axel can be damaged if done improperly.

danemayer

I'm still new to this, but why are you not supposed to change the tire(s) by placing the jack under the axle? I'm always looking to learn something new.
The axle assembly has a thin wall that can be damaged when you try to lift and support thousands of pounds by jacking against it in one spot. The normal weight of the trailer is not applied to that area.

If you disregard Lippert/Dexter instructions, you're risking losing warranty if there's a problem later, whether you think it was caused by the jack or not.

Birchwood

hu3e3a9y.jpg

ma9u5aqy.jpg

Here ya go! This is our trailer at Discount, getting new tires. Be sure to stay hitched to truck before jacking.

Bottle jacks are on either side of the tires, lifting the frame. Two people need to pump the jacks at the same rate.

Thanks for the photos,2 questions......were they able to remove the wheels without slightly jacking the axles and did you suggest this jacking method or is this a regular RV jacking routine for Discount Tire.

olcoon

When I had the tires replaced on our Elk Ridge, the local tire shop was going to jack it up (no pun intended!) on the axel. I insisted that they use the frame, & they said they've never done it that way, & never had anyone request it be done that way. I stood my ground & they used the frame with no argument. I think I was a fly in the ointment for them, as I'd also requested the tires to be balanced, & I didn't realize that they hadn't balanced them until they were putting on the last tire, so they had to do it all over again...and it was almost quitting time.

caissiel

In 22 years I always jack under the axle. Its more a safety problem than any other reason. But most tire shops place the jack away from the spring mount, and there would be more damaged axle.
I do have to jack by the frame to service the springs.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks for the photos,2 questions......were they able to remove the wheels without slightly jacking the axles and did you suggest this jacking method or is this a regular RV jacking routine for Discount Tire.

These are our jacks. We've jacked this way before. That were going to jack the axle, but I stopped them. DH and I used our blocks and our two 12T jacks, as you see, to raise the trait and get both tires barely off the ground. No jacking axle needed. We have used one jack to get one wheel up, but feel this way is safer and reduces the possibility of errors.