From Georgia to Wyoming

jhardin

Need help and opinions on a 3 week trip from Georgia to Wyoming first 3 weeks in September. Places to
camp, etc.....

Watcha think about going:

I-24W toward Clarksville
I-57N toward Chicago
I-64 toward St. Louis
I-70 West
I-29 N
I-90 West
Then what road would I take to Cody?

We have traveled I-70 before to Colorado, DW is thinking about going further North
before going West, just for a different scenery....any suggestions?
Cody is just a suggestion, open for all ideas and sites to stay and see.

Thanks in advance,
Jerry

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you're heading to Cody stay at the Bighorn national rec area Lovell WY
98b4a891433f08ed8877013f0fecbaad.jpg
db16dd59562af0ce960d1d546390b481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhardin

travelin2

What is the website and camp ground to the pic you posted. All I can find
is different camp grounds in Bighorn Canyon National Rec.?

jimtoo

When you go to Cody, plan on 2 days just for the museum. It's is one of the most awesome museum you will visit. Your entry covers 2 days. It is really like 5 museums in one. It is so large they even have a place to eat inside. It is The Buffalo Bill Center of the West.

We stayed at the The Ponderosa Campground right in Cody for the Heartland rally. It is very nice park, easy in and out and close to everything.

Lots of other things to see and do around Cody also.

Jim M

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

MCTalley

I-90 West
Then what road would I take to Cody?

Hop off I-90 at Buffalo, Wyoming.
Take US 16 West to US 20.
Take US 20 North to US 14.
Take US 14 West to Cody.

There was recent discussion that US 16 across the Bighorn mountains is much preferable over US 14 when pulling an RV.

jhardin

We stayed at the The Ponderosa Campground right in Cody for the Heartland rally. It is very nice park, easy in and out and close to everything.

Lots of other things to see and do around Cody also.

Jimtoo,
I already have reservations at Ponderosa for 3 days. Would that be a good base camp and go to Yellow Stone and other places? If so, how many more days you think I may need?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The route you have listed from GA is the way we went from Knoxville TN in 2009. We stopped for a week in the Black Hills of SD at Rafter J Bar Ranch in Hill City. Nice campground and convenient to a lot of fun things to do (Mt Rushmore, CrazyHorse, Custer State Park, Wind Cave NP, Devil's Tower to name a few). From Hill City on the advise of Ponderosa Campground, we went down to Custer and came across the state on Hwy 16. 16 runs into I-90 and then we did what the Talleys did, got off at Buffalo WY staying on 16 to hwy 20, north to hwy 14 into Cody. Agree that the museum in Cody is well worth the time.
DSCN0846.jpg

jimtoo

If you have the time I would stay for at least 4 or 5 days in Cody if you like the West and history. They have moved lots of old buildings into a couple different places in town and restored them to a point and there is just a lot to drive and see in the area.

East entrance to Yellowstone and drive around the lake to the main part of the park.. just beautiful country.

Jim M