Jackson Hole Wyoming

jhardin

I truly appreciate the input from the people that gave us tips and suggestions on our Colorado trip this past October. Your help made it an awesome adventure! Thanks again!
Now, I need your help again, we are making plans for a trip from South Georgia to Jackson Hole Wyoming (3 weeks round trip). We do plan to see as many attractions as possible. We were thinking a home base in Jackson Hole (?). Looking for any suggestions on places to stay, visit or whatever you think would be interesting.

Thanks for you help in advance,
Jerry and Angela

Lynn1130

That is a trip that you may want to buy a couple of travel books and look them over. I am sure you will get suggestions but I will tell you that there is so much to see that a week will not be enough time, assuming you are traveling the other two. On top of that you will want to consider reservations if you plan to do it during the vacation months. It is busy and crowded.

MTPockets

My personal opinion about Jackson Hole is negative. Today it's pretty well highly commercial, modernized gift shops; really crowded and high prices.. West Yellowstone or Cody is more to our liking in that part of the West.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That is a trip that you may want to buy a couple of travel books and look them over. I am sure you will get suggestions but I will tell you that there is so much to see that a week will not be enough time, assuming you are traveling the other two. On top of that you will want to consider reservations if you plan to do it during the vacation months. It is busy and crowded.

X2. We were there pre-5er. Not only do you have the town of Jackson but the Teton and Yellowstone NP. Idaho is just up over the pass to the west. National Forests all around.
Don't expect to sleep...too much to do if you're only there a week!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fritzwell

IMHO, best way to see Jackson Hole is by postcard any time of the year. I would suggest Cody also, neat town with lots of history, or Cooke City. The road from Gardner to Cooke City is open year round. You enter from Yellowstone's North gate and travel to the NE gate, mother nature at her finest. I don't think the Chief Joseph highway is open this time of the year, but it's a totally unbelievable ride from Cooke to Cody.

jimtoo

If you go to Cody, plan on at least 3 days in Cody. It is an awesome town with lots of history. A fantastic museum that you will need 2 days to look at and still not see everything there. Your entry ticket even is good for 2 days.

jhardin

Now we will be planning on 4 weeks..... Keep on with the suggestions... Thanks a million!

travelin2

Now we will be planning on 4 weeks..... Keep on with the suggestions... Thanks a million!

Add another week...if you're coming from/going to Cody, you have to stop overnight or two
b13add5e2c0dfc2e8cbad81d54bbb105.jpg
65ca2c74cdecf139fc1d867c34af0eef.jpg
8ca98db48ae9a8711fba407ad69fdc41.jpg
at the Bighorn Canyon NP just outside Lovell WY...

BLHFUN

If you stay at the Jackson Hole RV park off Moose highway (west loop). Do not... I repeat... DO NOT connect to the water without a regulator. Pretty sure I missed the sign and the conversation about 125psi from the spigot. 2 days to repair the damage. (2005 in my Discovery). probably my favorite trip of all time. The most incredible views ever!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Jackson Hole, "Where the Millionaires are complaining about the Billionaires"
Beautiful area, Take lots of $$$$$$!

Manzan

I have been to Jackson several times. Tent, tent trailer and hard side. Jackson is a big tourist trap. But with that in mind, it is a lot of fun. Have stayed there and made day trips up into Yellowstone. Last time there, stayed in a trailer park in the town of Jackson--crowded but OK. Can't remember the name of it off hand. Bought three slabs of Bison Back Ribs to take home and smoke. Just fit in the freezer compartment in the fridge. Best Bison I ever had!

travelin2

I have been to Jackson several times. Tent, tent trailer and hard side. Jackson is a big tourist trap. But with that in mind, it is a lot of fun. Have stayed there and made day trips up into Yellowstone. Last time there, stayed in a trailer park in the town of Jackson--crowded but OK. Can't remember the name of it off hand. Bought three slabs of Bison Back Ribs to take home and smoke. Just fit in the freezer compartment in the fridge. Best Bison I ever had!

We've found, since we've been empty nesters, the time to see these high profile "tourist traps" is during the shoulder seasons. Less crowded, some prices a bit less if you look around, some family attractions might be closed, but... The weather is usually nice depending if it's spring or fall.
We stay home, for the most part, in July and August while the families are out and about in mass.

Lou_and_Bette

I would agree that Cody is the place to go but I think Jackson Hole would be out of the day trip range. We went from Cody to Island Park, Idaho which is 13 miles from the west entrance of Yellowstone and about 70 miles from Jackson Hole and Teton park. We stayed at Valley View RV Park. Not the fanciest park we ever stayed at but roomy and easy to get into. Camp personnel very nice. If you do stay here and go to Jackson Hole, ask the park staff about the place you must stop at after buying 2 loafs of bread. There is a place where you can feed a multitude of trout, some of them look as long as you're arm.

Lynn1130

I will add another option here just for grins. Jackson Hole and Yellowstone are places to see and if I were doing it again I would spend a few days doing that. As mentioned, the best times to do that are when the kids are in school but keep in mind Winter can come early and can also stay late at those latitudes so expect foul weather at times. Since this trip is already planned, do your traveling and sightseeing early and get off of the roads by 10-11 AM. By that time the kids are up and fed and the families are on the road. It can become a zoo. We found parking lots nearly empty and rock star viewing locations at 7 or 8 AM. Animal watching is better in the early morning anyway. Cody is a good stop and has some interesting sights but I don't have room for that many Tee shirts or coffee cups. It is a tourist destination so expect those kind of shops and plenty of them.

By far the best sights are in/at Glacier and across the border at Waterton, Alberta. After you have seen Old Faithful (which isn't so much any more) and the back end of a gazillion cars and trucks, make the trek to Glacier. You will not be disappointed. The sights are beautiful and while there are crowds, it is a little like the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It is further to travel and a little out of the way so the crowds are smaller.

Attachments

• P8220034.jpg
    P8220034.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 49
  • P8220020.jpg
    P8220020.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 47

travelin2

Since we're now leading the OP to Glacier NP, here's Lake McDonald
c55aec3c4f20313651f175dec8b07e05.jpg

olcoon

We were in Jackson Hole a few years ago, and agree...the whole town is a tourist trap. However there are a few redeeming qualities. Close to the Tetons, the Elk Refuge. We stayed there in (I think) the KOA for a few days. While there the campground recommended going on a "wagon train" dinner ride that was outstanding. Everything was cooked "chuck wagon" style in dutch ovens over a campfire, they also had entertainment that was real good. Also on the square in Jackson Hole there was a sandwich shop that had some outstanding sourdough bread if you like that. Other than that and the scenery, I'd pass on Jackson Hole.

lishshel

Depending on when you plan to travel, check the web for road closures in Yellowstone. They are usually not opened until late May because of the snow. I would stop in Jackson Hole for only a day or 2, but then continue on through Teton NP to Yellowstone NP. If you have never been there, it is definitly worth a visit. You can easily spend 3 or 4 days in Yellowstone because it is big and there is alot to see. You might consider making West Yellowstone your home base since tickets for Yellowstone are good for 7 days, and West Yellowstone is right on the border of Yellowstone NP. You would need reservations in any campground in the park area during the summer. As for Glacier NP, it is very beautiful and worth the trip, but you can't pull a trailer over Going to the Sun Road which is very steep and winding. I think the limit is 30 feet total vehicle length. It is also at least a long day's drive from Yellowstone. If you have the time, it would be nice to see both Yellowstone and Glacier Parks, just plan on leaving your trailer at a campground at the bottom if you get to Glacier. While in Jackson you could drive out to Teton Village to ride the gondola and then have dinner with the Bar J Wranglers (they have a web site). Whatever you decide to do, have fun!